Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on April 03, 2010, 09:06:11 PM
I'm sorry, the correct answer is:

Ya, but when I click on the Captain, he doesn't start licking my screen.

Colin

If you go Merc, you defo do not want a manual:

1. The gearboxes are not very good. Unpleasant gearchanges, all.
2. You get a foot operated parking brake, which is released with the foot. Try doing a reverse hill start - you need three feet. One on the clutch, one on the accelerator and one to release the parking brake.............

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Colin on April 03, 2010, 09:16:13 PM
If you go Merc, you defo do not want a manual:

1. The gearboxes are not very good. Unpleasant gearchanges, all.
2. You get a foot operated parking brake, which is released with the foot. Try doing a reverse hill start - you need three feet. One on the clutch, one on the accelerator and one to release the parking brake.............

1. subjective
2. your problem. use the service brake. try heel-n-toe. do a burnout. omg.

the Teuton

Uh, it's not too hard to put one foot on the brake and one on the e-brake. That's a non-issue.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Yeah, if I were in your shoes, I'd be all over a 135i with the M sport package.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 03, 2010, 09:27:15 PM

If he doesn't need four doors, it'd be the way I'd go...or for a Sexually Transmitted Infection.

But the A4 is elegant. I dunno...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 09:29:29 PM

If he doesn't need four doors, it'd be the way I'd go...or for a Sexually Transmitted Infection.

But the A4 is elegant. I dunno...

I'd go for a 135i before an STI.

I love the A4 (hell, it's the car I drive most often), however. You'll love it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

If I were in his shoes, I'd get a New CTS, or a CPO last gen CTS-V.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 03, 2010, 09:27:15 PM

That was my initial reaction, but the M sport package doesn't have the moonroof. With the premium package and the sport package, you still get the sport seats, sport suspension and leather, plus moonroof, Bluetooth, memory seats, power lumbar support, built in garage opener, and a compass in the mirror.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 09:24:55 PM
Uh, it's not too hard to put one foot on the brake and one on the e-brake. That's a non-issue.

Uh, are you forgetting about the clutch and the gas?

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on April 03, 2010, 10:02:23 PM
Uh, are you forgetting about the clutch and the gas?

1) Foot on brake and e-brake
2) Take foot off e-brake once its disengaged
3) Keep foot on brake
4) Foot on clutch
5) Put car in neutral, turn on car
6) Quickly put right foot on accelerator,

No, a foot e-brake is not a detriment unless you're all about the dorifto.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 10:06:16 PM
3) Keep foot on brake
4) Foot on clutch

And you will roll backwards.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 10:06:16 PM
3) Keep foot on brake
4) Foot on clutch

He was talking about for starting on a hill, and the above makes no sense, anyway. Why is your foot on the parking brake at all, if the other is gonna be on the brakes?

It's good form to put your feet on the brakes and clutch when you start the car, anyway, even if the car will start without the clutch disengaged. Especially the brake.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on April 03, 2010, 10:11:42 PM

Right foot uses gas and brake at the same time. Welcome to driving skills 102.

MexicoCityM3

I?ve driven the A4s - not even close to a 3 series for the enthusiast except for the new S4. But they are nice... for VWs. Pity you don?t want the image - whatever that means. Even Clarkson said all the cocks now drive Audis. I'd take a 328i over a 2.0T A4 any day, not to mention a 135i.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on April 03, 2010, 10:11:42 PM

Yeah, like 2 feet. Drive stick in the 'Burgh, learn control. It's not that tough with a little practice, but being comfortable with stick definitely helps.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2010, 10:14:28 PM
Right foot uses gas and brake at the same time. Welcome to driving skills 102.

Also that.

Colin

You are all missing the point.

Imagine you are parked on a hill, facing downwards. There are cars parked a few feet in front and behind you...... now, to get out of this space with a manual car, with a conventional parking brake is not that difficult. You probably need to reverse a little, then put some lock on, and edge forwards. You may then need to go backwards again, more lock, and gradually you can get out of the space. Trust me, with a foot operated parking brake where you need your foot to release it, it is all but impossible. (If it has a hand release button, it is much easier).

So, start car.
Put right foot on brake, so your left foot can release the parking brake.
Now you can put your foot on the clutch so you can engage gear.
Then you need to move your foot very sharpish to the accelerator pedal, and hope you can release the clutch just enough to allow the car to reverse a little..... too hard and you will hit the car behind you. Not enough and you will not move, or slide forwards.... sliding backwards or forwards an extra few feet, which might be alright on a road (though it is an automatic fail in a British driving test) is no good in this situation.
Now you need to stop, so move foot to foot brake.
Take out of gear, so you can put your foot on the parking brake
Repeat until you are out of the space

Trust me, it can be done, but it is not easy. I had a rented manual Merc C220 CDI in the Castillian towns around Madrid, years ago, and it was a complete nightmare for this alone. I ended up simply avoiding parking on hills... but then found the next hotel had an underground car park, where the space was so tight you had to reverse several times to get the car in and out.

By the way, I've read that some of the SMG boxes such as in the BMW M5 and M6 are not very easy for very low speed manoeuvering, either.   

the Teuton

If you're this worried about parallel parking in a city, don't get a new car -- or get those little bumperettes.

I have a small scrape on one corner of my rear bumper because on-street parking necessitates douchebags part all around me. They've hit my car's rear bumper multiple times. If you're parking on-street, you have no room to complain. If you have a $35k car, you should be able to afford a $1-2k/year parking pass for a lot.

Rupert

Quote from: Colin on April 03, 2010, 10:47:33 PM
You are all missing the point.

Imagine you are parked on a hill, facing downwards. There are cars parked a few feet in front and behind you...... now, to get out of this space with a manual car, with a conventional parking brake is not that difficult. You probably need to reverse a little, then put some lock on, and edge forwards. You may then need to go backwards again, more lock, and gradually you can get out of the space. Trust me, with a foot operated parking brake where you need your foot to release it, it is all but impossible. (If it has a hand release button, it is much easier).

So, start car.
Put right foot on brake, so your left foot can release the parking brake.
Now you can put your foot on the clutch so you can engage gear.
Then you need to move your foot very sharpish to the accelerator pedal, and hope you can release the clutch just enough to allow the car to reverse a little..... too hard and you will hit the car behind you. Not enough and you will not move, or slide forwards.... sliding backwards or forwards an extra few feet, which might be alright on a road (though it is an automatic fail in a British driving test) is no good in this situation.
Now you need to stop, so move foot to foot brake.
Take out of gear, so you can put your foot on the parking brake
Repeat until you are out of the space

Trust me, it can be done, but it is not easy. I had a rented manual Merc C220 CDI in the Castillian towns around Madrid, years ago, and it was a complete nightmare for this alone. I ended up simply avoiding parking on hills... but then found the next hotel had an underground car park, where the space was so tight you had to reverse several times to get the car in and out.

By the way, I've read that some of the SMG boxes such as in the BMW M5 and M6 are not very easy for very low speed manoeuvering, either.   

Dude, we know. We largely drive manuals here, and many of us live in hilly places, where we have to park on hills. We are not speaking out of ignorance, chief.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 10:58:03 PM
If you're this worried about parallel parking in a city, don't get a new car -- or get those little bumperettes.

I have a small scrape on one corner of my rear bumper because on-street parking necessitates douchebags part all around me. They've hit my car's rear bumper multiple times. If you're parking on-street, you have no room to complain. If you have a $35k car, you should be able to afford a $1-2k/year parking pass for a lot.

If you live in a smaller city, it's much less risky to park on the street, as far as scrapes and dents go.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on April 03, 2010, 11:00:36 PM
If you live in a smaller city, it's much less risky to park on the street, as far as scrapes and dents go.

Most definitely. Pittsburgh is a hell hole when it comes to on-street parking.

CJ

I have to say it....Drive an S40 T5M, if you can find one.  They're supposed to be good to drive. 

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on April 03, 2010, 11:14:31 PM
I have to say it....Drive an S40 T5M, if you can find one.  They're supposed to be good to drive. 

The Chinese just killed the manual version for next year, FYI.

CJ

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 11:18:03 PM
The Chinese just killed the manual version for next year, FYI.

Probably because they don't sell that many.  The manual C30 will still be around.