The agressive moron..

Started by VTEC_Inside, April 12, 2010, 06:56:17 PM

VTEC_Inside

Most people on the roads are what I would term the passive idiot type. Too nonchalant about driving to even notice that they are breaking the simplest rules that would otherwise keep traffic flowing smoothly.

Today marked another personal encounter with one of the aggressive idiot type.

It began when I merged in front of said idiot coming onto the highway. Signaling as always, I really had no where to go as the passive idiot in front of me had failed to get up to an appropriate speed to merge more safely. That said, there was plenty of room as I pulled in front of him and got honked at. As soon as possible I was over in the left lane and the fucktard in his Daewoo was nothing but a distant memory in my rear view as I was finally able to open it up.

The next 5min I did my typical weaving around slow pokes in the left lane. Aggressive? Sure, but not cutting anyone off, and always signaling my lane changes.

Upon exiting that highway I heard tires lock up somewhere in my vicinity. Mr Daewoo was back and just about clipping my right side, "great"... He had to have dive bombed someone else bad because there were two cars behind me as I exited. I was content to let him follow me until he got it out of his system, but he was being a bit reckless, weaving and riding my ass. So whatever, I let him pass me as I prepared for the inevitable brake check. Now hes holding me up (and everyone else) at about 20kph below the limit. I waited until the last second to take an off ramp hoping to be through with the tool but he cut across three lanes after me.

Fortunately he was content to carry on his business after cutting me off one final time. I pulled a u-turn in a side street and carried on home.

I think I handled it ok. I mean there was no way the Daewoo would have kept up if I hadn't let him.

Anyone else had one of these?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Tave

Honestly?

In all my years of driving, I've never pissed someone off badly enough that he followed me and tried to retaliate. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Tave on April 12, 2010, 07:00:56 PM
Honestly?

In all my years of driving, I've never pissed someone off badly enough that he followed me and tried to retaliate. :huh:

That's the thing. I could accept it if I had actually done something to piss the guy off, but as far as I know, I was about as courteous as possible when I merged. There was simply no where else to go, and there was room.

GoCougs

I've had two confrontations this week alone. At the end of the day, some people pieces of subhuman garbage (PoSHG) just feed off of confrontation. Their lives are so miserable their only validation is bullying and terrorizing people on the open road. They'd serve the gene pool and society in general if they caught a bullet or better yet died screaming from a horrifically painful, chronic disease.

I've actually become pretty good at spotting the trouble makers and what sets them off; in my experience the two main groups are cars typically driven by kids (riced-out POS, and Jettas and the like), and modified pickups and SUVs. Any displace of acceleration, any intrusion on "their" space and any reaction to their driving or their actions and I know I've got a 50/50 chance of some sort of confrontation on my hands

At the end of it all, it's best to ignore them and otherwise not stoop to their level. Extremely hard I know, and though I have yet to have a physical confrontation (been close a few times) both would likely be in a heap of trouble if there's a fight or an accident. Plus, you never know if you'll get that one PoSHG who has a knife or a gun.

VTEC_Inside

It kinda makes me feel a little better than I'm not the only one that has encountered one of these tools.

giant_mtb

One time, I was trying to merge and some douche didn't let me in.  I had to slam on the brakes to get behind him, and then proceeded to honk at him and go by him quickly in the left lane.  Fortunately at the light a couple miles down the road, he ended up right next to me.  Rolled his window down and started yelling things like "what, what now?! You wanna get out?! C'mon pussy!"

To be honest, I was scared.  But, he was driving a Protege.  So I took off from the light quickly and defeated his lawnmower engine.

TurboDan

There was a guy on the Garden State Parkway who was also a slow merger. I got into the left lane and passed him, and he apparently wasn't too happy. When it was time for me to get off at the next exit, he purposely sped up and slowed back down as to not allow me to return to the right lane. This is a highway where everyone is going 80 and this pile of shit of a man is playing games. Finally, I make sure no one is behind me and slam the brakes pretty good and am able to get behind him. I shake my head and just say "Fuck You" and evidently he was looking in his mirror and read my lips. He instantly goes out of his mind and now is motioning for me to pull over to the side of the highway so we can engage in what I assume to be a fist fight.

I got off the next exit and denied him the opportunity to have the shit beat out of him.

GoCougs

Actually, I run into a PoSHG about once a month. Like any red-blooded American I used to play along and otherwise not put up with their BS, but in the end it's just asking for major major trouble on all sorts of levels. Could even result in an innocent person getting injured or killed. The frustration with having to take ignore/take it is a lot better I've found. And it usually is over much quicker. Sometimes I can't help myself and do respond but I don't take it very far.

giant_mtb

Quote from: TurboDan on April 12, 2010, 08:08:17 PM
There was a guy on the Garden State Parkway who was also a slow merger. I got into the left lane and passed him, and he apparently wasn't too happy. When it was time for me to get off at the next exit, he purposely sped up and slowed back down as to not allow me to return to the right lane. This is a highway where everyone is going 80 and this pile of shit of a man is playing games. Finally, I make sure no one is behind me and slam the brakes pretty good and am able to get behind him. I shake my head and just say "Fuck You" and evidently he was looking in his mirror and read my lips. He instantly goes out of his mind and now is motioning for me to pull over to the side of the highway so we can engage in what I assume to be a fist fight.

I got off the next exit and denied him the opportunity to have the shit beat out of him.

:mask:

Road ragers like that are almost incentive for me to get a concealed weapons permit to keep a little pistol handy in the glovebox.  Not that I would EVER use it, but I think brandishing a gun alone in a tense situation like that would be deterrent enough...assuming they aren't carrying as well and decide to take their rage out in bullets.

:mask: :mask:

Raza

Honestly?

I've had it happen to me several times, including one where someone tried to run me off the road because I was stuck behind someone else and made a hand gesture showing him that (literally, I did a full hand point, nothing aggressive, to the car in front of me that he could clearly see because I was in the Boxster top down and he was in an M45).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Phantom

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2010, 08:02:47 PM
One time, I was trying to merge and some douche didn't let me in.  I had to slam on the brakes to get behind him, and then proceeded to honk at him and go by him quickly in the left lane.  Fortunately at the light a couple miles down the road, he ended up right next to me.  Rolled his window down and started yelling things like "what, what now?! You wanna get out?! C'mon pussy!"

To be honest, I was scared.  But, he was driving a Protege.  So I took off from the light quickly and defeated his lawnmower engine.

I guarandamntee you that if you would've gotten out and walked up to his window, he would've just talked shit and driven off when the light changed.  Those people are actually funny.

A former co-worker and I were driving home in the box truck one day, when he accidentally cut somebody off during his lane change to exit (two highways come into one, six lanes turn to four, with the three right lanes exiting).  The guy followed us off the highway and when we got to a stop, he looked up at us with this "menacing" look.  I just looked at him and smiled, giving him the, "I don't know!" shoulder shrug.  It was either that, or maybe getting shot.  He turned at the light and that was it.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2010, 08:13:29 PM

Road ragers like that are almost incentive for me to get a concealed weapons permit to keep a little pistol handy in the glovebox.  Not that I would EVER use it, but I think brandishing a gun alone in a tense situation like that would be deterrent enough...assuming they aren't carrying as well and decide to take their rage out in bullets.

Which would most likely get you reported to the police and a corresponding arrest/conviction for brandishing, and even possibly get you (legally) shot should the other driver also be carrying.

S204STi

Last week I had a Saturn full of kids who had a beef with me because I honked at their clueless driver for not making a right turn on green (go figure), so once I got past them on the four-lane highway they spent the rest of the trip trying pretty aggressively to get around me.  Each time they were foiled by the flow of traffic alone; it was pretty funny getting one up without even trying. :praise:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Honestly?

Ditto.

Except for the time my dumbass friend in the front seat antagonized the SUV driver next to me and I had to do bit of tricky driving to get him off me, but that doesn't count. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on April 12, 2010, 07:50:22 PM
It kinda makes me feel a little better than I'm not the only one that has encountered one of these tools.

I encounter them rarely, but it has happened.

Another thing I hate is the type of person who indirectly triggered this -- the person who blocks you in the acceleration lane and fails to get up to highway speed.  That drives me nuts.  What the fuck do they think the acceleration lane is for?  So they can drive 30 mph and then merge into cars going twice that speed?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Meh when I encounter these maniacs, i just let them go ahead and hope they fucking get t-boned by a tractor trailer. Well not exactly the second part, but I don't bother keeping up with them. They wanna fucking go nuts, then they're more than welcomed to. Last time a damn ranger was honking and flashing at me from behind for NO reason, I just pulled over and they sped by.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 16, 2010, 11:07:22 PM
Meh when I encounter these maniacs, i just let them go ahead and hope they fucking get t-boned by a tractor trailer. Well not exactly the second part, but I don't bother keeping up with them. They wanna fucking go nuts, then they're more than welcomed to. Last time a damn ranger was honking and flashing at me from behind for NO reason, I just pulled over and they sped by.

That's what I generally do.  I never want assholes like that behind me.  But James was talking about a guy who didn't want merely to pass, but who went out of his way to threaten him and harass him.

I can only recall a couple of major incidents in my years of driving.  Once, not long after I got my license, I went to this crappy, low-end shopping center in Yonkers, NY (I wasn't as much of a snob back then; I'd never go near that place today) and some guy cut me off, tried to block my car in, and then got out and came to open my car door.  I threw the car in reverse and went around him.  I could have run him right down and not given a shit.

More recently, I was driving home from Myrtle Beach and I wanted to pass a particular car.  This guy did everything in his power to keep me from passing him, even though there was no reason not to let me pass.

I really dislike people who drive like that.  Most people are just crappy drivers, some less offensive than others, and some more.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Submariner

I was once followed by a PoSHG (Thanks Cougs...that's a good one) once in his riced out 93' Accord.  Evidently, he didn't like how I was driving the speed limit, and repeatedly flashed lights and beeped his horn.  Clearly not a resident of my town, I knew he was following me as I drove down two side streets and back out to the main road.  Unsure of whether it was a call the police situation, I pulled into the busy town square, and parked.  He came up right behind me, closing me in my space.  I got out, ready to draw, when I noticed a police officer 50 yards behind the thug.  He must have noticed the situation, because as soon as I noticed him, he was yelling "you, turn around"  to the man approaching me. 

It turns out the PoSHG was wanted on drug charges in his city, and was arrested shortly after - he had a 8 inch knife on him, BTW.

Though I never have had an encounter similar to that since (aside from the occasional miserable driver cutting me off, etc) I wont get out of my car unless I can do in a police station.  The only reason why I did in the first place was so not to be confined if (as he did) approached.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

S204STi

Good thing you were packing.  That reminds me I need to sign up for that concealed carry class...

Submariner

Quote from: R-inge on April 17, 2010, 05:49:13 PM
Good thing you were packing.  That reminds me I need to sign up for that concealed carry class...

The story was hushed up by our towns newspaper - any word of a black man in town with a knife might cause a mass exodus of the white dental/lawyer/rich people class.  Then again, I'm glad it was.  I had no desire for any of that wretched affair to be known to anyone. 

He was a scary looking man, no doubt, but I'm fairly sure my reaching under my shirt registered quite quickly with him - at least his eyes told me so.  It was over in a few seconds though - the officer was over in a few seconds and had the PoSHG on the ground and in cuffs.  My girlfriend was fairly shaken up, and although I played the tough guy on the outside, so was I.

When I would drive with my dad, he would always tell me if I were in a situation like that, never to get out of the car, and instead call the police.  Thinking that course of action was too drastic, I decided to try and diffuse the situation by driving to a public area and scaring him away via the midday soccer mom mania at the shops (or as some spell it, shoppes  :rolleyes:) Clearly, the man was an animal and I have no doubt that if it weren't for the cop, or my actions, he would have stabbed myself and very likely my girlfriend.  Though there is a reason why I passionately believe in 2nd amendment rights, I do believe I will take the safe route and call the police if my gut ever tells me to do so again. 

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2010, 08:13:29 PM

Road ragers like that are almost incentive for me to get a concealed weapons permit to keep a little pistol handy in the glovebox.  Not that I would EVER use it, but I think brandishing a gun alone in a tense situation like that would be deterrent enough...assuming they aren't carrying as well and decide to take their rage out in bullets.

I understand where you're coming from, but IMO it's best never to use a weapon unless it's an absolute last resort.  The only reason I intended to at least produce mine was because I (foolishly) parked in a spot with cars all around, and he blocked me in.  when I looked in my rear view mirror and saw he was getting out of his car, I knew that my girlfriend and myself were sitting targets and I had to take proactive action to put an end to the situation.  

I'm not even sure he saw it.  I had my hand on it, but I'm fairly sure my shirt was concealing it.  It didn't matter though.  He knew what was coming and he had no chance of beating me.

But like I said, don't get in the mindset that a weapon is a good deterrent in a situation like that.  If another motorist saw you brandishing a pistol, it is very likely that you could be reported, and face a great deal of pain from the 20 or so LEO's rushing to respond to a "crazy man driving with a gun"

Ultimately, the best defense against miserable PoSHG (God Cougs, that's a good one) is to simply ignore their tactics.  Someone yell's "fuck you, cunt!" at you?  Drive away and pay the lowlife no attention.  If someone cuts you off, do your best to keep on driving and do not engage the filth.  Unless your physical self is threatened, it's always better to let those leading lives of emotional squalor to have their minute or so of personal stardom, then get on with their own menial affairs. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on April 17, 2010, 07:45:42 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but IMO it's best never to use a weapon unless it's an absolute last resort.  The only reason I intended to at least produce mine was because I (foolishly) parked in a spot with cars all around, and he blocked me in.  when I looked in my rear view mirror and saw he was getting out of his car, I knew that I and my girlfriend were sitting targets and had to take proactive action to put an end to the situation. 

I'm not even sure he saw it.  I had my hand on it, but I'm fairly sure my shirt was concealing it.  It didn't matter though.  He knew what was coming and he had no chance of beating it.

But like I said, don't get in the mindset that a weapon is a good deterrent in a situation like that.  If another motorist saw you brandishing a pistol, it is very likely that you could be reported, and face a great deal of pain from the 20 or so LEO's rushing to respond to a "crazy man driving with a gun"

Of course.  Things like guns should only be a last resort, as you mentioned.  In your situation, for instance.  Or like that one video on YouTube where some rednecks in a truck followed some bro in a Bimmer for a while and he led them down a secluded road and whipped out his pistol. :lol:

Rupert

Don't pack it if you don't think you can use it.

If the other person also has a gun, your threat is suddenly much less, and you're either gonna get shot, or shoot.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

J86

Not to mention if you shoot first, you're the deadly aggressor and have fun with that...

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on April 18, 2010, 06:49:31 AM
Not to mention if you shoot first, you're the deadly aggressor and have fun with that...

Well, I would imagine that if you could prove you shot first in self defense and were not the aggressor in the conflict, that would be a lot different than an aggressor shooting first.

Zach was really lucky in his case.  And his statements about the media confirm the worst that I already know -- how they manipulate and withhold news that they should be reporting in order to advance a certain political agenda.

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on April 18, 2010, 08:06:13 AM
Well, I would imagine that if you could prove you shot first in self defense and were not the aggressor in the conflict, that would be a lot different than an aggressor shooting first.

Zach was really lucky in his case.  And his statements about the media confirm the worst that I already know -- how they manipulate and withhold news that they should be reporting in order to advance a certain political agenda.

From my limited reading of criminal law, if you're shooting first, you're going to have a veeeeeery difficult, if not impossible sell that you were justified in doing so, barring the other guy actually trying to knife you.  Even then, in some jurisdictions...

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on April 18, 2010, 08:19:26 AM
From my limited reading of criminal law, if you're shooting first, you're going to have a veeeeeery difficult, if not impossible sell that you were justified in doing so, barring the other guy actually trying to knife you.  Even then, in some jurisdictions...

Better to be judged by 12 than killed by a bullet.

If I thought some fucking thug was imminently going to shoot me, I'd have no hesitation about blowing his head off.

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on April 18, 2010, 08:20:57 AM
If I thought some fucking thug was imminently going to shoot me, I'd have no hesitation about blowing his head off.

Sure, but now you're changing the facts from the original hypo.  :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on April 18, 2010, 08:21:57 AM
Sure, but now you're changing the facts from the original hypo.  :lol:

I don't remember the original hypo.

I don't even carry a gun and I'm a terrible shot.  So any thought of me blowing somebody's head off is also purely hypothetical.

But I have a cold streak in me, whereby once a person crosses a certain line in his behavior, I no longer regard the person as deserving of basic human consideration.  The death of such a person would bother me no more than crushing a fly.  I would put anybody who pointed a gun at me or tried to harm me (or anybody else) without legitimate provocation squarely into that category.