2011 Nissan Patrol

Started by omicron, February 15, 2010, 08:53:52 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: Galaxy on March 23, 2010, 01:42:56 PM
397km/h? No way.

Yeah it does seem unlikely, though apparently the most powerful Patrols are putting down 2000hp or something.

I think it's just the guesstimation based on how far around the speedo went or something (probably not accurate and highly optimistic)

Like this guy here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ogAb5veJU0&feature=related

Acceleration wise though, they should be a good match for a veyron.

Here's a patrol playing with some Hayabusas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MWzIIhOhKM&feature=player_embedded

Here is a drag prepped one trapping about 160mph in the 1/4 mile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5fvc1kY4w

8.8 seconds.

I wonder if you could drop this engine into say... a 240SX.

Eye of the Tiger

^WHy does all this crazy shit only happen in Dubai?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

While the power is there, I'm not sure the aerodynamics would allow for such ridiculous speed...I could be wrong though.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

nickdrinkwater

The Escudo could top 400km/h on GT3  :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: Submariner on March 26, 2010, 08:31:26 PM
While the power is there, I'm not sure the aerodynamics would allow for such ridiculous speed...I could be wrong though.

What? You just need more power to overcome aerodynamic drag  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Galaxy

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 27, 2010, 11:37:58 PM
What? You just need more power to overcome aerodynamic drag  :huh:

The Veyron just barely manages to break 400km/h. Of course this apparenty has 400 or so more horses under the hood, however the wind resistance of this thing is going to be much worse. Would not surprise me if it is more then three times as high.

giant_mtb

Surprisingly, the Veryon isn't as aerodynamic as you might think.  Google tells me it has a "normal" Cd of .41, and when it's in super-awesome-shit-your-pants mode, it drops to .36.  Respectable, but there're plenty of production cars with lower Cd than that.  Such as...a Mazda6, a Genesis, a Mercedes, a G37...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2010, 09:39:55 AM
Surprisingly, the Veryon isn't as aerodynamic as you might think.  Google tells me it has a "normal" Cd of .41, and when it's in super-awesome-shit-your-pants mode, it drops to .36.  Respectable, but there're plenty of production cars with lower Cd than that.  Such as...a Mazda6, a Genesis, a Mercedes, a G37...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

Many super/hyper cars have high Cd's to promote downforce.  Even still, an SUV of the Patrols size is going to have far, far greater levels.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Of course, but drag is drag.  Tahoes and Durangos have Cd's of .39.  Regardless of how the air force is being applied (as down- or up-force), that's how much drag it experiences.  I'd suspect a Patrol's Cd to be of a similar quantity and thus find it believable that one could achieve such speeds with that much power.  400 more HP than a Veyron in a vehicle with a slightly worse Cd...I can see it.

GoCougs

Not to nit pick, but Cd is meaningless without frontal area.

The highest performance 4-wheeled vehicles of the land (F1 cars) have atrocious Cd for reasons of down force - easily double that of your average passenger car car - however, it's relative minor in context since frontal area is so small.

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2010, 09:48:27 AM
Of course, but drag is drag.  Tahoes and Durangos have Cd's of .39.  Regardless of how the air force is being applied (as down- or up-force), that's how much drag it experiences.  I'd suspect a Patrol's Cd to be of a similar quantity and thus find it believable that one could achieve such speeds with that much power.  400 more HP than a Veyron in a vehicle with a slightly worse Cd...I can see it.

Don't forget about Cd * frontal area.

Edit: I didn't see coug's post  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 28, 2010, 12:22:57 PM
The highest performance 4-wheeled vehicles of the land (F1 cars) have atrocious Cd for reasons of down force - easily double that of your average passenger car car - however, it's relative minor in context since frontal area is so small.

McLaren has solved the Cd problem this season with this:

And the engine cover:

Normally the air gets blown into the cockpit, but on a straight the drivers put his knee over the hole which changes the air pressure and causes the air to get channeled through the car and the engine cover to hit the rear wing in a way that causes it to stall, lowing the air resistance. The McLaren has by far the highest top speed in this years grid. The trick gives them a 10km/h lead.
Of course the other teams complained since active aero on the rear wing is illegal, however the FIA ruled that since it is dependent apon the driver and not the car it is consistant with regulations. The FIA's technical Director Charlie Whiting called it "Simple but brilliant."

giant_mtb

What do you mean it's meaningless without frontal area?  Frontal area is in the equation for Cd...?  You can't calculate a drag coefficient without an area...

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2010, 01:38:00 PM
What do you mean it's meaningless without frontal area?  Frontal area is in the equation for Cd...?  You can't calculate a drag coefficient without an area...

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 28, 2010, 01:08:27 PM
Don't forget about Cd * frontal area.

Edit: I didn't see coug's post  :lol:

Citing Cd by itself is meaningless in the context it was being discussed (drag).

giant_mtb

So....you're saying that the coefficient of drag is meaningless when talking about, uh, drag?

giant_mtb

"In fluid dynamics, the drag coefficient (commonly denoted as Cd, Cx or Cw) is a dimensionless quantity that is used to quantify the drag or resistance of an object in a fluid environment such as air or water."

S204STi

Look at it this way... a city bus might have the same Cd, but that doesn't mean it has the same drag.  At least that's what I'm gathering here.

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on March 28, 2010, 01:56:47 PM
Look at it this way... a city bus might have the same Cd, but that doesn't mean it has the same drag.  At least that's what I'm gathering here.

EXACTLY.

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on March 28, 2010, 01:56:47 PM

Yeah, that makes sense since the power required to overcome drag force is given by:

...but he's saying that the coefficient of drag is meaningless when talking about drag.  Which makes no sense.

S204STi

No, he said that in this context it is meaningless.

giant_mtb

K.  I understand what y'all are sayin'.  And thanks for the enlightenment.

nickdrinkwater

Looks like they stuck an Infiniti grille on it and hey presto, the QX 56:

Interior looks nice I guess.

CALL_911

Interior's nice, exterior is, um, unique.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 29, 2010, 10:49:09 AM
Looks like they stuck an Infiniti grille on it and hey presto, the QX 56:

Interior looks nice I guess.

I just read that the initially designed the QX and reversed it to the Nissan after. Interesting move

And it kinda reminds me of the Land Cruiser/LX

Raza

Actually, that's a very good point, not a nit at all.  Cd is a nice figure to throw around and compare academically, but without frontal area, it's hard to get meaningful real world data out of it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.