UPDATED. Mom needs a new car/crossover/SUV.

Started by BimmerM3, March 15, 2010, 03:01:31 PM

BimmerM3

So, last week my mom's 2001 Grand Cherokee got in a fight with a pole in a parking lot and the Jeep lost. She's fine, but the Jeep isn't. To make a short story shorter, she's getting a new car.

Now, I haven't gotten all the details from her about what she wants and budget and stuff, but I can make some decent guesses to get the brainstorming going.

My best guesses as to what her guidelines will be:
-New
-Cute-ute/crossover
-heated seats
-leather (or good imitation leather).
-under 30k.

What I might be able to convince her to get in the name of practicality:
-Lightly used, probably CPO
-maybe consider a car, probably a wagon
-$20-$25k

Now, I have to admit that I've been a bit out of the loop as far as the cute-ute/crossover category goes, so I'm not really sure what's out there. Basically, she really liked her Jeep, so she'll probably want something similar, but a bit cheaper (the economy hasn't exactly been kind her and my step-dad). The only thing she ever really uses the extra cargo room for is tailgating at GT games, and the Jeep gets pretty full but not packed too the brim, so it can't be too much smaller than the Jeep, cargo-wise. That might be a bit flexible though.

I'll let you all know when I get some real details from her. Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Secret Chimp

You can find a 2006ish Acura MDX with less than 50k for around that price range.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Unless it's too carlike for her, my top recommendation would be the Subaru Outback. Spacious, fuel-efficient, reasonably priced.

The Toyota RAV4 and the new Kia Sorento are both roomy, quiet, not too expensive, and pleasant to drive.

The new Equinox/Terrain is a really nice vehicle to drive if she doesn't have a lead foot (the transmission would infuriate anyone who's always in a hurry), but the first reliability results haven't been promising.

I've never especially liked it myself, but the Ford Edge is probably the closest crossover to an old Grand Cherokee -- a midsize SUV that's shaped for five passengers.

And if she'd like something big and midsize, the Kia Borrego is running on super-discount right now.

Raza

Yes, for the once-per-decade two inches of snow they get in Atlanta, AWD is a must.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on March 15, 2010, 04:08:23 PM
Yes, for the once-per-decade two inches of snow they get in Atlanta, AWD is a must.

Show me where I said she needs AWD. ;)

Although, knowing my step-dad, he'll probably want her to get AWD/4WD. :facepalm:

rohan

08 Pacifica  
around here the loaded ones are running about 20-40 miles and about $22-29k.

If that's not her style

08 BMW X3 

same miles, same price and can even get them coming off lease with remainder of the BMW warranty plus additional used warranty. 

Had one for a weekend as a loaner from the dealership and it's alot better than I thought it would be.  Good power- reasonably fun to drive- quiet- didn't have the iDrive and reasonable mileage like 21ish for the entire weekend including a trip to Detroit and around there.  It also rode pretty well and was pretty quiet.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

SVT666

Ford Edge.  [/thread]

Or how about a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT with leather for $22,000+/-.  I got mine for $19K.  Surprisingly, my wife loves it more then the Freestyle we had, despite being smaller and more trucklike.

Tave

Is she going to let you have any input, or is this just some masturbatory exercise?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CJ

rohan

Quote from: the Teuton on March 15, 2010, 10:08:44 PM
It's a fucking terrible vehicle compared to what else is out there for the money (and less).
What is?  And- how would you have any idea? 

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

I ask again- what have you driven a few of  around?

~Chief Seattle

the Teuton

Quote from: rohan on March 15, 2010, 10:24:04 PM
I ask again- what have you driven a few of  around?

I estimate that I drove between 1,000 and 1,200 BMWs when I worked at that dealer. I drove a lot of X3s, some of which on jaunts lasting 15-20 miles at a clip. I probably drove 100-200 X3s, if you count driving the same service loaners a few different times. I did not really like the X3. The 3er wagon was a much nicer beast for those in need of a bit more capacity.

I think you're becoming a BMW troll.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

rohan

I drove one for 4 days over about 800 miles from where I live to Detroit- around detroit- to lansing and back to where I live.  I guess that doesn't count compared to your driving them around a lot parking them and washing them- but why should it right?

