Scion tC

Started by 2o6, March 31, 2010, 02:51:36 PM

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: MX793 on April 06, 2010, 03:13:47 PM
Toyota doesn't currently offer a turbocharged motor in the US.  To sell one, they'd have to go through the hassle of getting it certified for sale here.  It would also likely be more expensive to make than the current, dime-a-dozen big 4 cylinder they currently use between the added complexity of a turbocharged engine and the fact that this would be the only car they use said motor in, so they don't have a volume benefit.  A 6 cylinder, assuming it even fit, would definitely be more expensive.  Bear in mind that these are budget sport coupes, not serious performance cars.  This car slots in beneath the Civic Si or Mazdaspeed3 in price by several thousand dollars.  It's really more a competitor for the regular Civic coupe (which has only 140 hp) in price.

Big 4s are not uncommon in inexpensive sporty small cars in the US.  Mostly because they are used as the base engines in midsize sedans, so the motors are already being built in large quantities.  The upper trim level of the Mazda3 has a 2.5L I4 rated at something like 170 hp (same engine is found as the base engine in the Ford Fusion and Mazda6, among others, so it's a common powerplant).  The performance-oriented SE-R version of Nissan's Sentra in the US also uses a 2.5L I-4 rated at 200 hp (this is a tuned version of the base engine found in the Nissan Altima, as well as other Nissan models).  The sport model for the Corolla, the XRS, uses a 170 hp 2.4L (will probably get upgraded to the 2.5 for 2011) which was the base engine in the Camry up until recently.

I get that and understand why the manufacturers do it.  I'm just saying in general it's a shame because big 4s don't hold much appeal for enthusiasts, IMO.

As an aside, is it really that hard to get an engine 'certified' in the US?  I don't see why you guys can't have more choice.  The US market is comparable in size to the European market.  I'm sure it would be worth offering some additional options.

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 06, 2010, 03:25:39 PM
I get that and understand why the manufacturers do it.  I'm just saying in general it's a shame because big 4s don't hold much appeal for enthusiasts, IMO.

Why not?

Ask Porsche 968 owners about how they feel about big fours. :lol:

2o6

I do think that 2.5L and 180 HP is a bit pathetic. It's probably quite torquey, though.

93JC

You know what I think is pathetic? Not owning a car.

(<----- owner of a 2.5 L Mazda 3; 167 hp)

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on April 06, 2010, 04:04:06 PM
You know what I think is pathetic? Not owning a car.

(<----- owner of a 2.5 L Mazda 3; 167 hp)

If I get a Neon Coupe, (or a rare DOHC Sedan) my car will have 150HP and 2.0L. You gain 500cc's and only 17 more HP.

But then I'll be stuck with a Neon.  :banghead:

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 06, 2010, 03:25:39 PM

As an aside, is it really that hard to get an engine 'certified' in the US?  I don't see why you guys can't have more choice.  The US market is comparable in size to the European market.  I'm sure it would be worth offering some additional options.

It's probably not that big of a deal for certification, but why spend the money if you don't have to? 

More importantly, the fewer variations of a vehicle you offer, the more cheaply you can produce the vehicle.  That's why more and more manufacturers are shifting towards options packages/bundles rather than letting buyers pick and choose from a large array of stand alone options in the US market.  Want those heated seats?  You'll have to pay a couple of thousand dollars to get a "comfort package" that not only gives you heated seats, but throws in a premium stereo, navigation system, heated mirrors and a power sunroof.  It's also why few vehicles offer more than 2 engine choices these days in America.  And since most cars are FWD, it's very easy to share entire powertrains between several vehicles (even those not on the same platform, like the Mazda3 and Mazda6), further decreasing costs by way of economies of scale.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on April 06, 2010, 04:07:58 PM

If I get a Neon Coupe, (or a rare DOHC Sedan) my car will have 150HP and 2.0L. You gain 500cc's and only 17 more HP.

But then I'll be stuck with a Neon.  :banghead:

Neon's rating was on old SAE.  It might not be rated at 150 since they revised the ratings a few years ago.

And the Neon lag by 17 peak hp, but over the spread, the larger motor is no doubt making a fair bit more.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on April 06, 2010, 04:07:58 PM

So? I still get 17 hp more. And that's just peak; as pointed out above, betcha the torque curve on the Mazda/Ford 2.5 is a lot fatter than the Chrysler 2.0 L DOHC.

QuoteBut then I'll be stuck with a Neon.  :banghead:

:lol:

omicron

I don't imagine insurers like turbocharged cars in the hands of young drivers, either, rightly or wrongly.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: omicron on April 08, 2010, 07:26:04 AM
I don't imagine insurers like turbocharged cars in the hands of young drivers, either, rightly or wrongly.

Especially Jettas.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 08, 2010, 08:58:29 AM
Especially Jettas.

Especially Jettas with turbocharged Boxster engines in the boot. Note engines.

Nethead

Drop in the Tundra V8 and things immediately start looking better...
So many stairs...so little time...