A question about shifting gears...do you have to come to a complete stop?

Started by BENZ BOY15, March 29, 2010, 10:35:09 PM

Colin

I've driven in San Francisco. In fact, it was the very first place where I ever drove a lhd car, in America. Yes, the hills are steep, and they are easier to manage in an automatic, but they would not be a problem in a manual. For me, at least. One of the items in the British driving test is a hill start, and if you let the car roll back even a squillimetre, you fail...... must admit that with the latest craze for electronic handbrakes, that could be a challenge, but with a "proper" set up, you simply need to learn how to balance the car on the clutch and throttle, and then whe the clutch is a biting point, release the handbrake (gently....... and that's the rub with the electronic brakes!).

Back to the original question........... it's a question of mechanical sympathy. Think about what a gearbox does. Now figure whether abruptly switching from forward motion to reverse while the gears are still moving is such a good idea. Not perhaps the best way to prolong the life of the transmission!   

ifcar

Quote from: Colin on March 30, 2010, 08:36:26 AM
I've driven in San Francisco. In fact, it was the very first place where I ever drove a lhd car, in America. Yes, the hills are steep, and they are easier to manage in an automatic, but they would not be a problem in a manual. For me, at least. One of the items in the British driving test is a hill start, and if you let the car roll back even a squillimetre, you fail...... must admit that with the latest craze for electronic handbrakes, that could be a challenge, but with a "proper" set up, you simply need to learn how to balance the car on the clutch and throttle, and then whe the clutch is a biting point, release the handbrake (gently....... and that's the rub with the electronic brakes!).

Back to the original question........... it's a question of mechanical sympathy. Think about what a gearbox does. Now figure whether abruptly switching from forward motion to reverse while the gears are still moving is such a good idea. Not perhaps the best way to prolong the life of the transmission!   

In the only car with an electric handbrake I have extensive experience in -- the latest Subaru Outback -- the brake disengages automatically if you try to accelerate. So that would work well on a steep hill.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: R-inge on March 30, 2010, 07:57:05 AM
It would be a cinch dude, for pros like us.

For starting off on a hill I have occasionally used my handbrake like John.  Seems easier than trying to cover the brakes and roll your toe over, particularly in a situation where you might bump into someone else.

Driving through SF is anxiety provoking for me...in an automatic. It's beautiful, but I hate it. I prefer to be in the passenger seat...:lol:

hotrodalex

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on March 30, 2010, 09:36:16 AM
Driving through SF is anxiety provoking for me...in an automatic. It's beautiful, but I hate it. I prefer to be in the passenger seat...:lol:

Why? You can easily drive an auto. And if you have a little trouble, you can left foot brake at any time.

Driving my El Camino there would be interesting. The parking brake is on the floor, so none of that. And I'm not sure how easily it would be to heel-toe it. If I tried that I would want a good amount of space in front of me, as I might end up hitting the gas hard and taking off.

I'm thinking of installing a line lock. Easy hill starts and of course burnouts. :evildude:

r0tor

bleh... i was on a hill equal to anything in SF.  Stalled the first time.  Reved up to 4k the next try and slipped the clutch and started moving, left out the clutch and the RX8 started bucking trying to go up the hill with my foot flooring it - so I needed to slip the clutch while moving up the hill.

moral of the story, yes the RX8 really doesn't have enough torque to make it up a hill...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

TBR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 30, 2010, 08:27:08 AM
Plus as you start to rev and release the clutch, you can feel it pull on the brake. You know that's when it's safe to release the brake.

That's the ticket.

dazzleman

You really do drive like a ditzy chick, BenzBoy.  Anybody with a Y chromosone ought to know that you always come to a complete stop to shift from reverse to drive or vice versa.  Your dad is right -- you're ruining his transmission by doing that.  Even a non-mechanical guy like me can understand why.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on March 30, 2010, 08:55:37 AM
In the only car with an electric handbrake I have extensive experience in -- the latest Subaru Outback -- the brake disengages automatically if you try to accelerate. So that would work well on a steep hill.

Manually equipped Subarus have a hill-holder feature, so use of the handbrake isn't as necessary as other manual equipped cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Hills like that= lots of clutch burnin

It's the only way

*drops clutch at 6k*

I was scared BenzBoy was driving stick, but I see he's even a danger to an auto transmission. Maybe it will be better for him to go into politics... at least then he can hire a chauffer.

