VW and the electric Gremlins

Started by Galaxy, February 21, 2010, 09:22:36 AM

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2010, 12:51:27 PM
Um, it was a rhetorical questions.

Electrical systems don't need maintenance.

You're saying that electrical systems cannot in any way be affected by treatment or maintenance of the vehicle?

Okay.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

You`ve never had to replace a battery or a fuse?

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on February 23, 2010, 01:17:28 PM
Only one I'd take would be the G37

Only one I'd take is the GTI.  The G37 is nice, but I don't see a scenario where I buy one over its competitors, even if I have to go used to get a BMW.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on February 23, 2010, 01:46:11 PM

That's not maintenance, that's a fix/repair.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2010, 01:52:42 PM
That's not maintenance, that's a fix/repair.

Replacing the brake pads is not repair it`s maintenance, and replacing a battery is like replacing brake pads. 

Byteme

Batteries need to have the proper fluid level.
Battery posts need to be checked for, and cleaned if corrosion is present.  
System grounds can work loose and may need to be checked and tightened from time to time.
Switch contacts may need tobe cleaned with contact cleaner.
Timing might need adjusted As would point gap on older cars.
Light bgulb sockets can corrode and need cleaning.

Secret Chimp

I don't think Cougs knows any more about cars than he does about political science.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Onslaught

Quote from: Galaxy on February 23, 2010, 01:46:11 PM
Come to think of it I've never had to replace a fuse in any car I've had.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on February 23, 2010, 01:08:19 PM
You're saying that electrical systems cannot in any way be affected by treatment or maintenance of the vehicle?

Okay.
Treatment, yes.

Maintenance, debatable.

Eventually you will have to replace the batter, alternator and probably the starter in any modern car. If the car is worth anything these replacements won't happen for a couple of years. My car has not lead an easy life, but all of its electrics work perfectly. The stereo I installed, which includes several amplifiers and non-factory wiring also works perfectly. I have swapped engine computers 3 times, and one of them had a module on it that enabled modification of spark/fuel map modification that I tapped into and changed a bit... again, no issues there either.

No modern car should have electrical issues. There's just no excuse for it.

r0tor

Quote from: TBR on February 23, 2010, 01:11:04 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/23/consumer-reports-adds-six-cars-to-top-picks-list-touts-d/

Oh god, i give GM 4 days until they have a commercial to brag that the silverado actually won some award.... and thats only 4 days because the next 2 are weekend  :rolleyes:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Jon?

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2010, 10:40:36 AM
Oh god, i give GM 4 days until they have a commercial to brag that the silverado actually won some award.... and thats only 4 days because the next 2 are weekend  :rolleyes:

Yeah that would be terrible.  GM finally gets on a CR Top Picks list - best they keep it quiet.  :rolleyes:

BTW, are we on the 3rd page yet?  It's typically around here where a thread about a Phaeton blowing up becomes about a Silverado.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

r0tor

Quote from: Jon™ on February 26, 2010, 12:22:40 PM
Yeah that would be terrible.  GM finally gets on a CR Top Picks list - best they keep it quiet.  :rolleyes:

yea it would be pathetic as their sompeitors have picks out the ass they could brag about...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Jon?

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2010, 12:28:15 PM
yea it would be pathetic as their sompeitors have picks out the ass they could brag about...

Sorry, that's crazy.  Imports have been beating domestics over the head with CR for decades.  Now they finally get on the scoreboard and they should ignore it?  So because Honda has other models on that list Nissan should keep quiet about the Altima knocking off the Accord?  Ford won't be mentioning their Fusion is more reliable than an Accord or Camry?  Or is it only the marque with the most picks that gets to mention it?

r0tor

yup i can see the commericial... "Hey look at us, we finally got a pick!  Wooo at least one of our models doesn't suck"

:rolleyes:

Jon?

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2010, 12:45:17 PM
yup i can see the commericial... "Hey look at us, we finally got a pick!  Wooo at least one of our models doesn't suck"
:rolleyes:

That's adorable, you didn't answer any of my questions but repeated your original point.

Actually they have two picks: trucks and family SUVs

Nissan had two (altima and G37), Hyundai one, VW one, Subaru one, Toyota had two (prius and lexus), Mazda had one.