Hyundai cancels planned Sedona clone

Started by ifcar, August 26, 2005, 01:47:35 PM

ifcar

Hyundai drops minivan plans
Automaker will concentrate on SUV, sport wagon

Hyundai Motor America said on Friday that it has dropped plans to sell a traditional minivan next year.

Instead, the company says it will add a seven-passenger SUV. Later, it will offer a six-passenger sport wagon.

"We felt the best strategy was to leave the traditional minivan for others," says CEO Robert Cosmai. Hyundai wants to "stay appropriately differentiated from other brands."

The unibody SUV, about the same size as a Honda Pilot, will go into production in late 2006. The minivan, dubbed the Entourage, was scheduled for spring 2006. The Entourage was to have shared a platform with the Kia Sedona.

American consumers typically don't embrace rebadged vehicles, says John Krafcik, vice president of product development and strategic planning. Hyundai is trying to carve out a separate identify from affiliate Kia.

Moreover, the minivan segment is stagnant, he says.

The SUV will not be based on the Sedona platform, Krafcik says. The vehicle will be powered by a 3.8-liter V-6 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. It will offer electronic stability control and side curtain airbags.

The sport wagon, due in 2008, will offer a flexible interior for passengers and cargo, the company said in a press release Friday. The vehicle will be similar to the Portico concept shown at the Chicago Auto Show in February.  

Fire It Up

7 passenger SUV? :sigh: I guess companies stopped paying attention to gas prices.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

Another SUV?  No thanks.  :angry:  

TBR

At least they wised up and realized that they didn't need two minivans.

ifcar

With full-size SUVs proving too inefficient for many consumers, the demand is higher than ever for midsize fuel efficient models with a third row.  

giant_mtb

American consumers really need to wise up...a lot...

I can't even remember the last time I saw more than 4 people in an SUV...most of the time it's just one or two.

ifcar

Aren't you part of an SUV family? <_<

giant_mtb

QuoteAren't you part of an SUV family? <_<
Yes sir, and I don't like it and neither do my parents.

TBR

QuoteAmerican consumers really need to wise up...a lot...

I can't even remember the last time I saw more than 4 people in an SUV...most of the time it's just one or two.
I would like to note that it really doesn't matter how many people you usually see in a vehicle, that doesn't mean that the owners don't use its people and luggage carrying abilities. Sedans just aren't large enough for most families, and both minivans and wagons still have a negative image.

Raza

I would like to note that it really doesn't matter how many people you usually see in a vehicle, that doesn't mean that the owners don't use its people and luggage carrying abilities. Sedans just aren't large enough for most families, and both minivans and wagons still have a negative image.
I still don't see how sedans aren't big enough for most families.  We had an SUV once upon a time, and it proved more of a hassle, and couldn't fit much more equipment than our old 300SD Turbodiesel could.  Hell, even my hockey stuff fit in any of our sedans.  I see that some families need SUVs or other large means of transport, but I've seen two many 2 or 3 SUV households to believe that all these people are constantly driving around with cargo piled to the roof.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Just because a cargo area isn't constantly filled doesn't mean that the space is used often enough to make a roomier vehicle worthwhile. (Though a wagon or minivan makes better use of available space than an SUV).

Raza

As much as I take shots at SUVs, that's a malediction of all cars--I drive a comfortable 5 seater sedan and rarely drive with one passenger, let alone 3 or 4.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I still don't see how sedans aren't big enough for most families.  We had an SUV once upon a time, and it proved more of a hassle, and couldn't fit much more equipment than our old 300SD Turbodiesel could.  Hell, even my hockey stuff fit in any of our sedans.  I see that some families need SUVs or other large means of transport, but I've seen two many 2 or 3 SUV households to believe that all these people are constantly driving around with cargo piled to the roof.
Have you ever tried taking a long car trip (2 weeks or so) with your family? Me thinks not, otherwise you would understand where I am coming from.

giant_mtb

As much as I take shots at SUVs, that's a malediction of all cars--I drive a comfortable 5 seater sedan and rarely drive with one passenger, let alone 3 or 4.
That's not my point.  My point is that they don't need such a large car that sucks up so much gas for only one person in it most of the time...that's why Americans need to wise up.  :)  

TBR

That's not my point.  My point is that they don't need such a large car that sucks up so much gas for only one person in it most of the time...that's why Americans need to wise up.  :)
Once again the keywords are: most of the time. Surely you don't expect people to use 100% of their car's abilities 100% of the time? The cargo bay of our Outback has only been packed to above sedan capacity once, but that doesn't mean we should have gotten the sedan (which gets better mpg) because we do need that capability sometimes. Nor do we always use the F-250 to tow heavy trailers, but sometimes we do use that capability. Same with the Durango, it doesn't spend 100% of its time in mud, but that doesn't mean we don't need 4wd.

giant_mtb

Once again the keywords are: most of the time. Surely you don't expect people to use 100% of their car's abilities 100% of the time? The cargo bay of our Outback has only been packed to above sedan capacity once, but that doesn't mean we should have gotten the sedan (which gets better mpg) because we do need that capability sometimes. Nor do we always use the F-250 to tow heavy trailers, but sometimes we do use that capability. Same with the Durango, it doesn't spend 100% of its time in mud, but that doesn't mean we don't need 4wd.
Ok, so your average person needs the extra ability of a big SUV about 2-5 percent of the time.  It still isn't very plausible/economical/senseful.

TBR

It makes more economic sense to buy two vehicles, pay insurance on two vehicles, and keep two vehicles maintained? I don't think so.

giant_mtb

They could at least buy a crossover or something like a Forester or Outback.

TBR

Since when does an Outback have a 3rd row?

TBR

Also, crossovers have very little 3rd row room.

ifcar

A Freestyle has more third-row space than some full-sized SUVs and any midsize SUV.  

thewizard16

QuoteA Freestyle has more third-row space than some full-sized SUVs and any midsize SUV.
Unfortunately, depending on terrain and occasional towing needs, the Freestyle is not a good all-around full size SUV replacement.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

Not all that many SUV buyers actually need any off-road ability or tow more than 2,000 lbs, if at all.  

Minpin

We actually need our SUV cargo aread about 30% of the time :)
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?