Raza

The transmission should freely enter or exit any gear at any time.  If you can't enter reverse (or park) while on the move from drive, there is something wrong with your car.  Stop driving it immediately and call a tow truck. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21652.msg1298826#msg1298826 date=1269998506
The transmission should freely enter or exit any gear at any time.  If you can't enter reverse (or park) while on the move from drive, there is something wrong with your car.  Stop driving it immediately and call a tow truck. 

Changing gear like that is hard on the transmission.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on March 30, 2010, 07:25:57 PM

Changing gear like that is hard on the transmission.

Actually, it really isn't.

If your transmission can't even do that, there's something seriously wrong with it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on March 29, 2010, 10:35:09 PM
He gets mad over shifting from reverse to drive.  I didn't come to a complete stop and he claims I'm ruining the transmission. It's an automatic and the car is his lovely Pilot.

True or not?

I've been doing just that every day for like over 150,000 miles on my Pathfinder (which has 230,000 miles on it now since I bought it used) and never had a problem.   My entire family have done exactly that since forever (where do you think I learned the habit from?) and NEVER had a transmission failure in probably a half a million+ cumulative miles.  Most of the people I've ridden with do exactly that whether they realize it or not, and they've never had transmission failures (they've come to ask me about all their other car problems though).  Alot of the people I see pulling out of parking spaces do this all the time and automatic transmission failures aren't exactly the mode of death for most cars.  I would tell your dad to chillax.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 30, 2010, 07:35:57 PM
Actually, it really isn't.

If your transmission can't even do that, there's something seriously wrong with it.

But that'll tear up the transmission. (Automatic)

Won't the parking pawl eventually break off!? Won't the reverse gear eventually grind into nothingness? (especially since it's to designed to go backwards, not forwards)

Quote from: 565 on March 30, 2010, 07:45:50 PM
I've been doing just that every day for like over 150,000 miles on my Pathfinder (which has 230,000 miles on it now since I bought it used) and never had a problem.   My entire family have done exactly that since forever (where do you think I learned the habit from?) and NEVER had a transmission failure in probably a half a million+ cumulative miles.  Most of the people I've ridden with do exactly that whether they realize it or not, and they've never had transmission failures (they've come to ask me about all their other car problems though).  Alot of the people I see pulling out of parking spaces do this all the time and automatic transmission failures aren't exactly the mode of death for most cars.  I would tell your dad to chillax.

Don't most later cars have some sort of failsafe to prevent this from happening? (or wearing the tranny)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

I'm smiling at your lack of trust in automotive engineers. Putting it in Reverse is the best way to slow your descent down a steep hill. The torque converter effectively decouples the driveshaft from the driven wheels so there is no risk whatsoever.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on March 30, 2010, 08:05:19 PM
I'm smiling at your lack of trust in automotive engineers. Putting it in Reverse is the best way to slow your descent down a steep hill. The torque converter effectively decouples the driveshaft from the driven wheels so there is no risk whatsoever.

But won't the fluid become viscous? (And do some damage to the components?)

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on March 30, 2010, 08:11:11 PM
But won't the fluid become viscous? (And do some damage to the components?)

No. In fact, it's good for them.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 30, 2010, 08:59:23 PM
When did we ever say you were?

You guys did this to me a few weeks ago when telling me that a broken defrost can blow your engine up.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on March 30, 2010, 09:00:11 PM

You guys did this to me a few weeks ago when telling me that a broken defrost can blow your engine up.

So, Laconian said that shifting into R is the best way to slow yourself down when going down a hill.  You took him seriously.

Seriously, dude?

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 30, 2010, 09:03:31 PM
So, Laconian said that shifting into R is the best way to slow yourself down when going down a hill.  You took him seriously.

Seriously, dude?

I wasn't actually believing him. I was humoring him.

I think.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on March 30, 2010, 09:05:02 PM

I wasn't actually believing him. I was humoring him.

I think.

Well, if you aren't sure, go out for a quick drive and try 'er out!

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 30, 2010, 09:07:25 PM
Well, if you aren't sure, go out for a quick drive and try 'er out!

That's not how things work around here.

Colonel Cadillac

Some of you guys are wussies, can't deal with the manual on a steep hill. Pfft...

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on March 30, 2010, 09:13:08 PM

That's not how things work around here.

Well if you manage to ever shift a car to R while driving forward down a steep hill, let me know.  Let me know if it slows you down, too. :ohyeah: