2011 Ford Mustang V6: The Power & the Fuel-Sipping Glory

Started by Morris Minor, April 04, 2010, 03:39:10 PM

Nethead

From www.cars.com:

Shoppers' Choice Award
Millions of shoppers visit Cars.com each month as they search for their next car, truck or SUV. While here, they make contacts with and send leads to dealers, and often review their own cars as well. From all of that activity (and a little online voting), we determine which car best represents the voice of our shoppers.

And the winner is:
Ford Mustang
The American muscle-car classic scored very highly in search and leads to dealers, and got high marks from many of the consumers who reviewed it.

Award Nominees
Cadillac Escalade
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Ford Fusion
Ford Expedition
Ford Mustang
Mazda Mazda6
Nissan Murano
Subaru Impreza
Toyota Prius
So many stairs...so little time...

Nethead

Motor Trend online ran its second comparo of the Mustang V6 and its three V6 imitators to see which one would win the title of "The People's Ponycar".  As MT describes it: "...Our quest was to find the holy grail of the people's ponycar, the one that best combines sport, functionality, and value in a daily driver..."  Soooooo, "...When it comes to the real world, people buy high-content, automatic/V-6 pairings. In this gang, that combo accounts for around 50 percent of each marque's volume (the Genesis is the exception, mostly selling with the far less-expensive turbo 2.0-liter mill)..."

All four had automatic transmissions, which the Nethead here wishes MT had expounded whether these contribute to the "sport", to the "functionality", or to the "value". :huh:

Chevy couldn't (Or is that wouldn't?) provide a Camaro V6 to do battle against the others, so a properly-equipped, properly-serviced rental car with 11,000 on the odo was obtained for the comparo.

The Challenger had the new Pentastar 3.6L V6 and a "Super Sport Pack" handling package.

Hyundai could (Or is that would?) only provide the Track model which competed in the first comparo of these four.

The Mustang was a regulation V6er with the usual interior toys, but no performance upgrades.

Soooooooo, how'd they rank?

4th Place: The Camaro, summed up by MT thus: "If the Camaro can't do either of these tasks well, there's no reason it should take anything above last place."

3rd Place: The Challenger--which MT considers the most improved vehicle in this comparo, now ranking it above the Camaro instead of below it as they did in the initial comparo back in July.

2nd Place: The Genesis. Its quirks would be acceptable in a sub-$15,000 vehicle, but this car was $33,190 as tested--even more than the Challenger!

1st place: The forty-seventh year of continued improvement, development, and refinement is hard to beat--and it can't be matched for the money.  With the new 3.7L V6, the picture is complete--price, performance, value, reliability, resale, comfort, and satisfaction.  Add EcoBoost and the sky's the limit!

GoCougs

:facepalm:

So, the Camaro was a bit quicker and a bit better handler, had a better ride and weight distribution, had more power, had a much lower as-tested price, and had virtually identical braking and MPG, relatively to the Mustang.

The Camaro finished last because, "(T)he biggest omission is the optional navigation system, a feature that every other car in this group has" and because apparently the two tasks that make or brake pony car is driving through a parking lot and using the stereo. I literally LOL'd.

The Camaro is the better performing car than the Mustang in this test. If you disagree you're wrong. Ha, ha. Maybe MY2012 Ford, just maybe.

the Teuton

Why would Ford pay him to troll such a small forum community? Same with atomic and Chrysler.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

mzziaz

Quote from: the Teuton on December 21, 2010, 10:32:00 AM
Why would Ford pay him to troll such a small forum community? Same with atomic and Chrysler.

Or rather, why would GM pay Cougs to troll the forum?
Cuore Sportivo

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on December 21, 2010, 10:32:00 AM

I don't think he's paid and I even suspect he's not really a Ford fan. I just think he's a pro troll and possibly an alter ego of an existing member. In all seriousness, he's pretty good at it. The tenacity is unparalleled in my experience.

Nethead

Quote from: GoCougs on December 21, 2010, 10:38:02 AM
I don't think he's paid and I even suspect he's not really a Ford fan. I just think he's a pro troll and possibly an alter ego of an existing member. In all seriousness, he's pretty good at it. The tenacity is unparalleled in my experience.

Who needs to troll when you're right?  Note that Motor Trend said, and I quote "We learned there are three very good cars here that are as close to a tie as you can get."

I know that went over your head, BlowCougs, so I'll elaborate:  There were four cars in the test.  You with me so far?  The top three are very good cars--the fourth, not so much...

The Nethead here was a bowtie fanboy as a kid.  I grew up, and became an importphile.  I got smart, and became a Ford fan.  The other domestic makes are for those who didn't.

For under $26,000 you can get the performance options for the V6 Mustang that'll kick the V6 Camaro's ass so hard that it bleeds (Under 14 seconds at over 100 MPH, .86 G, with better mileage and re-sale plus lower emissions.  Uhhh, a win-win-win-win-win-win, etc. situation).  But with not even one of those performance options the Mustang won this comparo.  Clearly, you need to read that July Motor Trend comparo yet again.  

You can read, can't you? :confused:
I believe there are some videos with that July comparo that should get you past the literacy challenge well enough...

GoCougs

Ha, ha! Maybe Nethead will look at the stats and read the article before boasting about a "win" or disparaging those that didn't. LOL.

One would think with these continued losses, embarrassments and shellackings Nethead there would be better with his Internetry.

Trolls like Nethead do serve a valuable purpose make no mistake, but sometimes it's painful to watch the self abuse.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 21, 2010, 12:45:47 PM
Ha, ha! Maybe Nethead will look at the stats and read the article before boasting about a "win" or disparaging those that didn't. LOL.

One would think with these continued losses, embarrassments and shellackings Nethead there would be better with his Internetry.

Trolls like Nethead do serve a valuable purpose make no mistake, but sometimes it's painful to watch the self abuse.
Actually Cougs.....you lost.  Give it up Troll.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on December 21, 2010, 01:40:11 PM
Actually Cougs.....you lost.  Give it up Troll.

I'm no Chevy guy, but I gotta say, the article did seem to give a lot of credit to the Camaro - it's a bit odd that it came in dead last. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Submariner on December 21, 2010, 04:06:29 PM
I'm no Chevy guy, but I gotta say, the article did seem to give a lot of credit to the Camaro - it's a bit odd that it came in dead last. 
It's in last place because it's a Chevy. Not matter how good of a product they produce it will be belittled in the mags (especially against a Ford or compitition from overseas) for the most trivial BS. For example we all know everyone hates the seats in all Vettes. OK! GM gives us Recaros in the CTS-V and they still complain. C&D couldn't find anything negative about the CTS-V Coupe so they complained about the sound that the blinkers make.  :nutty: If you guys remember when the Camaro first hit the scene (even tho the lesser performing GT was still picked as the winner) all the mags praised the handling and the feel of the car. Some mags even compared it to the Infinity coupes. Now both Camaros still still outperform or are even in performance with the Mustangs but they still gets shitted on bacause it weighs in a lil heavier than the 'Stang or the 'Stang has Navi (I feel the Camaro should have a true Navi option) and other non performance related BS. The GM bashing is getting as old as the Camaro mullet jokes.  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Note that The Nethead there did not include a link to the article. Thinking about it may have been because the justification was so laughable and he wanted to hide things from the forum - really, no optional nav and because it's hard to drive in parking lots and they don't like the radio? And what of the Camaro being the best overall performer including most notably acceleration (of the three Pony cars) and the cheapest? I quote the summation of the Camaro and its last place finish :

The biggest omission is the optional navigation system, a feature that every other car in this group has. Our rental had a Hertz unit called Neverlost sprouting from the dash, reminding us that a buyer's only recourse rests with the aftermarket.

Commuters spend much of their drive playing with infotainment systems and winding through grocery store parking lots. If the Camaro can't do either of these tasks well, there's no reason it should take anything above last place.

LOL - remember, this is from a magazine that gave the Ford Fusion COTY, despite the fact it was a five-year-old design, SOLELY because it had a hybrid option.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on December 21, 2010, 05:23:08 PM
Note that The Nethead there did not include a link to the article. Thinking about it may have been because the justification was so laughable and he wanted to hide things from the forum - really, no optional nav and because it's hard to drive in parking lots and they don't like the radio? And what of the Camaro being the best overall performer including most notably acceleration (of the three Pony cars) and the cheapest? I quote the summation of the Camaro and its last place finish :

The biggest omission is the optional navigation system, a feature that every other car in this group has. Our rental had a Hertz unit called Neverlost sprouting from the dash, reminding us that a buyer's only recourse rests with the aftermarket.

Commuters spend much of their drive playing with infotainment systems and winding through grocery store parking lots. If the Camaro can't do either of these tasks well, there's no reason it should take anything above last place.

LOL - remember, this is from a magazine that gave the Ford Fusion COTY, despite the fact it was a five-year-old design, SOLELY because it had a hybrid option.

I just read that article. Pure Bullshit! I guess the BOSS Mustang will finish in last place against the competition because it doesn't offer a Navigation/Sync system also?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

I'd point out that the test wasn't to find the best performance or enthusiast's car (which was the point of their previous comparison between these cars).  To quote the article:

"Our quest was to find the holy grail of the people's ponycar, the one that best combines sport, functionality, and value in a daily driver."

None of these cars came equipped with a manual gearbox.  All of them were decked out with luxury goodies like navi.  It was a game where ergonomics, comfort and ease of use were weighted as heavily as, if not moreso, than performance.  The Camaro had the most cramped interior, the smallest trunk (along with the smallest trunk opening), the worst sight-lines, and poor ergonomics when it came to the user interface (button and control placement).  Beyond ride quality, it was well behind the others in the daily driver department and its performance was not heads and shoulders above the others.  Why wouldn't it finish last?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

So basically it was a competition to see which pony car is most like a fully loaded Accord.

GoCougs

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 21, 2010, 05:41:57 PM
I just read that article. Pure Bullshit! I guess the BOSS Mustang will finish in last place against the competition because it doesn't offer a Navigation/Sync system also?

I understand they gotta rank the cars but c'mon - droning on about a small trunk opening and an oddly-shaped steering wheel? C'mon.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 21, 2010, 06:33:10 PM
I'd point out that the test wasn't to find the best performance or enthusiast's car (which was the point of their previous comparison between these cars).  To quote the article:

"Our quest was to find the holy grail of the people's ponycar, the one that best combines sport, functionality, and value in a daily driver."

None of these cars came equipped with a manual gearbox.  All of them were decked out with luxury goodies like navi.  It was a game where ergonomics, comfort and ease of use were weighted as heavily as, if not moreso, than performance.  The Camaro had the most cramped interior, the smallest trunk (along with the smallest trunk opening), the worst sight-lines, and poor ergonomics when it came to the user interface (button and control placement).  Beyond ride quality, it was well behind the others in the daily driver department and its performance was not heads and shoulders above the others.  Why wouldn't it finish last?

I understand that the test wasn't focused solely on performance but they simply didn't like the styling. Enough to place it last? Sure, fine, but let's expect them to be honest. They just should have said, "we hate the styling so we rank it last despite it being way cheaper , the best performer, and offering the best mix of ride and handling."

CJ

I didn't like the way the Camaro SS I drove handled.  Just felt...odd.  The steering wheel was also extremely odd and cumbersome.  Didn't like that.  Considering that's what you're going to be touching the entire time you're driving the vehicle, it's important that your steering wheel be pleasant.  The Camaro's isn't.

SVT666

Quote from: CJ on December 22, 2010, 12:28:17 AM
I didn't like the way the Camaro SS I drove handled.  Just felt...odd.  The steering wheel was also extremely odd and cumbersome.  Didn't like that.  Considering that's what you're going to be touching the entire time you're driving the vehicle, it's important that your steering wheel be pleasant.  The Camaro's isn't.
The Troll will argue with you to death about that...but he hasn't driven it, so.....

Mustangfan2003

Can't say that I've driven the new Camaro but I don't care much for its lego interior.  I rented a 2010 V6 Mustang in Las Vegas and it was really nice, just wished the 2011 was already out. 

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 21, 2010, 07:13:13 PM
So basically it was a competition to see which pony car is most like a fully loaded Accord.

Of course the irony being navigation ain't really used for a commuter/daily driver yet apparently it was a huge factor in this test.

SVT666

I actually have to agree with the Troll that Nav shouldn't matter in any test.  It's a $2500 option and I can buy a TomTom for $99.  

The thing is though, everything that makes the Camaro cool (the styling) is also what's wrong with it.  It is a pain in the ass to see out of, it's big, it has a postage slot for a trunk opening, the interior is not good, and the steering wheel is awful.  I've driven the SS.  I was addicted to the rush real quick, but a 4-way stop was made dangerous for me because I couldn't see a car that was hidden by the A-Pillar/mirror.  When I leaned forward to look around the A-pillar, the rearview mirror (which is in the middle of the windshield) got in the way, and seeing a stoplight is virtually impossible on a road with less than 4 lanes.  It's actually a job to drive the car in city traffic and that's not cool.  If I ever had one, it would be for weekend blasts only, because I would hate driving it every day.

Nethead

Automobile Magazine agrees with Motor Trend, and for lots of the same reasons:

Automobile Magazine names 2011 All-Stars
by Jeff Glucker (RSS feed) on Dec 16th 2010 at 5:33PM

Automobile has compiled a list of the 2011 model year vehicles deserving of all-star recognition. To show off each choice, the buff book has enlisted illustrator Daniel Stolle to turn each vehicle into a child's toy. The list of 2011 Automobile All-Stars features:

BMW 3 Series
Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon
Dodge Ram 1500
Ford Mustang
Honda Odyssey
Hyundai Sonata
Jaguar XJ
Porsche Boxster/Cayman
Volkswagen GTI
Volvo S60
It's hard to argue with that rundown and you can head over to Automobile for more insight into how and why the pub's editors picked this group to be honored.

And here's Automobile Magazine's reasons for choosing the 2011 Mustang over any of the imitations:

FEATURES:  
2011 Automobile Magazine All-Stars

Ford Mustang

Just one year after we gave the 2010 Chevy Camaro an All-Star award, the Ford Mustang brings home the prize for 2011. This is just the latest chapter in the punch-for-punch pony-car battle that has been going on for the better part of forty years. This year's knockout blow came when Ford brought the 5.0-liter V-8 back from the dead, but even Vanilla Ice knows that the new "five point oh" isn't the only engine that the frequently revised Mustang has going for it.

The base 2011 Mustang's very capable, very impressive V-6 makes 305 hp, gets 31 mpg on the highway, and starts at less than $23,000. Although the V-6 is suitable for many buyers, it's the V-8-powered GT and the supercharged Shelby GT500 that get our enthusiast blood pumping. With 412 hp and 550 hp, respectively, it's nearly impossible to keep a big, fat grin off your face-and points off your driving record-when you're behind the wheel of either of these ponies. The GT gallops to 60 mph in just 4.6 seconds-not too shabby for a $30,000 car. The hot-rod GT500 does it about half a second quicker.

Despite all this new performance, the Mustang still uses one of the oldest technologies in the business: a live rear axle. But, honestly, Ford pulls it off just fine. The Mustang's nimble chassis, lighter weight, and close-ratio transmission give it a clear advantage over the heavier, less fluid Camaro on a curvy road. The Ford's cabin is much nicer, too, compared with the unattractive plastics that plague the Camaro.

This pony-car fight is certainly not over, and with the Z28 model on its way, the Chevy Camaro isn't down for the count. But we can definitively say that this round goes to the Mustang and that it is well-deserving of a 2011 Automobile Magazine All-Star award.
- Mike Ofiara, Road Test Coordinator

BASE PRICE RANGE: $22,995-$54,495
ENGINES: 3.7L V-6, 305 hp, 280 lb-ft; 5.0L V-8, 412 hp, 390 lb-ft; 5.4L supercharged V-8, 550 hp, 510 lb-ft.

:pullover: CAUTION:  The Braying Ass has it on good authority (the Etch-A-Sketch he got for Christmas last year) that Automobile Magazine is staffed by professional trolls on the payroll of FoMoCo--as is Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, J.D. Power, the NHTSA, the EPA, yada, yada yada... :pullover:

Submariner

Nethead, surely you see the irony in calling others trolls when your entire existence on these boards is to fap over Ford products even when some of the articles you post are hilariously inept at proclaiming Ford "victory"

That's not to say Ford doesn't have some good products - the Mustang is at least visually, fantastic.  The Super Duty trucks are (from what I have read) best in class, and I strangely like the Transit Connect.  You really need to tone down the fanboyism, though. 

SVT666

Quote from: Submariner on December 22, 2010, 10:08:15 AM
Nethead, surely you see the irony in calling others trolls when your entire existence on these boards is to fap over Ford products even when some of the articles you post are hilariously inept at proclaiming Ford "victory"

That's not to say Ford doesn't have some good products - the Mustang is at least visually, fantastic.  The Super Duty trucks are (from what I have read) best in class, and I strangely like the Transit Connect.  You really need to tone down the fanboyism, though. 
Nethead doesn't call him a troll, he calls him The Braying Ass.  I call him the Troll.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on December 22, 2010, 10:27:37 AM
Nethead doesn't call him a troll, he calls him The Braying Ass.  I call him the Troll.

Ahh, my mistake.   :lol:

GoCougs

What the forum has to realize is that the unprecedented SVT666 and Nethead trolling, sniping, peanut galleryism, hread pollution and general negatively is SOLELY because the Camaro outsells the Mustang, and was otherwise the talk of the automotive year in 2010 (at least earlier in the year). Had this not been the case, their shenanigans, and the correspondingly unrepentant punishment of CarSPIN bytes, would simply not exist.

TL;DR - they's jelly.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on December 22, 2010, 08:11:04 AM
Of course the irony being navigation ain't really used for a commuter/daily driver yet apparently it was a huge factor in this test.

What's worse is that factory satnav is retardedly overpriced.  I got a nav system for my car.  It sits in unused space (so well my friend thought it was integrated) below the dash, doesn't draw attention, and works very well.  $100. 

I'm no Camaro fan (it's okay, but I'd get the Mustang over it 100% of the time), but from what I'm reading it got shafted in this comparison. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on December 22, 2010, 11:01:41 AM
What's worse is that factory satnav is retardedly overpriced.  I got a nav system for my car.  It sits in unused space (so well my friend thought it was integrated) below the dash, doesn't draw attention, and works very well.  $100. 

I'm no Camaro fan (it's okay, but I'd get the Mustang over it 100% of the time), but from what I'm reading it got shafted in this comparison. 

The Droid's navigation is also great - no worries about outdated hardware and it's a freebee app. (The iPhone it's a third party app with a hefty monthly fee.)

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 22, 2010, 01:35:25 AM
Can't say that I've driven the new Camaro but I don't care much for its lego interior.  I rented a 2010 V6 Mustang in Las Vegas and it was really nice, just wished the 2011 was already out. 

You guys are really fussy about interiors.  I drove the Camaro and didn't even notice.  It's not a luxury car.

People want everything and don't want to pay for it. 

"I want a car that weighs 2,000 pounds, is RWD, has a V8, seats four, and has the interior of a Bentley for $9.99!"  :rolleyes:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.