Does the Scion xB have one reverse light?

Started by TurboDan, March 05, 2010, 06:59:08 PM

ifcar

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 07, 2010, 07:32:34 AM
If he were to put a switch in so he could also "flash" tailgaters that would be DOUBLE WIN.

That was his next idea...to piss off tailgaters.  Never fell through, though, 'cause he sold the car a couple months later. 

AltinD

My 2002 Passat had 2 (white) reverse lights and 2 (red) rear fog lights, as it should be. My 2008 one has only one of each

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

TurboDan

The only car I ever had with rear fog lights was my Saab. I did make good use of it in heavy rain storms, and I liked that people farther back could see me. I think it should be considered on more vehicles.

And having been behind some Saabs whose owners fail to turn them off, they're a bitch to drive behind in good weather. It was a nice anti-tailgate measure - sometimes they'd think I was braking when I turned the rear fog light on and they'd slam in their brakes.  :lol: :lol:

MaxPower

Quote from: TurboDan on March 09, 2010, 01:20:10 PM
And having been behind some Saabs whose owners fail to turn them off, they're a bitch to drive behind in good weather. It was a nice anti-tailgate measure - sometimes they'd think I was braking when I turned the rear fog light on and they'd slam in their brakes.  :lol: :lol:
Americans are too stupid for rear fog lights.  Just look at how much front fog lights are abused and imagine what it'd be like if we all got bright red lights in the back.  :rolleyes: :lockedup:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MaxPower on March 09, 2010, 05:30:19 PM
Americans are too stupid for rear fog lights.  Just look at how much front fog lights are abused and imagine what it'd be like if we all got bright red lights in the back.  :rolleyes: :lockedup:

hehe Yes.
Will

Tave

I think the single reverse light is a really stupid idea. I enjoy being able to see both my right and left side when I reverse my car.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Reverse lights are pretty dim on a lot of cars. I can't see (nor do I look) anything when reversing.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

NomisR

Quote from: MaxPower on March 09, 2010, 05:30:19 PM

+100, I see so many people driving around with their fog lights on their European cars and of course their rear fog lights are also on which makes it look like they have one bad tail light.  It looks stupid. 

Raza

I used my rear foglight in fog, but yes, I "abused" my front fogs when I had them.  Sorry for wanting to see what is ahead of me when, you know, driving forward. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MaxPower

Quote from: Raza  on March 14, 2010, 11:22:38 AM
I used my rear foglight in fog, but yes, I "abused" my front fogs when I had them.  Sorry for wanting to see what is ahead of me when, you know, driving forward. 
That's what your headlights are for--seeing in front of you in normal conditions.  yeah, sure fog lights might be (marginally) good for you, but have you ever noticed the extra amount of glare coming from vehicles with fog lights on?  it's annoying, especially on when the road is wet.  There's a reason why fogs are called fog lights and not standard-always-on-extra-headlights.

In my experience fog's addition of light in normal conditions is negligible anyway.

MX793

Considering that my regular headlights suck (and I have decent bulbs in them), I run my fogs all the time.  They make a noticeable difference.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

The Pirate

Quote from: MX793 on March 14, 2010, 05:17:09 PM
Considering that my regular headlights suck (and I have decent bulbs in them), I run my fogs all the time.  They make a noticeable difference.

What bulbs do you run?  I've been looking at at a few Hellas and PIAAs, and also some marginally "overwattage" bulbs from a link R-inge posted sometime back.  Did the Silverstar thing with my Honda, not really interested in those.  But I've also had a 'not broke, don't fix it' mindset lately, and the bulbs are still good (haven't replaced any lights since I've had it).  But every now and then I think I should replace them anyway, as they don't seem to be as bright as when I got the car (whether that's objectively true or not, I have no idea).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: The Pirate on March 14, 2010, 05:29:47 PM
What bulbs do you run?  I've been looking at at a few Hellas and PIAAs, and also some marginally "overwattage" bulbs from a link R-inge posted sometime back.  Did the Silverstar thing with my Honda, not really interested in those.  But I've also had a 'not broke, don't fix it' mindset lately, and the bulbs are still good (haven't replaced any lights since I've had it).  But every now and then I think I should replace them anyway, as they don't seem to be as bright as when I got the car (whether that's objectively true or not, I have no idea).

Have the lens covers glazed over?
Will

MX793

Quote from: The Pirate on March 14, 2010, 05:29:47 PM
What bulbs do you run?  I've been looking at at a few Hellas and PIAAs, and also some marginally "overwattage" bulbs from a link R-inge posted sometime back.  Did the Silverstar thing with my Honda, not really interested in those.  But I've also had a 'not broke, don't fix it' mindset lately, and the bulbs are still good (haven't replaced any lights since I've had it).  But every now and then I think I should replace them anyway, as they don't seem to be as bright as when I got the car (whether that's objectively true or not, I have no idea).

