Next Generation Police Interceptor

Started by Catman, March 11, 2010, 05:12:45 AM

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Annnnnnd boom goes the Ford stock.

$13.20+

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=f

r0tor

r0tor making more money again.... soon i'll be able to buy an A4 for my $4000 investment  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

93JC

So, has this new Taurus police package been unveiled yet?

giant_mtb

Ouch.  Perhaps I spoke too soon.  All the profit takers are gettin' out.  Pullllllllllllllback.

Regardless, they've officially broken the $13 mark.

S204STi

Quote from: Catman on March 11, 2010, 06:13:56 PM
An AWD option would be good for agencies that frequently have inclement weather. 

I can think of a number of states that could benefit from that.

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Catman

WookieOnRitalin

It looks pretty damn good. Taurus based. AWD. 3.5L Duratec with or without EcoBoost. Vinyl seats. 18 inch wheels.

I'd rock one!
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

3.0L V6

After seeing this, I think the Charger will take most of the police market for several reasons:

1. The Charger is rear-drive, is on a proven platform and did very well in MSP testing.
2. The Charger offers a choice of engines - the more efficient 3.5L V6 for city police and the 5.7L V8 for highway patrol. Both engines have a good track record for durability.
3. Unlike the Caprice, the Charger has excellent aftermarket parts availability in North America thanks to years of sales of the 300C and civilian Charger.

I can't see Ford offering a competitive price for the Taurus with Ecoboost and AWD due to complexity and since GM has to import the Caprice and related parts from subsidiaries around the world, I can't imagine how that would be competitive either.

Catman

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on March 12, 2010, 10:22:15 AM
After seeing this, I think the Charger will take most of the police market for several reasons:

1. The Charger is rear-drive, is on a proven platform and did very well in MSP testing.
2. The Charger offers a choice of engines - the more efficient 3.5L V6 for city police and the 5.7L V8 for highway patrol. Both engines have a good track record for durability.
3. Unlike the Caprice, the Charger has excellent aftermarket parts availability in North America thanks to years of sales of the 300C and civilian Charger.

I can't see Ford offering a competitive price for the Taurus with Ecoboost and AWD due to complexity and since GM has to import the Caprice and related parts from subsidiaries around the world, I can't imagine how that would be competitive either.

I was driving a Charger yesterday.  We won't buy anymore. 

Catman

GoCougs

Wow did the presenters go to great lengths to not mention the "T" word.

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2010, 10:57:32 AM
Wow did the presenters go to great lengths to not mention the "T" word.

I know

ifcar

3.0L V6

Quote from: Catman on March 12, 2010, 10:34:28 AM
I was driving a Charger yesterday.  We won't buy anymore. 

May I ask why?

93JC

S204STi

This seems like a decent car, to my unprofessional eye.  Maybe once MI starts testing them you'll get to see if it can handle the needs of LE effectively.  The idea of the EcoBoost with AWD get my juices flowing...  would make this a great vehicle for the Colorado State Patrol.

Catman

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on March 12, 2010, 11:21:08 AM
May I ask why?

We only have one and it drive well enough but the visibility is terrible, the dealer network is poor and many departments have had reliability issues with them.

Raza

Quote from: Catman on March 11, 2010, 07:59:31 PM

I know, I know, but whenever I see a copper pull into a doughnut shop, I still laugh. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Been following some of the comments over at officer.com.  I don't think some of these guys realize how archaic the CVPI is.

the Teuton

Quote from: Catman on March 13, 2010, 10:58:11 AM
Been following some of the comments over at officer.com.  I don't think some of these guys realize how archaic the CVPI is.

But other than gas mileage and a dated design, can you tell me why the CVPI would be a bad car for cops? It's rugged, reliable, it handles reasonably well, has a huge GVWR, and it's comfortable.

My thought was that they should have put a hybrid engine/motor in the CV, updated the styling and bits that needed it, and called it a day.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 13, 2010, 11:20:15 AM
But other than gas mileage and a dated design, can you tell me why the CVPI would be a bad car for cops? It's rugged, reliable, it handles reasonably well, has a huge GVWR, and it's comfortable.

My thought was that they should have put a hybrid engine/motor in the CV, updated the styling and bits that needed it, and called it a day.

I wouldn't say a hybrid design, but maybe the new 3.7L V6 or 5.0L V8 with a six speed automatic might be a worthwhile improvement. Possibly relocating the fuel tank might be an idea also. However, I'd imagine that those improvements would utterly destroy any profit margin on the car itself.

Catman

Quote from: the Teuton on March 13, 2010, 11:20:15 AM

The CVPI will not meet safety standards going forward, it's terribly dated and does virtually nothing well.  Yeah they are pretty durable but not great in my opinion.  We've always had front ends that don't last, bad transmissions on occasion and poor fuel economy.  The engines have been incredible though.

WookieOnRitalin

I do not think the Charger will take over the market. I honestly believe that the Ford Interceptor will be the vehicle of choice. I cannot prove that and arguing about it would be total supposition. I'd be surprised if Ford's market share in this area dropped below 60%. The presentation said they had an 70% market right now.

Here's my problem and maybe Catman can help me out with this, but from what I understand, this is going to be a bit more expensive than the Crown Vic no? Vics and Impalas are typically chosen by a lot of municipalities do to the fact that they are inexpensive to buy, reliable, and easy to fix if something goes wrong. The Impala's ultimate problem is that it is FWD while the Vic was a RWD monster. Even if you take out the creature comforts out of the Taurus, will this vehicle be equally as expensive or will it sell for around the same price point as the Vic?

Superficially, this looks better and more rugged to me. I loved the design elements on the new Taurus. Between the Taurus and the LaCrosse, both Ford and GM have built some excellent large vehicles. I saw a LaCrosse today at the gym and my, was it looking great. It was a red CXL with a beige leather that looked plush.

I will say, AWD EcoBoost would be BA. I think the men in blue will have a great time with this vehicle and do it with a little more style.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Catman

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on March 13, 2010, 01:41:31 PM
I do not think the Charger will take over the market. I honestly believe that the Ford Interceptor will be the vehicle of choice. I cannot prove that and arguing about it would be total supposition. I'd be surprised if Ford's market share in this area dropped below 60%. The presentation said they had an 70% market right now.

Here's my problem and maybe Catman can help me out with this, but from what I understand, this is going to be a bit more expensive than the Crown Vic no? Vics and Impalas are typically chosen by a lot of municipalities do to the fact that they are inexpensive to buy, reliable, and easy to fix if something goes wrong. The Impala's ultimate problem is that it is FWD while the Vic was a RWD monster. Even if you take out the creature comforts out of the Taurus, will this vehicle be equally as expensive or will it sell for around the same price point as the Vic?

Superficially, this looks better and more rugged to me. I loved the design elements on the new Taurus. Between the Taurus and the LaCrosse, both Ford and GM have built some excellent large vehicles. I saw a LaCrosse today at the gym and my, was it looking great. It was a red CXL with a beige leather that looked plush.

I will say, AWD EcoBoost would be BA. I think the men in blue will have a great time with this vehicle and do it with a little more style.

If I had to guess I think the standard FWD with the 3.5 will be priced at or below the current CVPI.  The AWD drive option might be $1500-2000 more and the Ecoboost another $1500-2000 over that.  That's just a guess though.  One thing to consider is that some of that can be offset by fuel savings but intitial costs will be more due to the need to purchase new cages and other stuff.  I also wonder if there is a financial benefit to Ford dropping the inefficient CVPI due to poor fuel efficiency.

3.0L V6

Quote from: Catman on March 13, 2010, 01:47:43 PM
I also wonder if there is a financial benefit to Ford dropping the inefficient CVPI due to poor fuel efficiency.

I'd imagine that increasing CAFE restrictions would encourage Ford to drop the CVPI, among a multitude of other reasons. Meeting next generation regulations for crash protection, stability control, etc. would likely require an expensive redesign of the car. Also, since Ford doesn't sell many civilian versions of the Panther platform anymore (who buys a body on frame, V8 rear-drive car anymore?), they have trouble keeping the assembly plant utilized at full capacity, so the advantage of using high volumes to offset costs is gone.

If Ford can produce a FWD Taurus at the same or less cost than the CVPI, why not? Everyone knew the writing was on the wall - the CV had to go sometime. It's been a heck of a run.

GoCougs

The reason why the CVPI is such a terrible car is the same reason why Detroit stopped making cars like it more than 20 years ago; all aspects of performance, economy, safety and space utilization being the biggies, are just plain bad. Further, its chassis couldn't handle the ~400 hp of the new 5.0L V8 without profound chassis and suspension upgrades.

rohan

Quote from: r0tor on March 11, 2010, 06:15:24 PM
If you knock a front wheel in on a RWD car while spinning out the bad guy, only some suspension and maybe steering pieces need replacement.  You do that in a FWD or AWD car and the suspension, steering, axles, and even tranny could be hosed...
Very very few agencies including ours even allow PIT to be used and then only by really highly trained people.  Plus you don't hit the fleeing car with your tire just the corner of the bumper.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Catman on March 12, 2010, 10:34:28 AM
I was driving a Charger yesterday.  We won't buy anymore.  
Interesting.  we just cancelled an order for 6 more Imps for 8 new chargers.  Imps we have are not holding together and have about 32% down/repair time (including gen. maint.) while both the CVPI's and Chargers are about 8% down/repair time.  Imps just aren't holding up and doing the math we discovered we could buy 2 extra cars for a 2 year period on the repair bills alone- so- we did.  we aren't even going to consider the new GM cars until MSP has a go at them in Lansing.

(I have my theories about the down times on the Imps tho based on how ppl here feel about them)
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle