WTF is up with my brakes?

Started by SVT_Power, March 17, 2010, 06:50:02 PM

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on March 23, 2010, 10:40:30 AM
This is the same shop that normally does work on your cars, right?  Since you have a history with them I bet they'll take care of you.

Yep I haven't been there in months and the guy still remembered me.

My parents have been going here for everything on the explorer for years now. I've taken my car in a couple of times as well.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Now there comes another question. I can either use up a CAA tow or try to drive my car there. The garage is like half a block from my place.

My car is still "drivable" just with a disturbing grinding coming from the FUBAR rotor side. Now my question is, as weird as this sounds, can I drive half a block without that one caliper on. I'd have the rotor on so i can put the wheels on obviously. I know this sounds like a retarded idea (even coming from me), but for half a block?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

nvm on that. that knuckle could actually pop out if i did that

r0tor

umm something else is up besides the wheel bearing... you would never have been able to reassemble the brakes if it was off that bad from them
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

SVT_Power

Quote from: r0tor on March 23, 2010, 11:01:43 AM
umm something else is up besides the wheel bearing... you would never have been able to reassemble the brakes if it was off that bad from them

The caliper bolts were very loose. After months of salt, I could still turn them with a ratchet. The other side on the other hand I had to use a torch.

S204STi

Where they still snug at least?

SVT_Power

Just back from the garage. Turns out apparently the C clip that's supposed to hold the bearing in place (I have no idea what that is) is gone. So that let the bearing slide out.

S204STi

That explains it. IMO "gone" means they didn't reinstall it.

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on March 23, 2010, 02:59:29 PM
That explains it. IMO "gone" means they didn't reinstall it.

That's exactly what popped into my head when they told me this. Now I didn't confront them about that specifically yet. We haven't talked about what he's gonna charge me, but he did say he's just gonna claim the bearing as warranty and get me a free bearing to replace it.

Now he could say "yeah I won't charge you for the part but I'm gonna charge you for the labor today" when i get back. Now there's no way to prove that they didn't reinstall the clip and ultimately their mistake led to this. He might say "yeah well I'll just charge you XX instead of the full labor charge". I have no idea. I'm gonna have to wait for this to play out first.

Oh and turns out the focus brake kit actually doesn't swap right in. I was under the impression that it does. Apparently the rotor comes too far back and won't clear the caliper bolts or something? I'm gonna have to investigate this ASAP. So for now they're just gonna throw all my brake components back together so I can drive the car again.

S204STi

Hmm.  How do other guys do the swap?

I'd pressure the guy to do the work for free myself since really the only way for that clip to be "gone" is for it to have not been properly installed, IMO.

SVT_Power

Well I went back to the shop after they called me, and they just gave me the keys to the car and said "see ya". Didn't pay a cent. I ended up getting them a dozen donuts.

And I think I was misinformed about the swap. The rotors can be easily swapped in with a adapter plate that's available to use the stock calipers. But the focus calipers CAN be used as well but it's a rare swap so nobody really makes the part necessary to make it all work. But that's not a problem. I have tons of engineer friends and I have access to a mill at the school machine shop. So that can be pretty easily taken care of. But apparently, some 17" wheels won't clear the SVT Focus calipers - not in terms of offset, but inside diameter of the rim. So I'm gonna have to kind of mock mount the new caliper tomorrow to see what exactly isn't working and if the wheel will clear.

S204STi

That's great that they took care of you, good deal there.  Sounds like a decent shop.

As for the swap... yeah, sounds like fun. :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on March 23, 2010, 06:07:29 PM
That's great that they took care of you, good deal there.  Sounds like a decent shop.

As for the swap... yeah, sounds like fun. :lol:

Well the fact that they didn't charge me a single dime even for the parts (but then again the parts were probably less than $20), and they didn't try to put up any kind of fight is making me think "I guess I could go back to these guys...".

And hey, it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a challenge!  :lol:

S204STi

omicron

Remind me to never live anywhere near salted roads. Dear me. It looks like the aftermath of nuclear testing under there.

SVT_Power

Motherfucker. The exact same issue is back, but on the other side this time. Gonna call up the shop and hopefully they'll be willing to do this side this time without charging me.

hounddog

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 17, 2010, 06:50:02 PM
My left front brake started grinding occasionally a while ago, but it went away when I changed the LF tie rod end so I thought it was a bit loose or something and fucking around. But it came back permanently a while ago and recently it got so bad that I just stuck the car in the garage until tonight. I had my steelies on so I couldn't really see the damage, but today I realized what kind of FUBAR situation I have here.

Left front which is FUBAR

Right front which is fine for comparison

Dey broak.  That wut wrong.  :huh:  

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

SVT_Power

Apparently, it wasn't the bearing or the clip that was wrong this time. The entire hub was messed up (not sure how) and the bearing was sliding around inside the hub  :mask:

Now I need a new hub and that's gonna be pricey...  :cry:

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 31, 2010, 08:31:54 PM
Apparently, it wasn't the bearing or the clip that was wrong this time. The entire hub was messed up (not sure how) and the bearing was sliding around inside the hub  :mask:

Now I need a new hub and that's gonna be pricey...  :cry:

Yep a hub runs in the ballpark of $100 to $200 each usually