Will we get the BlueSport in the U.S.?

Started by TurboDan, March 27, 2010, 03:55:01 PM

TurboDan

Though we don't know ALL the details, it seems like VDubz is actually going to produce the BlueSport in one iteration or another. Since it's going to be diesel-powered, that raises the question as to whether or not they'll sell it here. I hope they do!

Has anyone heard anything on how this vehicle is coming along?

Payman

I hope so. It would be a compelling personal sportscar in the $30-$35K range. Much better looking than the current EOS.

the Teuton

If we get the Porsche variant, I don't think we will. Americans haven't completely embraced diesels, and also, why sell a $30k VW sports car when the same people who'd buy it would be willing to buy a CPO Boxster or just get the $40k Porsche version instead?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 04:25:13 PM
If we get the Porsche variant, I don't think we will. Americans haven't completely embraced diesels, and also, why sell a $30k VW sports car when the same people who'd buy it would be willing to buy a CPO Boxster or just get the $40k Porsche version instead?

I don't think that really reflects the American consumer's mindset.

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 27, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

I don't think that really reflects the American consumer's mindset.

There is definitely a market for something like this in the US, but here are some obstacles:

-GM couldn't be profitable with the SolSky after raising the price $5,000 after the first year. It sold like hotcakes. If that couldn't make it at $30,000, who's to say VW could sell this for the same amount? Figure at least $35k.

-At that price, why not just get a Miata instead?

-I don't think there's a huge market for something like this in the US.

-Also, perception. How will they market this thing?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Galaxy

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 04:34:28 PM

The Miata is not mid engined.

the Teuton

Quote from: Galaxy on March 27, 2010, 04:42:47 PM

Suddenly, it's 2001 all over again. We all know how that one went, too.

Galaxy

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 04:54:27 PM
Suddenly, it's 2001 all over again. We all know how that one went, too.

Correct me of I am wrong, but i believe that this was a vehicle which had almost zero synergy with other Toyotas, which made it extremely expensive for Toyota to make. The Blue Sport concept on the other had is basically the MQB plattform backwards.

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on March 27, 2010, 05:27:15 PM
Correct me of I am wrong, but i believe that this was a vehicle which had almost zero synergy with other Toyotas, which made it extremely expensive for Toyota to make. The Blue Sport concept on the other had is basically the MQB plattform backwards.

The MR-2 was also extremely impractical, making it impossible to be used as a daily car for most people, whereas an MX-5 would suffice.  It was ugly as well.  And for most of its life, it didn't offer an automatic transmission.  And, not to mention that the interior was cheap and looked it; the MX-5's was much better.  And when it wasn't an instant success, Toyota abandoned it to sell more boring sedans.  So despite being a better car than the MX-5, it was a sales failure. 

I do hope they sell a gas version of the BlueSport as well.  I will absolutely buy one, if they sell it with a proper manual and don't R32 us.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 04:34:28 PM
There is definitely a market for something like this in the US, but here are some obstacles:

-GM couldn't be profitable with the SolSky after raising the price $5,000 after the first year. It sold like hotcakes. If that couldn't make it at $30,000, who's to say VW could sell this for the same amount? Figure at least $35k.

That's not why it wasn't profitable. The technology for the platform was just too expensive. A more traditional approach to manufacturing the car would have made it fine.

Choice.

-I don't think there's a huge market for something like this in the US.

You're flat out wrong. The Miata is the only affordable sports car.

-Also, perception. How will they market this thing?

As a cheap convertible, duh.

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on March 27, 2010, 04:20:36 PM

I hope so. It would be a compelling personal sportscar in the $30-$35K range. Much better looking than the current EOS.

Better pictures:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Catman

the Teuton

Don't get me wrong, it looks nice. But VW isn't going to be able to hock a modern Karman Ghia in the US.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 08:08:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, it looks nice. But VW isn't going to be able to hock a modern Karman Ghia in the US.

This is nowhere near a Karmann Ghia.

This is an MR sports car, not a slow, 4-place rear engined coupe.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 08:08:41 PM

And you've come to this informed decision by studying the market? 

Sub-30K sports cars are one of the least attended market sectors; as it stands, the MX-5 is the only one left.  If there is a place to fit a new car, this is it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

VW has lofty goals when it comes to expanding sales.

If they want so free advice i'll be happy to provide.

If you want to sell more cars(around the world and I believe the US was a bigger target), there is one thing they could do.....OFFER MORE CARS.

Sell this here, bring over the scirocco too.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2010, 09:34:06 PM
And you've come to this informed decision by studying the market? 

Sub-30K sports cars are one of the least attended market sectors; as it stands, the MX-5 is the only one left.  If there is a place to fit a new car, this is it. 

It won't be under $30k.

Galaxy

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 10:21:00 PM
It won't be under $30k.

VW claims it will be priced at MX-5 levels. Though I suppose that could mean that a stripped Blue Sport could cost as much as a loaded MX-5.

I hope they don't cheapon away details like the aluminium fluel tank door with city of Wolfsburg's emblem etched into it. It's little things like that which add character to a car imo.

Autobahn

Quote from: Galaxy on March 28, 2010, 08:53:10 AM

I hope they don't cheapon away details like the aluminium fluel tank door with city of Wolfsburg's emblem etched into it. It's little things like that which add character to a car imo.

Agreed. Will the Porsche version have Stuttgart's prancing horse on the fuel tank door? :lol:

AltinD

Quote from: Autobahn on March 28, 2010, 09:47:21 AM
Agreed. Will the Porsche version have Stuttgart's prancing horse on the fuel tank door? :lol:

If you as a Swabian doesn't know, who else will? :lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 10:21:00 PM
It won't be under $30k.

And you've come to this conclusion by sitting in on VW conference calls?  Evo says it'll be GTI money.  I trust them over you. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on March 27, 2010, 04:42:47 PM

A fact that didn't help the Toyota MR-S one bit.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

I happened across this little beauty when perusing Wikipedia a while back.  Apparently it was exclusive to the Brazilian market.  VW should revive it (or something that draws heavily from its styling), and sell it worldwide.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 28, 2010, 07:00:43 PM

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2010, 07:21:26 PM
The MR-2 was also extremely impractical, making it impossible to be used as a daily car for most people, whereas an MX-5 would suffice.  It was ugly as well.  And for most of its life, it didn't offer an automatic transmission.  And, not to mention that the interior was cheap and looked it; the MX-5's was much better.  And when it wasn't an instant success, Toyota abandoned it to sell more boring sedans.  So despite being a better car than the MX-5, it was a sales failure. 

I do hope they sell a gas version of the BlueSport as well.  I will absolutely buy one, if they sell it with a proper manual and don't R32 us.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on March 28, 2010, 06:59:08 PM
And you've come to this conclusion by sitting in on VW conference calls?  Evo says it'll be GTI money.  I trust them over you. 

$25k? Ha ha. I call bullshit.

TurboDan

Quote from: MX793 on March 28, 2010, 07:00:43 PM

People who actually care about the fact that there's a mid-engine layout aren't very likely to buy Toyotas in the first place. VWs are far more palatable.

TurboDan

Quote from: the Teuton on March 28, 2010, 08:35:02 PM
$25k? Ha ha. I call bullshit.

Well, it better be $25K. People are only willing to pay so much for a car, and I'm sure given their recent history VW is well aware of this fact in the U.S. market. Why do you think the Passat is being shit-canned in favor of something cheaper? If they can't build this thing for under $30K they shouldn't bother. Or it'll be doomed to the fate of the 1-Series, a decent car but the manufacturer seriously jumped the shark on pricing.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 27, 2010, 10:08:03 PM
VW has lofty goals when it comes to expanding sales.

If they want so free advice i'll be happy to provide.

If you want to sell more cars(around the world and I believe the US was a bigger target), there is one thing they could do.....OFFER MORE CARS.

Sell this here, bring over the scirocco too.

MORE cars?

Besides the VW range (Golf, Jetta, Passat, Passat CC, Tiguan, Touraeg, that minivan thing), there's the ever expanding Audi (A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, TT, R8, Q5, Q7).  In the rest of the world, there's SEAT and Skoda.  Not forgetting Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti.  VW now has a stake in Suzuki too - what's the betting they'll take it over in full at some point?

I think that's not far off the Toyota/Lexus range in the US in terms of choice, and they do pretty well in sales.  GM proved that more is not necessarily more, and as a fierce GM critic I'm sure you'd agree...

2o6

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 29, 2010, 10:33:39 AM
MORE cars?

Besides the VW range (Golf, Jetta, Passat, Passat CC, Tiguan, Touraeg, that minivan thing), there's the ever expanding Audi (A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, TT, R8, Q5, Q7).  In the rest of the world, there's SEAT and Skoda.  Not forgetting Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti.  VW now has a stake in Suzuki too - what's the betting they'll take it over in full at some point?

I think that's not far off the Toyota/Lexus range in the US in terms of choice, and they do pretty well in sales.  GM proved that more is not necessarily more, and as a fierce GM critic I'm sure you'd agree...

I think he means in the US, where VW's presence us quite limited.