More on Toyota. How to save your company $100, the heck with the customer

Started by Byteme, February 22, 2010, 08:00:08 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 22, 2010, 11:17:37 AM
I've long been of the opinion that the typical Toyota buyer was after what they believed to be safe, reliable, thrifty transportation.  I think that's pretty much Consumer Reports criteria for a good car as well, hence the continuous high ratings.  I suspect the average buyer was about as enthused about buying a new car as they would be buying a new toaster.  Not buying soul, not buying fun, just wanting a transportation appliance.  This also explains why many on forums such as these don't particularly care for them.

Toyota's legacy for its small pickup and 4Runner are a perfect example of how rightfully so the company won the hearts and minds of millions of Americans, even if relatively few were buying them.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 06:54:26 PM
Toyota's legacy for its small pickup and 4Runner are a perfect example of how rightfully so the company won the hearts and minds of millions of Americans, even if relatively few were buying them.

You mean the legacy of vehicles turning to a pile of rusty powder after 10 years?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on February 22, 2010, 06:56:02 PM
You mean the legacy of vehicles turning to a pile of rusty powder after 10 years?

And then the legacy of replacing those frames or even buying those trucks back at above market value only cements Toyota's legacy further. (But then again as we all now know Dana Corp., the frame supplier, botched the coating process.)

Try what you guys will, Toyota is still overall making the best product on the road today.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 07:03:10 PM
And then the legacy of replacing those frames or even buying those trucks back at above market value only cements Toyota's legacy further. (But then again as we all now know Dana Corp., the frame supplier, botched the coating process.)

Try what you guys will, Toyota is still overall making the best product on the road today.

And the best product that goes flying off the road uncontrollably with a stuck throttle and bad brakes today.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Then why do you drive a Honda?  :lol: :tounge:

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2010, 07:05:05 PM
And the best product that goes flying off the road uncontrollably with a stuck throttle and bad brakes today.

I think it's pretty much proven now the "unintended acceleration" is a redux of Audi 5000 "problem" of the '80s.

The brake problem adds centimeters to braking distance.

MX793

I'm not talking about the recent frame rust issue.  Toyota trucks have long had a legacy of rusting away in short order in northern climates.  Even if the frames hold up, the bodies usually completely rusted away far sooner than most other brands.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on February 22, 2010, 07:07:27 PM

Then why do you drive a Honda?  :lol: :tounge:

I had a Tacoma for ~150k miles before the current Accord.

It came down between the Accord and the Camry SE V6 back in '05. Then the Camry 230 hp 3.3L V6 came only in the (loaded) Camry SE. I don't like leather and sunroof and didn't want to pay for it, and the base Camry 190 hp 3.0L V6 at the time just didn't cut it.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on February 22, 2010, 07:13:29 PM
I'm not talking about the recent frame rust issue.  Toyota trucks have long had a legacy of rusting away in short order in northern climates.  Even if the frames hold up, the bodies usually completely rusted away far sooner than most other brands.

Can't really speak about; not an issue where I live. Either way I think it's hard to deny the legendary legacy of Toyota's small pickups. One many not agree with it, but it's there.

SVT666

There you have it.  Cougs is an unthusiast.  His final two cars to chose from were the Accord and the Camry.  :facepalm:

Secret Chimp

Quote from: CJ on February 22, 2010, 06:28:08 PM
Our 10 year old Camry beats our 3 year old Accord hands down in almost every way except interior volume and acceleration.

It handles better? It has better steering feel?

Oh right, you like Volvos.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 07:09:38 PM
I think it's pretty much proven now the "unintended acceleration" is a redux of Audi 5000 "problem" of the '80s.
I've been wrapped up in the Olympics for 10 days...when did this happen?

QuoteThe brake problem adds centimeters to braking distance.
You know this how?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 07:09:38 PM

The brake problem adds centimeters to braking distance.

You are so full of shit. The problem with Toyotas is not exclusive to a 60-Minutes stunt, staged to "prove" one unlikely case.

Raza

After recalling basically every vehicle they make for massive safety issues, you still think that?  I fear for everyone driving worse cars than Toyotas.  How are they still alive!?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

CJ

It shows what happens with the gas pedal, I'd assume.  There's a short that occurs and this happens.

Quote from: CJ on February 22, 2010, 09:11:38 PM
It shows what happens with the gas pedal, I'd assume.  There's a short that occurs and this happens.

You could probably rewire any drive-by-wire system to produce acceleration.  That's kind of the definition of a drive-by-wire system, that the throttle is not directly linked and relies on electronics.  You could say if special conditions existed that perfectly recreated your rewire, it could happen,  but the same would be true for pretty much any car using drive-by-wire.

Anyway ABC seems to be barking up the wrong tree as Toyota's problem seems to be mechanical in nature.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on February 22, 2010, 08:35:37 PM
There you have it.  Cougs is an unthusiast.  His final two cars to chose from were the Accord and the Camry.  :facepalm:

LOL - coming from a Focus/Freestyle/Sunbird x 2 engines buyer/recent owner...

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2010, 09:01:22 PM
After recalling basically every vehicle they make for massive safety issues, you still think that?  I fear for everyone driving worse cars than Toyotas.  How are they still alive!?

Um, safety issues being a floor mat and some BS shim...

Like I keep saying, nothing points to this more than likely being a witch hunt than the absolutely ridiculous floor mat "cause."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 09:36:20 PM

I know I'd much rather have a Camry than an SVT Fucus.  :ohyeah:

Jon?

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 09:38:38 PM
Um, safety issues being a floor mat and some BS shim...

Like I keep saying, nothing points to this more than likely being a witch hunt than the absolutely ridiculous floor mat "cause."

It would appear the floormat issue was their attempt to come up with a low-cost fix for something they were still attempting to diagnose.  If some of the correspondence amongst their execs is any indication, it was their standard MO for dealing with issues.  Not a good thing.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2010, 08:41:04 PM
You are so full of shit. The problem with Toyotas is not exclusive to a 60-Minutes stunt, staged to "prove" one unlikely case.

Yet no one anywhere has been shown to proven a thing.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 09:36:20 PM

My Focus will eat your Accord for breakfast on any two lane backroad.  My wife drove the Freestyle because we have 2 kids, wtf is your excuse?

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on February 22, 2010, 10:04:51 PM
My Focus will eat your Accord for breakfast on any two lane backroad.  My wife drove the Freestyle because we have 2 kids, wtf is your excuse?

Save for something pretty tight and twisty I would own you just about everywhere else; on just about any track, on the open road, and on any acceleration measure whatsoever (LOL - like you were stuck in reverse) and be more reliable and comfortable doing it. And LOLets not forget recent Sunbird ownership.

My overall "excuse" is that you threw down once again and once again ran headlong into some ownage. I'd never criticize someone else's ride unless s/he explicitly needed it done, as you did.

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2010, 10:08:05 PM
Your argument is invalid.

Not really - no one has proven a thing. The invalid tangent about electrical interference is another a perfect example.

At best all we have, from anyone, is that "if this goes wrong this can cause the problem."

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2010, 10:21:12 PM
Save for something pretty tight and twisty I would own you just about everywhere else; on just about any track, on the open road, and on any acceleration measure whatsoever (LOL - like you were stuck in reverse) and be more reliable and comfortable doing it. And LOLets not forget recent Sunbird ownership.

My overall "excuse" is that you threw down once again and once again ran headlong into some ownage. I'd never criticize someone else's ride unless s/he explicitly needed it done, as you did.

Reading comprehension fail: he was asking what your excuse was for buying a boring ass family sedan when you have no family.

CALL_911

You honestly think an Accord V6 could own an SVT Focus on a track?

What makes you think it's more reliable?

No offense, but his car looks a million times better than yours does. Yours is one of the ugliest Accords ever made, second to this current generation. His car is also more unique and less, well, dull.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Those are some fighting words from both Cougs and Hemi.  Here's what we need, the first official Carspin street race!

Seriously that would be awesome.

SVT666

I've been owned?  News to me.