Ford 500 Police Car

Started by Catman, August 25, 2005, 09:16:24 PM

Catman

Walpole MA just got this AWD 500.  I don't know much about it but it looks really nice as a police car.  Hopefully, when the 3.5L goes in it they'll offer it for police use.  The cars size is perfect in my opinion and offers excellent room in the rear seat.  

TBR

Won't FWD cause some problems?

giant_mtb

QuoteWon't FWD cause some problems?
It's AWD.

BMWDave

its AWD ;)  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

It's AWD.
but it's FWD under most circumstances.

BMWDave

I think this is the car that should replace the CV, though I dont know about the AWD in the long haul in terms of dependability, etc.  The car is big, and has lots of room, and is an overall great car.  And it looks great when its painted in police colors B)

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

The problem with FWD cars being used as police cars isn't how they drive, but how durable they are under hard use. A car with AWD still has those same problems.

BMWDave

QuoteThe problem with FWD cars being used as police cars isn't how they drive, but how durable they are under hard use. A car with AWD still has those same problems.
Yup, thats the same thing I am worried about.  If this car was RWD it would be the absolute perfect car to replace the CV, imo.

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

Probably not a problem in the supervisors car. ;)

Here's more info from their site and pics:

The Walpole Police Department has become the first agency in the State to incorporate the new Ford 500 into it's patrol fleet.  The new vehicle will act as the Shift Supervisors vehicle and will be among the marked cruisers in our fleet.

This new vehicle gives an added dimension to the fleet, as the Ford 500 is All-Wheel-Drive, while the remainder of the fleet is rear-wheel.  This feature will give us added maneuverability during inclimate whether, a capability lacking since the retirement of our Explorer.   In addition, the Ford 500 has recently received the highest crash-test rating offered by the NHTSA.  With increased traction, maneuverability and safety, the Ford 500 is a welcomed addition to the fleet.

Walpole PD

Tom

I've seen Impalas and Intrepids.  If if the Aveo can be used, I'm sure a FWD or AWD 500 is fine ;)  

Raghavan

It won't be a pursuit vehicle, right? CV's will do that?

Catman

QuoteIt won't be a pursuit vehicle, right? CV's will do that?
If Ford builds a police specific model it will be.  We might see that when the 3.5L is made available next year.  Durability will be the major factor with this car if it is to catch on.

Fire It Up

Dont these have CVTs? How will that handle with cop-use?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Catman

QuoteDont these have CVTs? How will that handle with cop-use?
To early to tell.  If they do make a police package I doubt it will have the CVT.

ifcar

The AWD models all have the CVT.  

Catman

QuoteThe AWD models all have the CVT.
Yes, and I understand its future (CVT) is up in the air right now?

ifcar

Haven't heard anything of the kind. <_<

Fire It Up

If you cops like flooring it, you're gonna need another budget to buy cvt belts.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Car Zeus

I didn't see a ramming front bar.

Shesh it's not a police car without one.

:lol:  

MX793

Any word on the progress of the Dodge Charger/Magnum police cars?  Really, I think those would make just about the best CV replacement.  RWD, decent space, the 3.5 is an adequate motor for most duty work and the V8 would be perfect for a highway pursuit/interceptor.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Whistler

I'm trying to find the specific article... but I read a couple days ago that the 500's future includes:
1. Switch to all 6-spd autos
2. 3.5 with a dedicated police package
3. new styling to fit in with Fusion.

giant_mtb

QuoteI'm trying to find the specific article... but I read a couple days ago that the 500's future includes:
1. Switch to all 6-spd autos
2. 3.5 with a dedicated police package
3. new styling to fit in with Fusion.
I don't think they should style it to "fit" with the Fusion...

BMWDave

QuoteCheck this shit out!

Magnum and Charger Cruisers
Thats pretty cool B)  

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

QuoteCheck this shit out!

Magnum and Charger Cruisers
Thats pretty cool B)
Listen to that Hemi! :rockon:   Looks like those cars corner pretty well, not much body roll there. :praise: