Consumer Reports warns against buying Lexus GX SUV

Started by FoMoJo, April 13, 2010, 05:21:37 AM

Speed_Racer

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 13, 2010, 06:49:09 PM
Judging by the videos of the test, it seems almost as if the stability control (anti-yaw) is acting to create the skid.

It was a sick drift.

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 14, 2010, 06:26:10 AM
They stayed the heck out of them.
On the sunvisor of my dad's (older) Cherokee there are big big warnings about the fact that it will tip easier than a regular car. Yellow and black warnings. 

I wish the SUV craze would go away, but I doubt it will.
(it makes it harder to see traffic with all those excessively tall trucks.)

You just need to buy a taller truck so you can see over the other cars in traffic.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Galaxy

Quote from: Catman on April 19, 2010, 03:30:25 PM
Update on the stability control?

Yes.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx

I am surprised that their QC missed something as obvious as a stability control system not working.

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on April 20, 2010, 05:28:11 AM
Yes.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx

I am surprised that their QC missed something as obvious as a stability control system not working.

To be fair, it's stability control not working in one particular case. But yes, it does seem that everyone else caught it for their SUVs.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on April 13, 2010, 08:30:17 AM
So, by extension a vehicle that doesn't have any stability control is dangerous? It may not intervene as soon as other stability control systems but CR is over reacting by calling this "unsafe" and otherwise showing its colors to be the exceedingly mediocre publication it has always been when it comes to car tech.

I agree.  This smells a lot like the Suzuki Samurai incident from years back (of which my knowledge is all third hand, I admit), and perhaps a bit of a ploy for CR's circulation numbers.

"Toyota has more problems!  Read more inside!"

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on April 20, 2010, 06:54:07 AM
To be fair, it's stability control not working in one particular case. But yes, it does seem that everyone else caught it for their SUVs.

The emergency avoidance test is a pretty routine test though, which is why I find it so surprising.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 13, 2010, 08:30:17 AM
So, by extension a vehicle that doesn't have any stability control is dangerous? It may not intervene as soon as other stability control systems but CR is over reacting by calling this "unsafe" and otherwise showing its colors to be the exceedingly mediocre publication it has always been when it comes to car tech.

If the boat has no lifevests then you know that you better be able to swim if you want to survive a capsizing. If however the boat does have lifevests then one should be able to expect that they will keep you're head above water.

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 14, 2010, 03:56:16 AM
Toyota has suspended sales in the US of the Lexus GX.

After the unintended acceleration issues, they pretty much have to at this point, don't they?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21769.msg1311236#msg1311236 date=1271768745
After the unintended acceleration issues, they pretty much have to at this point, don't they?

After the allegations of trying to hide the acceleration issues and evading responsibility, Toyota would be insane not to act swiftly and decisively on this problem.

Galaxy

The Citroen Nemo, and the Peugeot Bipper Tepee also tip over. The sister van Fiat Qubo has ESP.

http://www.focus.de/auto/news/adac-crashtest-hochdachkombis-kippen-beim-ausweichen_aid_502198.html

Well at least the roof structure is sound.

Btw, my original thread in Mainstreams about these cars seems to have deleted itself.

2o6

Didn't the Citroen Berlingo do a very funky looking skiing dance in this test?+

r0tor

It saddens me that the ability to do a sweet drift is "dangerous" to the point of needing an immediate stoppage of sales... God I don't want to find out how overerly aggressive all DSC systems will now be tuned by all manufacturers

:facepalm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed