Which "Twin" would you prefer to have?

Chevrolet Cobalt SS S/C
18 (81.8%)
Saturn ION Redline
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 19

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 21, 2010, 09:52:28 AM
The Superb is indeed on the same platform as the Passat, the VW B platform. He's not wrong when he says they're platform mates.

It is more than a rebadge, however.

Also, what the hell does experience have to do with knowing what platform a car is based on? :confused:

The Superb is on a stretched version of the Passat platform, as Raz says.  If we're going by platforms, these two have less in common that the first-generation Audi TT and the Golf MkIV.  And you wouldn't call those two cars twins...

The other posts of this thread (Saturn vs Chevy, Firebird vs Camaro) are cars which differ only cosmetically.  I thought that's what was meant by twins.

As for my other point, I'm referring to 2o6 making patronising remarks when I doubt (and I could be wrong) he has even driven either car.  I have driven the Passat extensively, and had a good look around the latest Superb.  I don't object to somebody who has no experience of either car posting information about the subject, but I resent the patronising tone that makes it sound as if they know everything there is to know.

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21366.msg1275090#msg1275090 date=1266774123
To my knowledge, the Skoda Superb has been a stretched Passat platform for some time.  

According to Wikipedia:

"The ?koda Superb is a large family car primarily built by the Czech car manufacturer ?koda Auto as its flagship car. The versions produced from 2001 to date are based on the platform of the Volkswagen Passat, but are elongated by 10 centimetres (3.9 in), and shares its major mechanicals and powertrain with the Passat, and therefore the larger resources of ?koda Auto's parent company Volkswagen Group. It is currently the largest and most luxurious model in ?koda's model range."

It goes into more detail from there, but being Wikipedia, judge accuracy for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoda_Superb

It looks like the same situation as the Mazda6/Ford Fusion.

That's true that someone of the powertrains are shared, but not all.  For example, the Superb diesel is currently available with either a 1.9TDI pump duse (not available on Passat), a 2.0 TDI pump duse with 140ps (not available on Passat) and a 2.0 TDI common rail with 170 (which is available on the Passat).

The Passat is a saloon/sedan, the Superb is a hatchback!

As you say, judge the accuracy of Wikipedia for yourself.

Byteme

Twins?  How about these?

Oh you mean cars; sorry. 

2o6

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 21, 2010, 11:22:11 AM
The Superb is on a stretched version of the Passat platform, as Raz says.  If we're going by platforms, these two have less in common that the first-generation Audi TT and the Golf MkIV.  And you wouldn't call those two cars twins...

The other posts of this thread (Saturn vs Chevy, Firebird vs Camaro) are cars which differ only cosmetically.  I thought that's what was meant by twins.

As for my other point, I'm referring to 2o6 making patronising remarks when I doubt (and I could be wrong) he has even driven either car.  I have driven the Passat extensively, and had a good look around the latest Superb.  I don't object to somebody who has no experience of either car posting information about the subject, but I resent the patronising tone that makes it sound as if they know everything there is to know.

And this has what to do with the thread? Nothing. The Superb and Passat are both midsize sedans with similar power output and platform structure.

That's true that someone of the powertrains are shared, but not all.  For example, the Superb diesel is currently available with either a 1.9TDI pump duse (not available on Passat), a 2.0 TDI pump duse with 140ps (not available on Passat) and a 2.0 TDI common rail with 170 (which is available on the Passat).

And the ION is a quad coupe and the Cobalt only has two doors. Your point? The cobalt also got a 2.4L engine that the ION never got. Don't forget the 2.0T that is in the latest SS and never was in the ION. I would be comparing two cars of similar spec as is what is in this thread.

CALL_911

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 21, 2010, 11:22:11 AM

Dude, a stretched version of a platform is still the same platform. I wouldn't call the TT and the MKIV Golf twins, but I'd certainly call them 1st cousins. When he says twins, he could mean platform mates, and more importantly, platform mates competing for similar market segments.

Also, what difference does it make if he's driven a car or not? He's discussing the cars' platforms! I don't think you need to drive the car and know it inside and out in order to know that they're closely related.

The Superb is something of a hatchback-sedan hybrid. Honestly, your point is like saying the A4 wagon isn't related to the S5 at all, due to the fact that they're completely different.

I may not be getting what your point is, but you are being rather illogical. It's not often that I'd be defending 2o6, but I feel he's right on this one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

G3 or Aveo? Fake fender vent or no vent? GO!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2010, 12:48:36 PM

G3. The grille on the Hatch is much less offensive than the gaping maw on the Aveo.

However, we are still on the ION and Cobalt.

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2010, 12:48:36 PM

I hear the Pontiac is a real sports car compared to the Aveo. Driving excitement!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Aveo. That way I can say I have a budget Corvette, as opposed to a budget GTO.

Corvette>GTO.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Jon?

Quote from: 2o6 on February 21, 2010, 12:49:39 PM
G3. The grille on the Hatch is much less offensive than the gaping maw on the Aveo.

However, we are still on the ION and Cobalt.

You're not the boss of me.

I vote G3.  You got it, Pontiac!

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

the Teuton

I have to mention that they never made a G3 sedan. The lesser stablemate to the Pontiac, the Aveo, has both. And the Aveo hatch sucks compared to the sedan...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

93JC

the Teuton

93JC

The first gen. was way hotter:

Jon?

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that was a South Korean car that GM brought over to cut costs.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

r0tor

I tried to auto-x an ion redline at some GM event... the cobalt has to be better then that epic understeering failboat
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on February 21, 2010, 06:25:10 PM
I tried to auto-x an ion redline at some GM event... the cobalt has to be better then that epic understeering failboat

They're the same car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

I still maintain it can't be worse... only better
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

omicron

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 2o6 on February 21, 2010, 12:17:49 PM

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 21, 2010, 12:38:11 PM
Dude, a stretched version of a platform is still the same platform. I wouldn't call the TT and the MKIV Golf twins, but I'd certainly call them 1st cousins. When he says twins, he could mean platform mates, and more importantly, platform mates competing for similar market segments.

Also, what difference does it make if he's driven a car or not? He's discussing the cars' platforms! I don't think you need to drive the car and know it inside and out in order to know that they're closely related.

The Superb is something of a hatchback-sedan hybrid. Honestly, your point is like saying the A4 wagon isn't related to the S5 at all, due to the fact that they're completely different.

I may not be getting what your point is, but you are being rather illogical. It's not often that I'd be defending 2o6, but I feel he's right on this one.

Ok guys.  I was obviously taking this a bit too seriously, and having a bad day.  Apologies if I was a bit unreasonable there

Sigma Projects

Cobalt. Would be easier if you included the better Cobalt SS that was turboed. Overall the Saturn is just less attractive even if the Cobalt looks cheap.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas