Drinking Age in the USA

Started by Morris Minor, February 22, 2010, 10:29:09 AM

Should we repeal National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984?

Yes: the new National Minumum Drinking Age should be 18
10 (45.5%)
Yes: leave it to individual states to decide
8 (36.4%)
No
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Submariner

LOL - yeah, it's been real difficult for college students to get their hands on and consume alcohol. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT_Power

It stopped me from going out when I was in NJ visiting family a while ago  :rage:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Tave

I think the drinking age should probably be 19.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

18 is supposed to be the age when a person becomes an independent adult. Everything should be legal by that point, (if not before, with restrictions or parental guidance)
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

I favor an 18-year old drinking age.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

Quote from: dazzleman on February 22, 2010, 12:40:03 PM
I favor an 18-year old drinking age.

+1

I think a big part of underage drinking for most people is the forbidden fruit aspect of it.  Also, if you can joined the armed services and serve your country at age 18, then you should be able to buy a beer.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: The Pirate on February 22, 2010, 12:51:53 PM
+1

I think a big part of underage drinking for most people is the forbidden fruit aspect of it.  Also, if you can joined the armed services and serve your country at age 18, then you should be able to buy a beer.

Bingo. My country expected me to be ready to serve in the military and be mature enough to understand the concepts of war and inflicting casualties provided something really bad happened (WW3), yet didn't believe I was capable of making decisions regarding my intake of alcohol. It's unbelievable.

What they need to do is stagger bringing the age down. Write a bill that changes the law by 1 year of age every 2 years or so (so that the gap years don't go insane) and bring it down to 18 or 19. I'd be okay with 19 if they changed the military age to 19 as well. The idea behind 19 being good is there are many fewer high schoolers who are 19.

If the age were 18, I wouldn't have thrown a few hundred dollars towards fake IDs.

I also voted for national minimum drinking age to 18 because I know various states would be stuck up (like Connecticut) and keep it 21. Louisiana on the other hand...

TurboDan

I don't see a problem with an 18-year old drinking age. The problem is that it would never have political support with all of the parents groups and MADD people screaming and yelling. I think it would really benefit colleges since it would cut down on binge drinking and there would be fewer medical emergencies.

I doubt it would really affect drunk driving much at all. When the newspaper prints DUI arrests, it actually seems that there is a high number of "underage" DUIs in the 18-20 age bracket, so it's clear the current alcohol laws are neither preventing nor deterring driving while intoxicated. Promoting safe drinking (have fun, but don't kill yourself, and don't drive) seems like it would be a better path than just banning drinking and creating a "black market" and all kinds of hoops that lead to binge drinking.

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Tave

Quote from: TurboDan on February 22, 2010, 01:28:59 PM
I don't see a problem with an 18-year old drinking age. The problem is that it would never have political support with all of the parents groups and MADD people screaming and yelling. I think it would really benefit colleges since it would cut down on binge drinking and there would be fewer medical emergencies.

I doubt it would really affect drunk driving much at all. When the newspaper prints DUI arrests, it actually seems that there is a high number of "underage" DUIs in the 18-20 age bracket, so it's clear the current alcohol laws are neither preventing nor deterring driving while intoxicated. Promoting safe drinking (have fun, but don't kill yourself, and don't drive) seems like it would be a better path than just banning drinking and creating a "black market" and all kinds of hoops that lead to binge drinking.

Additionally, a lot of jurisdictions have a zero-tolerance policy where anyone under the age of 21 will be cited for DUI regardless of impairment. Not that it excuses the behavior, but I had a friend who got a DUI after drinking a single beer when he was 19 or 20. He wasn't exactly causing the type of harm that DUI laws seek to prevent.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

ifcar

Wasn't the law changed so high school seniors wouldn't be able to easily supply their younger friends with alcohol? Sure, college students all ignore the law and everyone nearby looks the other way (apparently the fake ID of choice here at UMD is a library card with a photocopy of a license taped to the top), but it's a higher age bracket that's more affected.

Now, if it were changed to 18 and then strictly enforced, that would work fine. But otherwise it would just move the current problem down a few years.

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on February 22, 2010, 12:51:53 PM
+1

I think a big part of underage drinking for most people is the forbidden fruit aspect of it.  Also, if you can joined the armed services and serve your country at age 18, then you should be able to buy a beer.

Binge drinking would definitely drop off I think.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on February 22, 2010, 02:46:36 PM
Wasn't the law changed so high school seniors wouldn't be able to easily supply their younger friends with alcohol? Sure, college students all ignore the law and everyone nearby looks the other way (apparently the fake ID of choice here at UMD is a library card with a photocopy of a license taped to the top), but it's a higher age bracket that's more affected.

Now, if it were changed to 18 and then strictly enforced, that would work fine. But otherwise it would just move the current problem down a few years.

I think that's why 19 is a good idea.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TBR on February 22, 2010, 02:55:11 PM

Maybe we shouldn't have dumb kids that have to stay in high school after they're 18.

dazzleman

I don't think it makes sense that a person can enter into legal agreements, vote, serve in the armed forced and get married at 18, but can't have a legal drink.

This is part of a trend of postponing full adulthood.  We've become such a risk-averse society that we keep pushing back the milestones of true adulthood, thinking people will be able to handle them when they're older.  But there's a price to be paid for extending adolescence.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on February 22, 2010, 02:55:11 PM

I can't imagine that would fly politically. It's a prime number, for crying out loud!

Also, college freshmen seem to be among the biggest idiot partiers, according to my sources in the freshman community. 19 wouldn't help them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on February 22, 2010, 03:12:57 PM
I can't imagine that would fly politically. It's a prime number, for crying out loud!

Also, college freshmen seem to be among the biggest idiot partiers -- 19 wouldn't help them.

The ones who want to drink, do so, anyway. Making it legal would only take away the "thrill" of illegality, and probably lead to more responsible drinking.

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2010, 03:14:41 PM
The ones who want to drink, do so, anyway. Making it legal would only take away the "thrill" of illegality, and probably lead to more responsible drinking.

I haven't heard anyone say they like that it's illegal. It's an inconvenience to run the risk of getting in trouble for something that you intend to do anyway. It's the same way that people don't get a thrill out of driving 35 in a 25 -- at least, I don't.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on February 22, 2010, 03:17:50 PM
I haven't heard anyone say they like that it's illegal. It's an inconvenience to run the risk of getting in trouble for something that you intend to do anyway. It's the same way that people don't get a thrill out of driving 35 in a 25 -- at least, I don't.

You are the most boring person alive; nobody expects you to understand.

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2010, 03:21:21 PM
You are the most boring person alive; nobody expects you to understand.

I'm in daily contact with underage drinkers. The illegality doesn't seem to be the appeal to them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on February 22, 2010, 03:22:11 PM
I'm in daily contact with underage drinkers. The illegality doesn't seem to be the appeal to them.

Right. So, you agree they drink, regardless of the law.

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2010, 03:24:27 PM
Right. So, you agree they drink, regardless of the law.

Absolutely. But not because it's illegal. Again, like 35 in a 25, the illegality is not the reason behind it.

3.0L V6

Why does the federal government regulate this anyway? Shouldn't this be a state issue - or is it like the 55 mph speed limit and federal minimum wage laws?

In Canada, the provinces are left to regulate their own drinking age - I don't understand the difference down there.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on February 22, 2010, 03:27:45 PM
Absolutely. But not because it's illegal. Again, like 35 in a 25, the illegality is not the reason behind it.

You are completely clueless.

dazzleman

Technically it's a state issue.  At one time, different states had different drinking ages.  But the federal government threatened to withhold highway funds from any state that didn't raise the drinking age to 21, in the name of highway safety.

3.0L V6

Quote from: dazzleman on February 22, 2010, 03:33:52 PM
Technically it's a state issue.  At one time, different states had different drinking ages.  But the federal government threatened to withhold highway funds from any state that didn't raise the drinking age to 21, in the name of highway safety.

Well, there's the federal government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong - again. Let the states decide.

I'm in favor of pushing responsibility of lawmaking to lowest level of government when reasonably practical to do so. This stuff annoys me - the federal government has plenty of large issues to deal with - why do they feel the need to 'find' stuff to regulate/get involved in?

Smaller/more local governments more accurately reflect the will of the population in an area - making national laws requires such consensus building and compromise.

Raza

There should be no minimum drinking age, period.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MaxPower

Quote from: Tave on February 22, 2010, 02:43:04 PM
Additionally, a lot of jurisdictions have a zero-tolerance policy where anyone under the age of 21 will be cited for DUI regardless of impairment. Not that it excuses the behavior, but I had a friend who got a DUI after drinking a single beer when he was 19 or 20. He wasn't exactly causing the type of harm that DUI laws seek to prevent.

That may be in some places, but I know here it's a violation of license restriction, not DUI.  DUI is reserved for .08+.  The penalties are much more lenient for VLR and its an entirely different crime.

Tave

Quote from: MaxPower on February 22, 2010, 05:31:37 PM
That may be in some places, but I know here it's a violation of license restriction, not DUI.  DUI is reserved for .08+.  The penalties are much more lenient for VLR and its an entirely different crime.

Here's the code for Wyoming DUI arrest:

"A person younger than twenty-one (21) years of age shall not operate or be in actual physical control of a vehicle in this state with an alcohol concentration of two one-hundredths of one percent (0.02%) or more."