"Service Engine Soon" Light

Started by dazzleman, February 20, 2010, 02:29:47 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: r0tor on March 16, 2010, 01:43:50 PM
Is your "Service Engine Soon" Light (you need an oil change) the same or different then a Check Engine Light (your engine is h0sed)?  Maybe the numbnutzes never changed the counter last time they did you oil change?

I think they're the same.  It definitely doesn't need an oil change.  I just got one recently.  And when I check all the system in the computer, they all come out OK.  Now, the light is off again.  There's no rhyme or reason to it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

It's possible that the system wasn't reset when you got the oil change.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on March 21, 2010, 11:58:56 AM
It's possible that the system wasn't reset when you got the oil change.

No, because the system tells me when I need the next oil change, and it's not now.

I'm such an idiot.  What I should do is check the dipstick.  Maybe I need a quart of oil.  I shouldn't since I recently had the oil changed, but it's worth a check.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on March 22, 2010, 07:49:43 PM
No, because the system tells me when I need the next oil change, and it's not now.

I'm such an idiot.  What I should do is check the dipstick.  Maybe I need a quart of oil.  I shouldn't since I recently had the oil changed, but it's worth a check.

Your car has a dipstick? LOLZ.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on March 22, 2010, 08:16:48 PM
Your car has a dipstick? LOLZ.

Doesn't every car have a dipstick for the oil?  How else would you check it?

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on March 24, 2010, 07:00:33 PM

Newer BMWs don't, but yours might be old enough that it still has one.

S204STi

The oil level sensor, I guess.  BMW must really trust those sensors.

3.0L V6

Quote from: R-inge on March 24, 2010, 07:56:51 PM
The oil level sensor, I guess.  BMW must really trust those sensors.

Or really be confident that the engine won't burn oil until after the warranty's up.

280Z Turbo

I believe Porsche no longer uses dipsticks. Germans must be the only ones to stupid enough to eliminate a $0.50 part for a $20 computer system.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 24, 2010, 11:10:09 PM
I believe Porsche no longer uses dipsticks. Germans must be the only ones to stupid enough to eliminate a $0.50 part for a $20 computer system.

Zee eeficientzee ist sehr besser than zee stoopeed dipstick.

S204STi

Since most owners don't check the oil level anyway I have to wonder if it doesn't make some sense.  If the sensor were able to detect dangerously low oil levels, and has some built-in diagnostics which allow the PCM to tell if it's actually working or not, it could work just fine.  Until the costly sensor fails, that is. :evildude:

TurboDan

Quote from: R-inge on March 25, 2010, 12:30:26 PM
Since most owners don't check the oil level anyway I have to wonder if it doesn't make some sense.  If the sensor were able to detect dangerously low oil levels, and has some built-in diagnostics which allow the PCM to tell if it's actually working or not, it could work just fine.  Until the costly sensor fails, that is. :evildude:

Exactly. I don't necessarily "trust" any sensors. My friend's MB had some sensor detect he had been in an accident (when he really hadn't) and his car started stopping on the middle of the highway and going nuts and almost caused a real accident.

I wonder why they couldn't just have a sensor AND a dipstick?

r0tor

Quote from: TurboDan on March 25, 2010, 01:05:21 PM

I wonder why they couldn't just have a sensor AND a dipstick?

I have both... fear the japanese
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CALL_911

Quote from: TBR on March 24, 2010, 07:01:59 PM
Newer BMWs don't, but yours might be old enough that it still has one.

His car has an N52, it doesn't.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

I wonder if eliminating the dipstick makes the design of the engine packaging easier? Can they achieve tighter tolerances in the block or heads without it?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Byteme

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2010, 10:27:51 PM
I wonder if eliminating the dipstick makes the design of the engine packaging easier? Can they achieve tighter tolerances in the block or heads without it?

It simply involves a hole and tube that a metal rod goes through to measure the depth of the oil in the pan.  It has nothing to do with anything else.  Eliminating it doesn't save much money, probably none when compared to the cost of the electronics to replace it.  Doesn't make the engine any more reliable; does it automatically shut the engine down if low oil is detected?  Does it detect if some numb nuts at an oil change place overfills the crankcase?

I can think of no reasonable reason to eliminate it.  Sensors can fail the only failure one can experience with a dipstick is to not check the oil level in the first place.  Is BMW admitting it's custoimers are too stupid to know to check the oil occasionally? Or is this some ploy to generate more service revenue?

TurboDan

Quote from: EtypeJohn on March 30, 2010, 07:41:58 AM
It simply involves a hole and tube that a metal rod goes through to measure the depth of the oil in the pan.  It has nothing to do with anything else.  Eliminating it doesn't save much money, probably none when compared to the cost of the electronics to replace it.  Doesn't make the engine any more reliable; does it automatically shut the engine down if low oil is detected?  Does it detect if some numb nuts at an oil change place overfills the crankcase?

I can think of no reasonable reason to eliminate it.  Sensors can fail the only failure one can experience with a dipstick is to not check the oil level in the first place.  Is BMW admitting it's custoimers are too stupid to know to check the oil occasionally? Or is this some ploy to generate more service revenue?

Nail, meet a hammer on the way to your head.  ;)

dazzleman

I took the car in for servicing today to look into this problem.

They said they needed to rotate the celinoids in the engine.  I have no idea what that means, but I hope it works.  If rotating them doesn't do the trick, then they need to be replaced.  For now, all seems well.

The best part is that they didn't charge me.  They said it was because the car just came out of warranty and the problem originated from before the warranty expired.  So as of now, I'm pretty happy with the experience.

S204STi

Solenoids.

It sounds like one of the cam phaser solenoids might have stuck.

This reminds me of one of the last cars I worked on... a GMC Terrain with sand in the head and cam phaser solenoid screens from the casting process. :mask:

I doubt that's your concern, but the only solenoids in an engine are typically for the cam phasing system.

r0tor

thank god for the need to control the throttle via an overly complicated VANOS system rather then a damn throttle plate....

S204STi

Oh, that's right. VANOS.  I bet that has quite a few of them thar celenoids.

dazzleman

The Phantom

Doesn't every car have a dipstick for the oil?  How else would you check it?

Yours has one in the driver seat!   :wub:
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on April 12, 2010, 06:16:06 PM
Thanks for the info, Roy.

Yeah, no problem dude.  If you have any other questions about the jargon let me know.  I may not fix cars for a living anymore, but I know Mechanicese like it's my first language. :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 14, 2010, 07:52:49 PM
Yeah, no problem dude.  If you have any other questions about the jargon let me know.  I may not fix cars for a living anymore, but I know Mechanicese like it's my first language. :lol:

Wait, what?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on April 12, 2010, 05:39:02 PM
Oh, that's right. VANOS.  I bet that has quite a few of them thar celenoids.

I don't know if VANOS really relies on them, but Valvetronic definitely does.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Rupert

Oh, wow, nice?

What are you gonna do now?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on April 15, 2010, 08:31:36 PM
Oh, wow, nice?

What are you gonna do now?

Yeah, it's ok.  I was burned out, partly on working on cars but mainly on working where I was working.  There was some screwy shit going on.  Since nobody around here will hire a tech with as little experience as I have (which sounds funny considering I've done it for about 4.5 year) the only solution was to just leave the industry for now. 

I'll be working for some lawn care company called TruGreen, mainly doing stuff with trees.