That's the gist of it.

Requirements:
Under $9K
Automatic

Priorities
Reliability/Low Miles
MPGs

ifcar

A 2007 or even 2008 Focus is fairly easy to come by in that price range with low miles, as is a 2008 or 2009 Spectra (which includes half the original factory warranty.) I've been theoretical-shopping the same cars with manuals, and those two always show up in my searches from dealers who list the wrong transmissions. The 2008 Elantra may also be a possibility, and they've gotten top reliability ratings.

They're not great cars -- not terrible, but not great for $9,000 -- but the Accent/Rio are serviceable basic transportation with good reliability ratings and which can be found at that price point. The best Accent deals are for the 3-door model; does your friend need four doors?

Also, when your friend shops, s/he'll want to ask for Carfax reports -- not just for potential accident damage but to see how many owners the cars have had and when they were first registered. For $9,000 they will (or should) be getting something with remaining factory warranty, so a 2008-model car that was bought in 12/08 has more warranty than a 2009 model bought the month before.

Jon?

There are 800 million previous gen Malibus hardly driven and cheap as hell on the used car market.

Not a great car but decent room and cheap to keep up.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Toyota Camry, great deals on the used market I bet.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.