**CKED My Car Up Last Night :facepalm:

Started by Colonel Cadillac, April 12, 2010, 01:54:35 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on April 18, 2010, 09:39:19 AM
There's no fun in being the devil's advocate on this forum at all.

:lol:
Dude, you have to do it in a way that makes sense.

Besides, Cougs is often the one playing the devil's advocate role.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hotrodalex

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 17, 2010, 10:18:38 PM
That's not the point. I have no idea whether or not Cougs is right (as I clearly stated in my last post). My point is that you tried to disprove an averaged statistic with a single example.

And to be honest, I actually think his reasoning makes some sort of sense in this particular instance. You, in particular, don't really fit into his stereotype because you're poor from being a college student. You don't have, as he described, "the very same irresponsible/lack-of-discipline mindset that prevails amongst the poor."

:hesaid:

And this thread should probably be hidden from anyone thinking about joining this forum. It doesn't show the brightest side of people, that's for sure.  :facepalm:

GoCougs

In that you are 100% wrong. It's a fine art, and a good balance can be tough, but it's good times if you do it right.

Submariner

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 18, 2010, 12:21:39 AM

You try the case: "yeah, well, he said 'really thinking about murdering my husband', doesn't that count for somethin? He didn't come around or nothing, but he said he was thinking 'bout it." :rolleyes:

And I thought you'd be on the other side of things, believing "intent" is just some gob'ment bullshit...

Changing the story can also be called called perjury.   ;)

Anyways, in the grand scheme of things, your fender-bender is quite irrelevant.  What you do or don't do with your parents money is your business, and not ours.  Saying things like that though, intoxicated or not, can leave a sour taste in ones mouth - have you ever heard that liquor sometimes brings out the otherwise sealed thought's of others?

And I'm not suite sure what the government has to do with this?  :huh:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 18, 2010, 06:51:23 AM
BULL.
Only one has ever asked me my job- USAA allows only servicemembers (current or prior) or their families in. I've never been asked my education either.

I think every time I put a quote in for insurance, it's asked me for my education level.  I don't recall the job being in question though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Nationwide has never cared about either.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

You actually have to bring up a valid point to be the devil's advocate.

I assign 3 :facepalm:'s to you for this thread.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

For my insurance company, some professions are good; teachers for example. Some are a wash, such as engineers. Some are a detriment, such as doctors. If one is 18 or under and a student, a B average nets you 25% savings.

My company uses an alphabetic rating; I'm top tier on credit and education, and a wash for career, but I still qualify for the biggest discount. If you ask your agent, he should be able to tell you where you fall.

Colin

In the UK, occupation is a major rating factor. I do know that the factors that are typically used in the US and those in UK are surprisingly different. Postcode (Zipcode) is probably the most important factor after the type of car and driving record, yet in some US States, it is illegal to discriminate on this basis....  (I know, the CIO of Farmers Insurance told me this as a fact, before anyone tries to tell me otherwise). Credit history does not matter to a UK insurance co, but it can matter in the US....... and so on.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on April 19, 2010, 01:27:20 PM
For my insurance company, some professions are good; teachers for example. Some are a wash, such as engineers. Some are a detriment, such as doctors.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly does that work?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on April 19, 2010, 01:27:20 PM
For my insurance company, some professions are good; teachers for example. Some are a wash, such as engineers. Some are a detriment, such as doctors. If one is 18 or under and a student, a B average nets you 25% savings.

My company uses an alphabetic rating; I'm top tier on credit and education, and a wash for career, but I still qualify for the biggest discount. If you ask your agent, he should be able to tell you where you fall.

Do they take race into account?

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 19, 2010, 07:26:07 PM
Do they take race into account?

Are you suggesting he's not telling the truth?  He's right, actually.  A lot of insurance companies do take occupation into account because statistically, certain occupations have lower claims than others.  They charge different rates based on occupation sometimes, credit history, even the neighborhood where you live.

And to answer your question, though it clearly wasn't asked seriously, no they don't take race into account, at least not directly.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on April 19, 2010, 07:30:32 PM
Are you suggesting he's not telling the truth?  He's right, actually.  A lot of insurance companies do take occupation into account because statistically, certain occupations have lower claims than others.  They charge different rates based on occupation sometimes, credit history, even the neighborhood where you live.

And to answer your question, though it clearly wasn't asked seriously, no they don't take race into account, at least not directly.

No, I know he's right.

I think it's interesting how they take everything else into account except for race.

Laconian

I think it's interesting that doctors are high risk. Are their brains just packed so full of medical trivia that the driving part gets pushed out?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on April 19, 2010, 07:40:46 PM
I think it's interesting that doctors are high risk. Are their brains just packed so full of medical trivia that the driving part gets pushed out?

Doctors have a high accident rate, statistically.  I have no idea why.

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 19, 2010, 07:38:34 PM
No, I know he's right.

I think it's interesting how they take everything else into account except for race.

They can't take race into account under the law, most likely.

However, if you live in a predominantly black neighborhood, you will pay more for insurance.  Bet on it.

Tave

Quote from: dazzleman on April 19, 2010, 07:42:38 PM
Doctors have a high accident rate, statistically.  I have no idea why.

If they're anything like my doctor, their garages are full of fast cars and they drive like absolute maniacs.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on April 19, 2010, 08:14:47 PM
If they're anything like my doctor, their garages are full of fast cars and they drive like absolute maniacs.

And they have poor penmanship.  :nono:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colin

Quote from: dazzleman on April 19, 2010, 07:43:17 PM
They can't take race into account under the law, most likely.

However, if you live in a predominantly black neighborhood, you will pay more for insurance.  Bet on it.
In Europe, that would be illegal under Race Discrimination laws.

There was a recent debate on one of the Insurance threads about whether it is contrary to Sex Discrimination laws to take gender into account....... the reality is that there are different risks associated with male and female at certain ages. Young female drivers tend to have more claims, but they are lower value (bumping into things) whereas young males tend to have spectacular accidents involving total loss and bodily injury.......... so gender is a rating factor. 

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 19, 2010, 04:54:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, how exactly does that work?

Statistics I'm sure. Each state has a state commissioner that regulates insurance company rates; part of that duty is the insurance companies have to justify how they charge customers. Not that I agree with the state having such control, but in the least there is the pretense of oversight.

GoCougs

Quote from: Colin on April 19, 2010, 11:48:44 PM
In Europe, that would be illegal under Race Discrimination laws.

There was a recent debate on one of the Insurance threads about whether it is contrary to Sex Discrimination laws to take gender into account....... the reality is that there are different risks associated with male and female at certain ages. Young female drivers tend to have more claims, but they are lower value (bumping into things) whereas young males tend to have spectacular accidents involving total loss and bodily injury.......... so gender is a rating factor. 

In the US it is tracked by zip (postal) code. All else equal a person will pay more in a big city than the suburbs or a rural town; and some zip codes are notoriously expensive owing to fraud, theft and vandalism.

Here too young males pay far more than young females for car insurance (for as you note, well-known and obvious reasons).