"Service Engine Soon" Light

Started by dazzleman, February 20, 2010, 02:29:47 PM

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 15, 2010, 08:45:16 PM
Yeah, it's ok.  I was burned out, partly on working on cars but mainly on working where I was working.  There was some screwy shit going on.  Since nobody around here will hire a tech with as little experience as I have (which sounds funny considering I've done it for about 4.5 year) the only solution was to just leave the industry for now. 

I'll be working for some lawn care company called TruGreen, mainly doing stuff with trees.

Trees are good. Have you looked at seasonal Forest Service/BLM/USGS/Park Service/etc. work?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Yeah actually, I have.  This job sort of reminded me of that interest. 

You work for the Forest Service or something, right?  How did you land that gig?  What level of education, what majors, etc.

Eye of the Tiger

Fo you want to be a geologist, R-inge?
I do, but I'm going to have to wait until after I'm done with automotives.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Oh that's right, Rupert is a geologist, right?  I'm not sure honestly wtf I want to do with my life other than find a decent 8-5 m-f gig that pays well and doesn't kick my ass around the block for drill every day.  I'm going back to school in the fall at night but I'm not sure what to study so any suggestions are welcome...

oh and btw, thread hijack! :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 15, 2010, 09:05:10 PM
Yeah actually, I have.  This job sort of reminded me of that interest. 

You work for the Forest Service or something, right?  How did you land that gig?  What level of education, what majors, etc.

Yeah, the Forest Service. I applied for a seasonal job out of college, and proved myself useful. It was a little serendipitous, since I got on right when the project I work on was just taking off, and I was the only person on the crews that year who didn't have another obligation in the fall.

I'm a hydrologist (new title; I love throwing it around still :lol: ), and I have a B.S. in geology. There are many many jobs to be done in the FS (and BLM, USGS, USFWS, etc.), and just about any skill set has a place somewhere. In order to get a job like mine (hydrologist/technician, fisheries biologist/tech, forester/tech, silviculturalist/tech, etc.), you generally need a bachelor's or a master's, but, like I say, there are a lot of bluer collared jobs.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on April 15, 2010, 09:14:23 PM
Oh that's right, Rupert is a geologist, right?  I'm not sure honestly wtf I want to do with my life other than find a decent 8-5 m-f gig that pays well and doesn't kick my ass around the block for drill every day.  I'm going back to school in the fall at night but I'm not sure what to study so any suggestions are welcome...

If you want to work outdoors, I'm sure there is some kind of program for becoming a park ranger or something.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Cool, thanks guys.  I might do some talking with the local FS or BLM dept heads and see what's what.

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 15, 2010, 09:14:23 PM

If you think you might like a career in federal natural resources, take a bunch of natural science classes (bio, chem, geology, environmental science), a GIS class (because everyone wants to hire someone who knows GIS), and then get a seasonal job with one of the agencies you like. If you still like it, then you're good to go. There are a some advantages to federal jobs (flexibility, benefits, stability once you have a permanent job, reasonable pay, good culture among those you work with directly), and some disadvantages (GIANT FUCKING BUREAUCRACY, you'll never get rich, some extra political bullshit because you have to deal with the public, and did I mention GIANT FUCKING BUREAUCRACY?). Some people can't deal with the GIANT FUCKING BUREAUCRACY, and so shouldn't bother with a federal job.

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 15, 2010, 09:25:29 PM
Cool, thanks guys.  I might do some talking with the local FS or BLM dept heads and see what's what.

Even better is to talk with some people who you know who work there. :ohyeah:

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 15, 2010, 09:20:05 PM
If you want to work outdoors, I'm sure there is some kind of program for becoming a park ranger or something.

Yeah, there is also the recreation side. Their job is pretty much all dealing with (er, working with) the public, which I know I don't want to do.

Of course, then you get the sweet uniform, which I would feel ridiculous wearing in my office. :lol:

r0tor

You could always be an engineering and sit back and drink coffee while you watch your mechanic grunts to the physical work  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

mzziaz

Quote from: R-inge on April 15, 2010, 08:45:16 PM
Yeah, it's ok.  I was burned out, partly on working on cars but mainly on working where I was working.  There was some screwy shit going on.  Since nobody around here will hire a tech with as little experience as I have (which sounds funny considering I've done it for about 4.5 year) the only solution was to just leave the industry for now. 

I'll be working for some lawn care company called TruGreen, mainly doing stuff with trees.

Good luck with the career change and future studies!
Cuore Sportivo

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on April 15, 2010, 09:27:27 PM
Even better is to talk with some people who you know who work there. :ohyeah:

Yeah, I'll send you some PMs with more questions if I decide to pursue this idea. Thanks bro.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on April 16, 2010, 07:33:59 AM
You could always be an engineering and sit back and drink coffee while you watch your mechanic grunts to the physical work  :lol:

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to be an engineer, but I'd like to work around them, which is why drafting seems like a good start, but yeah that does sound kinda nice. :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 16, 2010, 06:34:33 PM
Yeah, I'll send you some PMs with more questions if I decide to pursue this idea. Thanks bro.

:ohyeah:

dazzleman

I can't believe you guys have hijacked my earth-shaking thread about a problem that's been fixed in order to help Roy with career planning.... :cry:
:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

lol, hey dude it's CarSPIN, whadaya expect?

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on April 17, 2010, 05:45:37 PM
lol, hey dude it's CarSPIN, whadaya expect?

I wouldn't want it any other way.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on April 18, 2010, 08:08:27 AM
:ohyeah:

And besides, your future career direction IS a lot more important than my idiot light.  Especially now that I had it fixed.

I hope things go really well with your new job.  I know how unhappy you were at the other job, and that's a crappy feeling.  It's liberating to leave that behind.  So best of luck.  :ohyeah:

S204STi