"Sludged" by VW - Small Claims?

Started by TurboDan, March 05, 2010, 02:46:11 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: TurboDan on March 15, 2010, 03:03:03 PM
UPDATE:

So you're saying an auto manufacturer should get out of repairing engine issues that could lead to accidents, fatalities and catastrophic financial losses because a person didn't save a receipt from 5 years ago at Joe's Lube Shop? I was also informed by VW that even with the receipts, the exact brand and blend of oil must be mentioned on all of those receipts and it must meet VW's specific "guidelines" for oil standards. By the way, there are some ENTIRE STATES where VW's blends of oil are actually illegal due to environmental laws, and there are really only two oils available in the entire nation that meet the exact specs.

This isn't about oil changes. It's about a company that doesn't want to admit it made a terrible mistake in placing the 1.8T in a longitudinal position and reducing its oil pan capacity to 3.9 quarts, far below most other similarly-sized engines, especially when outfitted with turbochargers. Many owners have been "sludged" by this company and this owner isn't taking it up the arse on this one.

Back to whether I have an argument or not - I did two weeks of legal research and based on legal precedents all over the country (including in my home state) I believe I am well-equipped to argue that I do, and I am in the right.

Keeping receipts is a perfectly reasonable thing for an manufacturer to ask for when dealing with warranties, especially when it pertains to something so essential to the part under warranty (engine oil). That's why I said you didn't have much of an argument there. However, the part about requiring specific oil that is illegal in some places is definitely an arguing point. As is the specific information on the receipt. You cannot control those things, so you cannot be blamed for failing to follow those guidelines.

If you have done the research and feel confident, go for it. I'm just saying you should check your arguments and make sure all your points are valid. VW isn't stupid and have good lawyers, I guarantee it.

TurboDan

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 15, 2010, 06:19:26 PM
VW isn't stupid and have good lawyers, I guarantee it.

In all honesty, I highly doubt they'll waste their time sending a lawyer to litigate a $997 small claims suit, especially considering it isn't even a court of record. The most likely outcome is a settlement of some sort.