A Horsepower and Fuel Economy War??? Yes!!!

Started by SVT666, March 23, 2010, 09:18:29 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 25, 2010, 11:07:40 AM
as far as I remember, the Camaro has never been short on hp compared to the Mustang. at least for as long as I've been around.
That was a reference to Mopar when they were Ford's prime competitor in NASCAR as well as at the drag strips in the early days.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

I'm staying out of this because Cougs and Nethead are as bad as each other.  Cougs blindly hates everything Ford and Nethead blindly hates anything not Ford.  I'm nowhere near that bad.  So have her dudes.

hotrodalex

Nethead fails to see that the Camaro owned the Mustang last year. And the V6 still doesn't own the Camaro's. 1 HP and 2 MPG. Yeah, nowhere close to owning.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 25, 2010, 01:05:51 PM
Nethead fails to see that the Camaro owned the Mustang last year. And the V6 still doesn't own the Camaro's. 1 HP and 2 MPG. Yeah, nowhere close to owning.
You fail to see that the Mustang owned the Camaro in everything but acceleration.  The V6 weighs 350 lbs less then the Camaro V6, so yeah, it kinda does own it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on March 25, 2010, 11:10:47 AM
Nah FoMoJo, Mopar fans ain't by default Ford haters; additionally Mopar has always built a better engine than Ford since the dawn of the V8 era beginning in the '50s. The coming debut of this 5.0 V8 is the first time that's ever been a question.

Mopar sat on the sidelines in sales and other factors but not because of engines. Mopar has always owned Ford when it came to putting power to the street; most notably in the '55 - '70 heyday courtesy of the 331-392 Hemi, 340/383/440 Magnum, 340/440 Six Pack, and of course, the 426 Hemi.
I don't dispute Mopar built some pretty good engines.  The old DeSoto Firedome was a great engine and contributed enormously to the horsepower wars back then.  As a matter of fact, it may well have inspired the engineers at Ford to launch the lengendary FE series for which the racing world owes so much homage, including the legendary "SOC" engine that had only a moment in the limelight before the curtains came down on that golden era.  The 426 Hemi, of course, survived as the standard dragster engine thanks to Keith Black.  It had the right combination of bore and stroke to create the level of torque most useful to blasting a rail down the quarter mile strip. 

Of course, most Ford guys knew that it was Mopar, not Chevy, that was the real competition on the NA tracks.  However, when they wanted to, they could always one-up them and put out monsters like the Ford 'Fairlane' Thunderbolt for the drag strip or Mercury Cyclones and Ford Torino Talladegas at NASCAR; before the officials deemed them unfair to the competition.  It's almost unfair that Mopar never did get the credit they deserved for always putting up such a good challenge to the Ford teams and most people still think that it was a Chevy vs. Ford battle.  I would have to say that, other than Trans Am, it was pretty much Ford vs. Mopar.  After '71 nobody really cared anymore.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 25, 2010, 01:05:51 PM

You know the game's over when the cling to straw men (SVT666) or bragging about V6s (PsychoHead).

And this time the market as a whole has agreed.

Jon?

Quote from: GoCougs on March 25, 2010, 01:18:56 PM
You know the game's over when the cling to straw men (SVT666) or bragging about V6s (PsychoHead).

What strawman?

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 25, 2010, 01:13:29 PM
I don't dispute Mopar built some pretty good engines.  The old DeSoto Firedome was a great engine and contributed enormously to the horsepower wars back then.  As a matter of fact, it may well have inspired the engineers at Ford to launch the lengendary FE series for which the racing world owes so much homage, including the legendary "SOC" engine that had only a moment in the limelight before the curtains came down on that golden era.  The 426 Hemi, of course, survived as the standard dragster engine thanks to Keith Black.  It had the right combination of bore and stroke to create the level of torque most useful to blasting a rail down the quarter mile strip. 

Of course, most Ford guys knew that it was Mopar, not Chevy, that was the real competition on the NA tracks.  However, when they wanted to, they could always one-up them and put out monsters like the Ford 'Fairlane' Thunderbolt for the drag strip or Mercury Cyclones and Ford Torino Talladegas at NASCAR; before the officials deemed them unfair to the competition.  It's almost unfair that Mopar never did get the credit they deserved for always putting up such a good challenge to the Ford teams and most people still think that it was a Chevy vs. Ford battle.  I would have to say that, other than Trans Am, it was pretty much Ford vs. Mopar.  After '71 nobody really cared anymore.

Yes, I agree on all that but the results of racing have little bearing on retail products, or of who "hates" who as you had asserted.

S204STi

It seems to me that we now have something like three or four active threads about Mustangs and/or their powerplants.  Why can't we keep this all in the, "Official Mustang Circle-Jerk Thread?"  I mean I like the cars and all but I'm sort of tired of hearing about it...

SVT666

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 25, 2010, 01:26:48 PM
It seems to me that we now have something like three or four active threads about Mustangs and/or their powerplants.  Why can't we keep this all in the, "Official Mustang Circle-Jerk Thread?"  I mean I like the cars and all but I'm sort of tired of hearing about it...
You don't have to click on the thread.  I mean, yes I agree with you about the number threads which is why I started the Official Mustang Thread, but some people keep making new ones.  This thread is about more then just the Mustang though.

GoCougs

Quote from: Jon? on March 25, 2010, 01:22:06 PM
What strawman?

Quote from: SVT666 on March 25, 2010, 01:31:36 PM
Yeah. What strawman?

I'm sorry to say your punishment is my silence such that maybe it gives you enough pause to take stock and recognize your error so as to (maybe) not commit it again.

Or, maybe you'll get lucky and Tave will parachute and save you guys again.

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on March 25, 2010, 01:26:48 PM
It seems to me that we now have something like three or four active threads about Mustangs and/or their powerplants.  Why can't we keep this all in the, "Official Mustang Circle-Jerk Thread?"  I mean I like the cars and all but I'm sort of tired of hearing about it...

I dunno - perhaps the Innertards would've been saved a bit had the '10 Camaro been a sales disaster and/or been a gutless pig.

Jon?

Quote from: GoCougs on March 25, 2010, 01:36:17 PM
I'm sorry to say your punishment is my silence such that maybe it gives you enough pause to take stock and recognize your error so as to (maybe) not commit it again.

Translation: "I don't really understand what a strawman is."

Gotcha.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on March 25, 2010, 01:32:52 PM
You don't have to click on the thread.  I mean, yes I agree with you about the number threads which is why I started the Official Mustang Thread, but some people keep making new ones.  This thread is about more then just the Mustang though.

Actually, not to pick on your thread specifically, but the thread title says nothing to the effect that it's yet another camaro vs mustang thread, so yeah in the natural course of my time here I will have to click on the thread if I want to read what it's about.

Just sayin' dude.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 25, 2010, 01:46:44 PM
Actually, not to pick on your thread specifically, but the thread title says nothing to the effect that it's yet another camaro vs mustang thread, so yeah in the natural course of my time here I will have to click on the thread if I want to read what it's about.

Just sayin' dude.
Well, it's not a Camaro vs. Mustang thread anyway.  The opening post had two other articles in it as well.

S204STi

Yeah I guess you're right.  It just sort of devolved into another mustang/camaro pissing contest.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 25, 2010, 01:36:17 PM

Translation:  "I'm an engineer and I know everything.  EVERYTHING!  Even if I don't know it, I know it.  Bow down to me."

Fuck off.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 25, 2010, 02:14:56 PM
Yeah I guess you're right.  It just sort of devolved into another mustang/camaro pissing contest.
Which I had relatively nothing to do with.  This was purely a Cougs and Nethead debacle. 

I just want to make that clear.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on March 25, 2010, 02:16:15 PM
Which I had relatively nothing to do with.  This was purely a Cougs and Nethead debacle. 

:lol:

Catman

FOr the love of everything under the sun would you guys stop your juvenile bickering? :lockedup:

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 25, 2010, 02:15:23 PM
Translation:  "I'm an engineer and I know everything.  EVERYTHING!  Even if I don't know it, I know it.  Bow down to me."

Fuck off.

Don't do stupid stuff if you don't want to get called out, Mr. Straw Man Cometh.

Quote from: SVT666 on March 25, 2010, 02:16:15 PM

Sorry, the name calling and sheer ignorance are your sins alone.

GoCougs

Quote from: Catman on March 25, 2010, 03:27:29 PM
FOr the love of everything under the sun would you guys stop your juvenile bickering? :lockedup:

LOLz - oops.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Nethead on March 25, 2010, 07:55:23 AM
gotta-qik-z28: They're roadtesting production 2011 Mustangs and Mustang GTs (395 RWHP@6600 RPM on chassis dynos) right now, and the order banks for all 2011 Mustangs opened earlier this month--11,000 orders were already taken some weeks ago, doubtless many more by now. 

Have you gotten to test drive a new Camaro convertible?  No you haven't. 

Get smarter and get that C6:  The C6 is hardware, the Camaro convertible is promises.  And the C6 is vastly better hardware anyway.  You know that, I know that.  If and when there ever is a production Camaro convertible, you'll wonder why you ever, ever considered it over the C6 you've been driving in the meantime...
Lets not jump the gun on those Dyno numbers. I can't wait to see the numbers the Stang puts up. as far as the C6 goes I'm still on the fence. I really wish the Camaro SS didn't look indenticle to the V6 (with the optional wheels). I don't want a 25k Camaro looking just like a the SS I priced at 35k.  :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2010, 06:20:17 PM

Fuck me, man, I want all three.  Camaro RS for commuting, Mustang GT convertible for top down canyon carving, and a Challenger SRT8 for cruising and looking damn good. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21597.msg1295116#msg1295116 date=1269563370
Fuck me, man, I want all three.  Camaro RS for commuting, Mustang GT convertible for top down canyon carving, and a Challenger SRT8 for cruising and looking damn good. 

Or a 'Vette for all three.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on March 25, 2010, 01:09:55 PM
You fail to see that the Mustang owned the Camaro in everything but acceleration.  The V6 weighs 350 lbs less then the Camaro V6, so yeah, it kinda does own it.

I was talking purely engine-wise.