Ford expands EcoBoost offerings, cars to lose weight

Started by SVT666, April 12, 2010, 10:09:22 AM

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 15, 2010, 12:10:04 PM
Bigger engine operates on the exact same principal; the harder you drive it the more gas it consumes.
The funny thing about you is that you don't even realize when you've lost.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on April 15, 2010, 12:12:42 PM
"It" of course being the wholesale importation of an entire car not just an engine. It woulds serve little economic sense to swap out the engine.

something tells me fitting a 3.6L V6 wouldn't be too much more difficult then a 2.8L V6T... but oops, then pretty much all excitement would be lost in the car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on April 15, 2010, 12:58:18 PM
something tells me fitting a 3.6L V6 wouldn't be too much more difficult then a 2.8L V6T... but oops, then pretty much all excitement would be lost in the car

Physically, probably not too difficult ? both engines are derived from same High Feature block. Remember, this car is being imported wholesale ? whether that?s yanking out all the turbo stuff or pushing the car through crash and emissions approval, it?s much quicker and cheaper to leave the car as is if there is no material benefit to swapping engines.

Little if any excitement is lost between a 325 hp 2.8L TV6 and a 312 hp 3.6L N/A V6. (A bit of Googling however shows the GS will not come with the 2.8 TV6.)

2o6

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on April 15, 2010, 01:24:51 PM
Physically, probably not too difficult ? both engines are derived from same High Feature block. Remember, this car is being imported wholesale ? whether that?s yanking out all the turbo stuff or pushing the car through crash and emissions approval, it?s much quicker and cheaper to leave the car as is if there is no material benefit to swapping engines.

Little if any excitement is lost between a 325 hp 2.8L TV6 and a 312 hp 3.6L N/A V6. (A bit of Googling however shows the GS will not come with the 2.8 TV6.)

There currently is no 300+ hp version of the 3.6DI for transversely-mounted, FWD/AWD applications.  The exhaust routing permitted by a longitudinal layout is how they achieve 300+.  The most it makes in any FWD-based application is 288.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on April 15, 2010, 02:53:25 PM
There currently is no 300+ hp version of the 3.6DI for transversely-mounted, FWD/AWD applications.  The exhaust routing permitted by a longitudinal layout is how they achieve 300+.  The most it makes in any FWD-based application is 288.

A 281 hp version is used in the rwd AUS Commodore, Statesman and Caprice; and the Traverse gains only 7 hp between single vs. dual exhaust for the entire length of the vehicle (281 vs. 288 hp).

I?m having real trouble seeing a loss of ~30 hp owed only to restriction in the engine bay; introducing that much backpressure on a stock unmodified engine would wreak havoc. Plus, the Lambda vehicles are pretty darn big ? have a hard time believing there is exhaust manifold/pipe routing issues.

But in looking at the two extremes power ranges of the DI 3.6L, we see significant difference in the peak torque RPM. To me at a minimum I see different ECU tuning and possibly different cams. IMO 1,700 rpm difference in peak torque can?t be owed solely to exhaust restriction, and hence, nether can 31 hp. I see two engines with two purposefully different power bands for two different applications:

Traverse (lat config):
281 hp @ 6,300 rpm
266 lb-ft @ 3,400 rpm

Camaro (long config)
312 hp @ 6,500 rpm
278 lb-ft @ 5,100 rpm

Catman

I actually drove a new Taurus with the regular V6 and it was pretty spirited.  Pretty nice car but the interior was a tad disappointing.  It should be larger.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2010, 11:38:32 PM
Interesting, I thought VG turbos were still big rig fare with retail turbo engines utilizing twin turbos (dual stage) instead.

Big rig turbos typically employ independent cooling and lubrication systems; retail turbo cars this is typically not the case; meaning I imagine turbos can be designed to last much longer but at what cost will the customer stop buying them?

The Duramax uses a single variable vane turbo.  I'm not sure what the Cummins uses.  The PowerStroke does use twin turbos in some versions IIRC.

It's interesting that big rigs use an independent lubrication system, that's pretty cool.

MX793

Turbos in many big rigs are lubricated by the same oil as the rest of the engine.  I know for a fact that's how CAT C12s, C13s, C15s and DD Series 60s are.  CAT's ACERT engines (C12, C13 and C15, among others) also do not use variable vane turbos.  The C13s do use twin turbochargers in series.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Nethead

I hate to so rudely interrupt BlowCougs's "Blah blah blah some bullshit blah blah blah more bullshit blah blah blah even more bullshit blah blah blah yet more bullshit blah blah blah ad nauseum" litany of ignoring reality, but back to expanded EcoBoost offerings, if I may:

At the Beijing Auto Show Ford is displaying a tiny concept car called the "start", or perhaps the "Start"--capitalization, if any, may be an issue here since using a capital "S" may make the badge too big to fit anywhere on the diminutive "start/Start".  It should be called the "Hobbit"--er, "hobbit", if halflings can indeed fit into it...The powerplant is a new EcoBoost direct-injected, turbocharged one-liter three-cylinder producing, of course, the power of a four-cylinder with the economy of a three.  A four-cylinder in this baby bitch would haul ass, so a three-cylinder will help keep the commute more civil & legal and will help keep urbanites from overcrowding municipal jails :lockedup:.  Dildo Baggins, your car has arrived...

"If you want details on how the three-cylinder EcoBoost works you'll have to wait. All Ford's saying is it'll put out four-cylinder power with three-cylinder efficiency via Ford's not-so-secret recipe of direct-injection and turbocharging coupled with a six-speed manual transmission."--or so says the blog.

Of course, the omniscient BlowCougs will enlighten us that this isn't a three-cylinder at all :nono: since that would involve the prohibitive expense of engineering a new engine instead of just adding EcoBoost hardware to an existing Ford three-cylinder :confused:.  Doubtless, it's an EcoBoost 3.5L V6 sawed in half to provide engines for two "starts/Starts".  How damned clever of Ford--not to mention frugal--to save billions by the judicious application of a Sawzall to a V6 engine block :winkguy:!  Soon, Ford will saw the EcoBoost V6 into thirds to create EcoBoost two-cylinder engines (with the power of a triple, naturally) for three motorcycles, and then into sixths to create EcoBoost one-cylinder engines (with the power of a twin, of course) for six skateboards, and finally into twelfths to provide EcoBoost half-cylinder engines to appropriately power the propeller beanies worn by the half-wits who came up with the Zeta Obese chassis.  It don't get more efficient than that :praise:

Addendum:  More details became available today, April 23rd, from www.leftlanenews.com:

Ford confirms production intent for 1.0-liter EcoBoost in near future
04/23/2010, 6:19 AM By Mark Kleis

Joe Hinrichs, president of Ford Asia Pacific and Africa (APA), has confirmed at the Beijing Auto Show that the all-new three-cylinder, 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine found in the Start Concept is bound for volume production in the near future.

Wasting little time from its world debut, a Ford executive has now confirmed production intent for the diminutive EcoBoost engine found in the all-new Ford Start Concept vehicle.

In the Start Concept, the 1.0-liter EcoBoost is paired with a six-speed manual transmission, but in production form the EcoBoost will likely also be available with the six-speed dual-clutch dry transmission, dubbed Powershift, which makes its debut in the 2011 Ford Fiesta.

Inside sources have also confirmed to Leftlane that the smallest EcoBoost offering yet will likely boast EPA fuel economy ratings a few miles per gallon higher than the naturally aspirated 1.6-liter four-cylinder found in the Ford Fiesta, which is rated at 30 city, and as high as 40 highway mpg.

Ford has yet to divulge specific power ratings or fuel economy figures for its recently introduced 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine, but the automaker did say the EcoBoost engine will have power output similar to the 1.6-liter four-cylinder in the Fiesta. The U.S.-spec Fiesta?s engine was recently certified at 120 horsepower and 112 lb-ft of torque.

Ford has not confirmed production intent for the Start Concept, or which vehicle(s) may have the 1.0-liter EcoBoost available, but Leftlane?s sources have suggested that the Fiesta will very likely have the smallest EcoBoost engine yet on its option list in the not-so-distant future.
So many stairs...so little time...

Northlands

I came back into the thread specifically to see if the fight was still going on.

Carry on gents. 

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Northlands on April 22, 2010, 05:19:57 PM
I came back into the thread specifically to see if the fight was still going on.

Carry on gents. 

ha

In other news I think I'll ride my bike to "Physical Training" in the morning. It's about 2.5miles or so, need to be there at 5:15am. Traffic is tiny at that time.
Will

SVT666

Ford announced a 1.0L 3 cylinder EcoBoost motor that will deliver roughly the same power as the 1.8L 4 banger that has 120 hp and 112 lbs-ft of torque.