Drinking Age in the USA

Started by Morris Minor, February 22, 2010, 10:29:09 AM

Should we repeal National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984?

Yes: the new National Minumum Drinking Age should be 18
10 (45.5%)
Yes: leave it to individual states to decide
8 (36.4%)
No
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Rupert

Quote from: bing_oh on February 26, 2010, 04:10:54 PM
The problem with legalization is that you're effectively trading one set of problems for another. While legalization may effect the criminal enterprises that currently sell drugs, the social effects of addiction will become more prominent. And, quite frankly, the idea of the "functioning drug addict," especially those on harder drugs like heroin, crack, meth, etc, is for the most part a fantasy. Eventually, the drug takes total control and priority in their lives, and they will do anything to get more. When you can't support a job because of your addiction but still need the drug, then the chances of turning to other criminal activities to get it rises significantly.

One thing that would help is that legal means cheaper, so it would be easier for a poor person (that is, a jobless and hopeless drug addict) to get drugs without stealing as much if at all. They still have to eat, but that's not that expensive when your priorities are getting high and not working.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on February 26, 2010, 03:18:22 PM
Um...no. You'll never convince me that the "personal rights" associated with these substances overrides the common good dictating making them illegal.

Too bad.   :huh:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 26, 2010, 04:01:14 PM
Apart from alcohol, drugs have spawned a world-wide criminal enterprise that has provided the means for some of the most brutal thugs to gain far more power and control than they otherwise could have achieved.  Of course, the main market of these illicit drugs is the US population.  Making them legal would at least gain a few advantages.  The growth/manufacture would assume the normal course of production and international trade as well as a source of tax revenue.  It would also remove the market from the control of the thugs.  As for those who use drugs, they can exercise their personal rights.  However, although their personal rights would not be impeded, their social rights may well be if they find that they're prone to addiction; Addictive personality disorder.

However, in spite of the seeming advantages, I would not recommend allowing addictive drugs to be legalized.

We already have plenty of addictive drugs that are legal. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on February 27, 2010, 09:55:36 AM
We already have plenty of addictive drugs that are legal. 
Of course we do.  I've never had much interest in drugs but I know that most old people can get pretty much what they want and stay higher-than-a-kite until they drop dead with a smile of their faces.  This is, more or less, what happened to my mother.  She had a number of ailments, some real, some percieved, but if she complained enough and made a nuisance of herself, she could get any number of prescriptions to make her 'feel better'.

There're not really the problem though.  It's the young stupid people who think the want to 'feel better' and, unless they steal their grandmother's drugs and replace them with aspirens, they can get them on the street most any place.  Young and stupid may seem a bit harsh but we already know that there's a physiological reason for youth to often make poor decisions.  At your age now, you can likely look back and wonder at some of the stupid things you did 10 years ago.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."