Sylvania Xtravision bulbs.  They're supposed to be significantly brighter than regular halogens (though not as bright as Silverstars, but they last quite a bit longer) but the improvement is marginal from what I can tell.  It seems like they pretty much get drowned out by streetlamps, same as the OEM bulbs.  The cars behind me do a better job of illuminating what's in front of me than my own headlights.  I swear one night a vehicle came up behind me and I could see my car's own shadow in front of me.  I cleaned up the lenses late last fall with some polishing compound.  They're not crystal clear, but they're not terribly hazed over either.

They're also aimed too low, IMO.  The light cutoff on the ground can't be more than 170 ft in front of the car.  The only things you can see beyond that cutoff are objects that are reflective.  Completely inadequate for highway speeds.  I can't find the adjustment and there's no mention of how to adjust them in the manual.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Wow I never knew reverse lights were meant to light anything up, I just thought it was to indicate you are backing up.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 565 on March 14, 2010, 08:48:08 PM
Wow I never knew reverse lights were meant to light anything up, I just thought it was to indicate you are backing up.

Unplug them and try to backup late at night.
Or (at night) look back then put it into reverse and see if it lights anything up. (works better in a manual without the brake lights.)
Will

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on March 11, 2010, 11:07:44 AM
+100, I see so many people driving around with their fog lights on their European cars and of course their rear fog lights are also on which makes it look like they have one bad tail light.  It looks stupid.  

and as a friend of mine whoe was driving his drunk friends audi, it can get you pulled over for having a "blown out tail light" and eligable for a DUI arrest!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Quote from: 565 on March 14, 2010, 08:48:08 PM

Whad'ya you know? You can't even see out that monstrous rear end!

Raza

Quote from: MaxPower on March 14, 2010, 05:12:21 PM
That's what your headlights are for--seeing in front of you in normal conditions.  yeah, sure fog lights might be (marginally) good for you, but have you ever noticed the extra amount of glare coming from vehicles with fog lights on?  it's annoying, especially on when the road is wet.  There's a reason why fogs are called fog lights and not standard-always-on-extra-headlights.

In my experience fog's addition of light in normal conditions is negligible anyway.

In my experience it illuminates the side of the road better, which is very important when driving in areas of high deer population at night.  My fogs have saved me more than once, and when I have them installed on my Jetta, I will be using them once again.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

The point is, oncoming drivers would also like to see the deer.

Obviously you see better with more light. I can see much better with my brights. That doesn't make it OK for me to drive around with them always on.

J86

Quote from: Tave on March 15, 2010, 09:33:17 AM
They point is, oncoming drivers would also like to see the deer.

If I can't see it, it doesn't exist. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 15, 2010, 09:33:17 AM
The point is, oncoming drivers would also like to see the deer.

Obviously you see better with more light. I can see much better with my brights. That doesn't make it OK for me to drive around with them always on.

Right, I'm sure I'm blinding them all with the foglights that are 6 inches off the ground.  I get blinded by SUVs' low beams...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

What's this I see on the facelifted 2011 xB? Could it be...proper reverse lights and symmetry?

2o6

CJ

Now it looks lame?  It always HAS looked lame.

2o6

omicron

Oh, it gets better. Toyota Australia presents.......the Rukus!

'Toyota has announced that it will launch its Rukus 'urban utility vehicle' around the middle of the year.

Nissan has said it can't build a viable business case for the Cube, but Toyota shares no such misgivings about the Rukus, a Toyota-badged variant based on the Scion xB. Presumably stung by Kia selling over 400 units of the Soul last year -- right on target for that company's sales forecast -- Toyota has decided to get in the game also.

The Rukus, being based on the Scion xB, is marketed elsewhere as the Corolla Rumion. Toyota says that the Rukus will be aimed at "young, urban trend-setters" and the company is planning for this vehicle to conquest the sort of buyer who has never previously owned or considered owning a Toyota.

"It will be a case of 'Rukus' by name and ruckus by nature," said Scott Thompson, Toyota Australia's marketing manager.

"This is a car that's designed to be different, with a boxy shape that has become iconic. When it's launched late in the first half of this year, it will certainly stir up the small-car market -- creating a 'ruckus', if you will."

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010/small-passenger/toyota/toyota-rukus-revealed-18702

:facepalm:

sportyaccordy

Range Rover in general has goofy brake light choices...

The orange ones light up red for the brakes. I don't know where the turn signals are.

This is a great brake lamp design....

All the red lights up for braking, orange lights up for turning, white lights up for reverse. EDM/JDM foglights are an extra light on the bumper.