BMW troll?  Uhmmm- I actually own one-

What's your excuse?

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Ugh.  I...uhm....think I stated my point?

(psst- lay off the booze)

~Chief Seattle

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on March 15, 2010, 09:16:36 PM
Is she going to let you have any input, or is this just some masturbatory exercise?

She told me to start looking into something to replace the Jeep.

Jake and Rohan: No one cares. Please do not thread jack my thread.

rohan

Quote from: the Teuton on March 15, 2010, 10:39:46 PM
You're a BMW troll...and the X3 is Austrian.

It's nice for a 1997 BMW. And why does everyone mention the same old garbage about me driving cars in parking lots? People make purchasing decisions on cars while driving them less miles than I have.

Give up, fogey. Grab a donut and leave. While I have my biases against some BMWs, I will admit to one piece of truth on the forums: The X3 is the worst BMW made today, and it wasn't that great by 2004 standards when it debuted, either.
Are you really this stupid?  Seriously?  

800 miles in a parking lot?  

HUNDREDS of X3's?  

seriously?

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: the Teuton on March 15, 2010, 10:55:43 PM
I'm not the one using an apostrophe for pluralization, Mr. Cam Tick.
UGH.  :facepalm:

~Chief Seattle

WookieOnRitalin

I'd say the Sorento or Sante Fe are excellent options. The Sorento gets 20/28 with a V6. That's pretty freaking awesome.

A CR-V with Leather rolls in at around 27k.

A Sorento V6 + Premium Package rolls in at around 30k with cash back. Drop the V6 and it is at around 27k.

A Sante Fe Limited 4-Cyl rolls in at around 26.5k.

Outback Limited rolls in at around 26.6k.

A CX-7 S Touring w/Heated Leather rolls in at 26.5k + 2200 for Sunroof, Bose, Automatic Climate Control.

Those are probably the best of the lot. These are all FWD prices (minus the Subaru). AWD will add around 1500 to 2000 bones.

Those would be some solid choices.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

the Teuton

A Santa Fe is mighty nice come to think of it...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

What other brands offer fake leather in the US?

I only know of Mercedes with their MB-Tex, which we have in our E320.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2010, 06:08:16 AM
What other brands offer fake leather in the US?

I only know of Mercedes with their MB-Tex, which we have in our E320.

VW and BMW. Maybe more.

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on March 16, 2010, 06:35:40 AM
VW and BMW. Maybe more.

In my browsing of different car companies car-builders yesterday, VW is the only one that I specifically remember being fake leather, but that's hardly an exhaustive list.

I haven't had a chance to talk to my mom more yet, but I'm going to see if I can do that later today.

Also, how quick are these cute-utes with the I4 engines? My mom doesn't have a lead food, but she's got the V8 in the Jeep and she takes advantage of that when pulling into traffic sometimes.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 15, 2010, 04:28:56 PM
Show me where I said she needs AWD. ;)

Although, knowing my step-dad, he'll probably want her to get AWD/4WD. :facepalm:

I was addressing the immediate responses of "Subaru".

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21548.msg1289250#msg1289250 date=1268748613

The Outback and Tribeca are good cars.....who cares what wheels are driven?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on March 16, 2010, 08:10:13 AM

Just because she doesn't need AWD doesn't mean that the best car for her doesn't have it. :huh:

ifcar

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 16, 2010, 08:04:49 AM

Also, how quick are these cute-utes with the I4 engines? My mom doesn't have a lead food, but she's got the V8 in the Jeep and she takes advantage of that when pulling into traffic sometimes.

I don't remember old Grand Cherokees putting down great performance numbers, so she probably wouldn't give up too much. A FWD 4-cylinder compact SUV will have about the same pep as a good compact car.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on March 16, 2010, 08:10:51 AM

The Outback and Tribeca are good cars.....who cares what wheels are driven?

The Tribeca is cramped and expensive.

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on March 16, 2010, 08:13:07 AM
I don't remember old Grand Cherokees putting down great performance numbers, so she probably wouldn't give up too much. A FWD 4-cylinder compact SUV will have about the same pep as a good compact car.

The Jeep is surprisingly quick, actually. According to zeroto60times.com, it hits 60 in 6.6 seconds. It only has 235hp, but it makes 295lb-ft.