Ownership report: 2005 Honda Accord.

Started by GoCougs, March 07, 2010, 10:43:02 PM

GoCougs

Yes, I know, the Accord is better than any of the cars you guys own, but I have a strong hunch there are many such 7th gen examples in your respective areas for relatively cheap.

CJ

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 18, 2010, 09:12:07 AM
I'm almost certain the Accord DX V6 comes with velour upholstered 60-40 split rear seats.

That's one thing it doesn't have.  They only have a one-piece folding backseat. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 18, 2010, 10:30:42 AM
Yes, I know, the Accord is better than any of the cars you guys own, but I have a strong hunch there are many such 7th gen examples in your respective areas for relatively cheap.
Indeed, which makes it even greater. You could pay more (or less) for a different, faster, more luxurious car, but why?

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 17, 2010, 04:06:05 PM
Need a sports car? Accord DX V6 sedan can clear the quarter in the low 15s.

LOL, somehow I managed to pull ahead of a newer Accord V6 coupe from a freeway stoplight onramp last Friday. I can't speculate much, but it did sound like he was trying. At least the car sounded pretty nice. I knew it was a V6 because I eventually let off at ~75, and the other guy kept accelerating, and passed by.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 18, 2010, 11:47:51 AM
LOL, somehow I managed to pull ahead of a newer Accord V6 coupe from a freeway stoplight onramp last Friday. I can't speculate much, but it did sound like he was trying. At least the car sounded pretty nice. I knew it was a V6 because I eventually let off at ~75, and the other guy kept accelerating, and passed by.

Prolly told his bros that he "beat that motherfucker."

Vinsanity

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2010, 11:51:02 AM
Prolly told his bros that he "beat that motherfucker."

...or writing a post on some riceboi forum similar to Cougs's "Accord vs. Audi" thread :mask:

GoCougs

Not sure what is going on here other - either way the 7th gen Accord is quicker, albeit not by much, than the first gen 260hp 3.6L CTS...

2o6

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on April 18, 2010, 05:57:01 PM
Not sure what is going on here other - either way the 7th gen Accord is quicker, albeit not by much, than the first gen 260hp 3.6L CTS...

either way, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. If I really cared that much about it, I wouldn't have bought either car.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 18, 2010, 05:57:01 PM
Ah, and by proxy is the better car

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2010, 05:58:58 PM
Yeah, we don't care.

The thread does however; it found itself defocused and needed correction.

GoCougs

I'd probably go Legacy GT actually - the WRX is a stunning performance bargain but I think I'd like something a bit bigger. Plus, the TL-SH AWD XXXFFFEEESSFSDGFSDGFSDSS is a lotta coin - double what I paid for the Accord.

The domicile needs a new roofs and bids are coming in about 4x what I was anticipating. Sigh, life is so g-d expensive. I don't need the roofs today but probably by next year (at least the roof over the garage, which is of the evil torch-down type).

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

S204STi

Either one.  Previous one obviously gets preference as an actual performance vehicle, but I don't mind the styling of the new car.  Also, the engine for the new car won a Wards best-engine award, it's that good.

AutobahnSHO

can't ever go wrong with a subie.

If it's newer it's nicer.
If it's old enough, it's a beater that can take most everything.

Camcords FTL
Will

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on April 18, 2010, 09:05:24 PM
Either one.  Previous one obviously gets preference as an actual performance vehicle, but I don't mind the styling of the new car.  Also, the engine for the new car won a Wards best-engine award, it's that good.

If the current WRX is too small, then the previous Legacy is too small too.  It's less roomy inside than my Jetta. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on April 18, 2010, 10:30:42 AM
Yes, I know, the Accord is better than any of the cars you guys own,

NO

Quotebut I have a strong hunch there are many such 7th gen examples in your respective areas for relatively cheap.

CHEAP.
Will

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on April 19, 2010, 05:50:34 AM
If the current WRX is too small, then the previous Legacy is too small too.  It's less roomy inside than my Jetta. 

Is there really such thing as too small?  I just put in earplugs so I can't hear the whining from the back seat.

SVT666

I think Cougs is just trying to find a reason to buy another Accord.

Maxxum

Quote from: SVT666 on April 19, 2010, 10:12:34 PM
I probably wouldn't. I am tired of hearing my dash rattling. If I am looking for a family sedan with a slushy, I probably would even buy a Buick Lacrosse if not a Subaru.
Granted, the radio was replaced by the company (for free) soon after the 36K warranty was over (it was nice of them, though the light failure was a known problem) and that worsened the rattle to no end. It used to be only in cold weather, not it crackles all the time. Although I am very happy with the car's reliability, touching 100K in the 6th year and touchwood...only oil/brake/tire changes. Quality is amazing, execution lacked some.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

3.0L V6

Quote from: SVT666 on April 19, 2010, 10:12:34 PM

He was happy with the current one he owns?

GoCougs

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on April 26, 2010, 09:01:23 PM
He was happy with the current one he owns?

Didn't you hear? Accords are evil (= because I own one).

Per Maxxum's post I agree and I remain disappointed in interior rattles. With miles it's lessened somewhat. I also remain disappointed in road noise. Apparently the latter has not been addressed in the 8th gen.

This weekend I did a fair amount of rough gravel road driving; both in my car and in an '04 Outback. Even my car with more miles had the much stiffer structure and had far fewer rattles. The Outback rattled and shimmied to no end. Granted, a wagon is begging to be not as stiff as a sedan, but I expected better from the OB.

Would I trade no interior rattles and a lot less road noise for 20 less hp, mediocre strut-type suspension and a flimsier chassis? Probably not; I think Honda with the 7th gen did okay on balance.

GoCougs

Another update 'cause I know you guys were just dying to hear more.

All is well. Now at ~125,000 miles. Still zero problems, and all is holding up very well. Always thought the A/T would go but she soldiers on just fine.

I'm pining for a new ride, and if I had to pull the trigger it'd reluctantly be a G37X w/sport package (want Japanese AWD performance sedan but don't want fancy).

AutobahnSHO

You drive too much.  :lol:

My 1997 Subie has almost 150k.
Will

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on November 16, 2010, 07:51:27 AM
Another update 'cause I know you guys were just dying to hear more.

All is well. Now at ~125,000 miles. Still zero problems, and all is holding up very well. Always thought the A/T would go but she soldiers on just fine.

I'm pining for a new ride, and if I had to pull the trigger it'd reluctantly be a G37X w/sport package (want Japanese AWD performance sedan but don't want fancy).

Get a gently used RL - they're dirt cheap and pretty nice to boot. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Why would you be "reluctant" to buy a G37?

Xer0

Quote from: Submariner on November 24, 2010, 11:18:13 PM
Get a gently used RL - they're dirt cheap and pretty nice to boot. 

Actually not a bad idea.  You can get a used 09 one for probably like 25k.  And best part, its still an Accord!