Started by TurboDan, February 13, 2010, 09:17:52 AM

MrH

Quote from: Tave on February 15, 2010, 12:14:52 AM
What are you talking about?

I was wondering the exact same thing. :wtf: :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2010, 01:58:55 PM
Other than the most recent ones, the previous gen Civic Si were not that great, price wise/performance wise, you're better off getting an Integra/RSX.  Even the currently one is pretty similar to the last RSX Type S
I have only ever driven my buddy's SiR which was a little better then the regular Si, but other then that, I've never driven any other recent Civic.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on February 15, 2010, 01:56:26 PM
But based on the fact that he has posted write-ups of the current generation and that there is no 2005 Mugen, I think it's entirely safe to say he was talking about 2006 and up.
I don't follow the Civic, so I had no idea. :cheers:

Tave

Unless I'm mistaken, the previous Si was only available as a hatch. That's the easiest way to tell it apart from the new model. Did you Northerners get a sedan/coupe too?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on February 15, 2010, 02:05:59 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, the previous Si was only available as a hatch. That's the easiest way to tell it apart from the new model. Did you Northerners get a sedan/coupe too?
The 2005 model came only as an ugly hatchback.  Not saying hatchbacks are ugly, it's just that one was.  The 2006 and up comes as a coupe.

NomisR

I think with the previous gen, the hatchback was also only available in Si.

Either way, that gen was not very impressive, a bit too soft.

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2010, 02:15:16 PM
I think with the previous gen, the hatchback was also only available in Si.

Either way, that gen was not very impressive, a bit too soft.
It came in SiR as well.  My buddy has one.  I don't know what you mean by soft, but his is very rough riding.  It corners very flat, but the suspension is hard as rocks, and his car is 100% stock.

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 02:19:43 PM
It came in SiR as well.  My buddy has one.  I don't know what you mean by soft, but his is very rough riding.  It corners very flat, but the suspension is hard as rocks, and his car is 100% stock.

Yeah, in the US, the Si is the SiR in Canadia.  And Si in Canadia is the EX in the US I believe.  But my feeling was, the engine was a bit underpowered and chassis a bit flexible and the suspension is bit of the soft side for what it claims to be.  The current Si is a lot better compromise. 

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2010, 02:35:02 PM
Yeah, in the US, the Si is the SiR in Canadia.  And Si in Canadia is the EX in the US I believe.  But my feeling was, the engine was a bit underpowered and chassis a bit flexible and the suspension is bit of the soft side for what it claims to be.  The current Si is a lot better compromise. 
No we had the Si and the SiR.  The stock suspension in the SiR that my buddy has is rock hard.  It's not too soft at all.  If anything it's bone jarring.

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 03:20:57 PM
No we had the Si and the SiR.  The stock suspension in the SiR that my buddy has is rock hard.  It's not too soft at all.  If anything it's bone jarring.

Maybe Canadian version are different.. probably stated it wrong but I mean,

Canadian Si = US Ex

Canadian SiR = US Si

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 03:20:57 PM

The Civic trim structure is different in Canada.  Your SiR was the same as our Si model (the EP3 hatchback model).  Your Si model model comparable to our EX model.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Okay.  That's stupid.  I hate when they do that.

The suspension in the Si/SiR is not too soft.  I've driven it and ridden in it quite a bit and it's downright bone jarring.  The Si/SiR had just a handful of horsepower less then my SVT, but my car weighs like 200 lbs less and has a much better power curve.  The Honda is very peaky, but the SVT starts generating good power as low as 2500 rpm all the way to the 7500 rpm redline.

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 03:32:44 PM
Okay.  That's stupid.  I hate when they do that.

The suspension in the Si/SiR is not too soft.  I've driven it and ridden in it quite a bit and it's downright bone jarring.  The Si/SiR had just a handful of horsepower less then my SVT, but my car weighs like 200 lbs less and has a much better power curve.  The Honda is very peaky, but the SVT starts generating good power as low as 2500 rpm all the way to the 7500 rpm redline.

Yeah, that Civic isn't really that good compared to RSX of the same era for the price.  The current one is significantly better.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 01:50:27 PM
Raza didn't specify the model year.  He just said "later".  Raza, please specify what model year you were speaking of.

I meant the current generation.  I've never driven the EP3, even though it's said to be a good car, it was a letdown for hardcore Honda fans, especially when compared to the hardcore Euro R.  The SVT Focus did beat the EP3 Si in Car and Driver. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2010, 03:37:46 PM
Yeah, that Civic isn't really that good compared to RSX of the same era for the price.  The current one is significantly better.

Of course, the RSX is:
1.  No longer available.
2.  Not available as a sedan.
3.  More expensive when on sale simultaneously.
4.  More expensive when comparing used to used.
5.  About the same price or slightly cheaper comparing used to new.

Did you really say "This car isn't a good value because this more expensive car that isn't sold anymore is just as good"?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on February 15, 2010, 06:30:16 PM
Of course, the RSX is:
1.  No longer available.
2.  Not available as a sedan.
3.  More expensive when on sale simultaneously.
4.  More expensive when comparing used to used.
5.  About the same price or slightly cheaper comparing used to new.

Did you really say "This car isn't a good value because this more expensive car that isn't sold anymore is just as good"?

The EP3 Si is no longer available and not available as a sedan
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 15, 2010, 06:53:47 PM
The EP3 Si is no longer available and not available as a sedan

Oh, this time I thought you were talking about the current Civic Si.

If we are talking about the EP3, those things are like half the price of RSXs on the used market.  Good cars, but unloved by the Honda community, which means low prices. 

I was shopping EP3 and SVT Focus when I bought my Jetta.  Had I been half an hour earlier to a dealership, I might be driving a black SVT Focus now instead of the Jetta. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21308.msg1270565#msg1270565 date=1266291576
Oh, this time I thought you were talking about the current Civic Si.

If we are talking about the EP3, those things are like half the price of RSXs on the used market.  Good cars, but unloved by the Honda community, which means low prices. 

I was shopping EP3 and SVT Focus when I bought my Jetta.  Had I been half an hour earlier to a dealership, I might be driving a black SVT Focus now instead of the Jetta. 
Take it back and get the right car.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 08:49:54 PM
Take it back and get the right car.

30 minutes was all the difference.  I was set on the SVTF or EP3, leaning slightly toward the EP3 because of things I'd heard about the Focus being rustprone.  Half an hour, and I'd have no car payment.  My life would be completely different.  Well, not completely. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 12:00:53 PM
Really?  My buddy has a pristine 2005 Civic SiR, and after he drove my SVT Focus he's been begging me to sell it to him.  He prefers the ride, the seats, the steering, the transmission, the engine, the sound, and the styling.  He prefers the Civics interior and cornering, but that's it.

Interesting. I haven't driven the SVT Focus, but I really enjoyed the EP3 Si I drove. I will say that the car really shined in the corners, so at least we're in agreement about that.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Not my type, but I'd hit it. 

This is more my speed though:

Oh, no girls.  Here's one I quite fancy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

I think the Eos is hot... I don't quite think the same for the chick.  (One I posted)  She just looks so.... filthy/disgusting.
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Quote from: 68_427 on February 15, 2010, 10:46:08 PM
I think the Eos is hot... I don't quite think the same for the chick.  (One I posted)  She just looks so.... filthy/disgusting.

The kind you would bring home to mother...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

68_427

The kind you bring home and have sex with... but make sure she's gone before mother comes home.
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on February 15, 2010, 10:46:08 PM

I agree, but filthy whores have their uses as well.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 15, 2010, 09:29:51 PM
Interesting. I haven't driven the SVT Focus, but I really enjoyed the EP3 Si I drove. I will say that the car really shined in the corners, so at least we're in agreement about that.

The SVTF provides a better balance between ride comfort and handling.  The SVTF is no slouch in the corners, but it leans a little more then the Civic Si does. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on February 15, 2010, 11:29:51 PM
The SVTF provides a better balance between ride comfort and handling.  The SVTF is no slouch in the corners, but it leans a little more then the Civic Si does. 

That's what I loved so much about the Si (your SiR, apparently). It cornered FLAT. I didn't think the ride was too harsh either, but I can't remember the condition of the roads I drove it on.

Raza

I'm not a good judge of ride harshness.  When I find a car that's uncomfortably stiff, I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i