Kinda shopping

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, March 24, 2010, 07:22:15 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2010, 10:10:00 PM
Swift.

My friend has a swift with a 7.0L TT smallblock in it out of a ZR1. It is hooked up to a AWD sytem and uses a DSG tranny. It almost keeps up with my del sol(which itself has set several land speed records as well as being the current ring record holder for a stock unibody chassis vehicle).

Vinsanity

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 10:11:18 PM
I'd drive one, it might change my stance.

However I see the G35 as a very powerful yet unrefined performer(compared to the chassis finesse of the RX8 or the all around package of a 3 series). For similar money, it doesn't have any standout attributes.

hmm. it's your call, but other than a more well-assembled interior and a touch more nimble-ness, I don't see what the G35 lacks compared to the 3 series.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2010, 10:17:40 PM
hmm. it's your call, but other than a more well-assembled interior and a touch more nimble-ness, I don't see what the G35 lacks compared to the 3 series.

It's a good point, yet a better interior and the better(slight) chassis dynamics are something I would prefer in the 3.

Plus the G35 seems to hold it's own in value. IMO the first  gen G is not very attractive(compared to the E46). It isn't "bad" but just not as clean and "timeless" as the BMW.

I'd take a 325/328 with less power and better packaging(balance, interior, exterior) to the G's power(which is the G's "main attraction" for the price).

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

FBC, what do you have in your garage, now?

Old Jeep, Z, ?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on March 25, 2010, 12:13:28 AM
FBC, what do you have in your garage, now?

Old Jeep, Z, ?

The Z, my POS NX2000, project 240 and the jeep i'm borrowing from my dad.

S204STi

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 09:02:55 PM
I'll fix your ass, once I figure out who you are. We can't all keep track of your desire to change identities everytime you have a mental breakdown. What was your previous screen name?

Seriously, shouldn't you be racing your swift against a late 80's civic DX in the fast and the (bi)curious 5?

literal lolz

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 25, 2010, 07:20:33 PM
The Z, my POS NX2000, project 240 and the jeep i'm borrowing from my dad.

NX2000 waaaat? Put a turbo on that bitch.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Here's a "knock" against the 3 series

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679669

For my 10K... I'd have a hard time not going with the WRX wagon. Don't sleep, it's a great handling car and is fun to drive.

Also if ur not scared of a little age, the E36 M3 is pretty much the perfect car. However, w/u keeping the Z06, the WRX provides a wider range of ownership.

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 25, 2010, 09:01:48 PM
Here's a "knock" against the 3 series

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679669

For my 10K... I'd have a hard time not going with the WRX wagon. Don't sleep, it's a great handling car and is fun to drive.

Also if ur not scared of a little age, the E36 M3 is pretty much the perfect car. However, w/u keeping the Z06, the WRX provides a wider range of ownership.

300ZX, not Z06

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 07:22:15 PM
So far i have a short(very short) list.

Mazdaspeed3
Mazda 3s 5 door
Mazda RX8
Bmw 3 series

I'd go the Speed3 or the 5 door 3S; but then again I'm a bit biased based on  the very good service our 2006 3I Touring Sedan has given us.  Very good mileage, sporty driving dynamics, decent pep, pretty good option package, excellent for the price.  And it comes in bright red.    :lol:

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 09:50:41 PM
Well i'll be damned, here is another one.

Alittle higher mileage, but it is black(so it appears). A bit higher than my price cap, but no doubt negotiable.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/1633653830.html

Looks fucking good.  Do all PP 330s have black grilles?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 10:20:53 PM
It's a good point, yet a better interior and the better(slight) chassis dynamics are something I would prefer in the 3.

Plus the G35 seems to hold it's own in value. IMO the first  gen G is not very attractive(compared to the E46). It isn't "bad" but just not as clean and "timeless" as the BMW.

I'd take a 325/328 with less power and better packaging(balance, interior, exterior) to the G's power(which is the G's "main attraction" for the price).

I think the coupe looks pretty good, but sedan to sedan, I'd pay more for the 3. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

You can get good deals on RX-8's at that price. Reason being is the gas millage I think. It's one thing to see a window sticker and think "that's not so great." But then you actually fill up the tank over and over again and it really hits you. That said it's the only flaw I can find in this car and I can live with it. It's like having a big Miata that even handles better and can hold shit in it. It's unbelievably smooth and very quiet and comfortable for long drives for a car in it's class. I love high reeving motors with smooth shifting transmissions so it makes the drive even better. Having the 100K warranty on the motor would be a nice thing to have as well. I personally rather have an RX-8 over the MS3. The interior is better, it's RWD and actually rides better.

FlatBlackCaddy

The RX8 does seem to have all the right "moves" IMO.

For what I would be willing to spend I can get a low(er) mileage used light(ish) RWD performance car with fantastic style. While the mazda 3's would offer better FE and more utility the RX would certainly be the drivers choice.

A 3 series would be great, but my price range limits me to higher mileage models.

I might start driving some stuff in the coming weeks.

68_427

A stretch but what about an IS300?

'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

68_427

Don't forget the JDM tails.
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on March 26, 2010, 08:20:09 PM
A stretch but what about an IS300?

Not seeing the appeal, it's a cut rate cut rate wanna be 3 er. I'd be worlds better with a G35. The IS300 is another car that fails(imo) due to the lack of a turbocharger(that is already made and offered in that chassis on that motor).

Thanks for the suggestion though. They are attractive, and I do like me a I6. From what I recall the pickings are slim and price is not a major plus(neither extremely expensive, though not exactly cheap).

68_427

I just noticed while browsing autotrader that they are no cheaper than a comparable 3 series.  Which was not what I was expecting.

Since I'm bored what about a C32 AMG?  350hp.   :rockon:
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on March 26, 2010, 08:26:28 PM
I just noticed while browsing autotrader that they are no cheaper than a comparable 3 series.  Which was not what I was expecting.

Since I'm bored what about a C32 AMG?

Love one, not a auto fan but the only car i'd buy with a auto would be a MB.

I looked into them before the 540, great cars. Typical forced induction scenario. Fast stock, a tune and intake exhaust turns it into a beast.

The only problem with the C32 is that the C55 came after it, and the minor updates are much more interesting to me.

I'd love a C55 AMG in black.

Either way I think a CLEAN C32 is a bit out of my range, high teens low 20's IIRC.

68_427

Yeah they are around $18K for a clean one.
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 26, 2010, 08:22:37 PM
Not seeing the appeal, it's a cut rate cut rate wanna be 3 er. I'd be worlds better with a G35. The IS300 is another car that fails(imo) due to the lack of a turbocharger(that is already made and offered in that chassis on that motor).

Thanks for the suggestion though. They are attractive, and I do like me a I6. From what I recall the pickings are slim and price is not a major plus(neither extremely expensive, though not exactly cheap).

They make kits for those; the turbos.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2010, 08:30:45 PM
They make kits for those; the turbos.

Sure, so if i can get a clean IS300 and a turbo kit for 13K invested i'd be down.

the Teuton

Finding a stick IS300 for a reasonable price is like finding a stick AE86 for a reasonable price. There's a drift tax added.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

CJ

I hate to say this, but you may be able to find an S60R in your price range.