Parents want a new car!

Started by SVT_Power, April 20, 2010, 07:53:33 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 20, 2010, 09:04:50 PM
Wait, comfy+luxo?

C-Class anyone?

:wub: but even a C300 Auto is more than $35k without any other options.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Subaru Legacy.

It's built in Indiana, so it ain't Japanese. :tounge:

the Teuton

Sonata Limited...or when does the terbow come out? :wub:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 20, 2010, 09:16:04 PM
:wub: but even a C300 Auto is more than $35k without any other options.

CPO FTW

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Why are you all being so ostentatious? BTW, what is this car effectively replacing?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2010, 09:46:18 PM
Why are you all being so ostentatious? BTW, what is this car effectively replacing?

This is replacing the explorer.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Jon?

I rode in a Taurus Limited the other day.  Very nice car.  Tons of room.  Huge trunk.  And you can get it in AWD if necessary.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Byteme

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 08:47:12 PM
You ever sit in the CC? I adjusted the seat to where I felt comfortable, and when I tried to get out I banged my head on the roof

I'm assuming you bang your head into things a lot then.
:lol:

The CC probably has the best seats of all the VWs.  I loved my B5's seats (my Jetta doesn't have as much lumbar support), but I know a guy who jumped out of a Viggen into a CC and he loves the seats. 

I think the standard Passat would make more sense than the CC, but that's up to your parents to decide.  And, if I'm being completely honest, I think the standard Passat looks better, despite being less stylish (and being available with a real sunroof instead of the non-opening panoramic glass that the CC has is a definite plus in my book). 

But, the LaCrosse was the first car that came to mind. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

WookieOnRitalin

Since my other post got put in the other thread.

Sedan:
-Loaded Jetta TDI
-Loaded Sonata
-Loaded Malibu
-New Buick Regal (Available summer)

SUV:
-Sorento
-Equinox
-Tiguan
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Jon?

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on April 21, 2010, 09:12:40 AM
Since my other post got put in the other thread.

Sedan:
-Loaded Jetta
-Loaded Sonata
-Loaded Malibu
-New Buick Regal (Available summer)
-New Taurus
-New Lacrosse

I'd add those two as well.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

SVT_Power

Went to a load of dealerships today.

CPO BMW is out - I cannot stand BMW sales people. Yeah I'm only 20, but you wanna ignore me when I step into your showroom? You can go fuck yourselves. Too bad too, I would've really pushed for a CPO 5er for my mom.

Got brochures and numbers for:

Hyundai - Sonata and Genesis
GM - Lacrosse, CTS
Ford/Lincoln - Taurus, Fusion, MKZ
VW - Passat/CC/Wagon

I only bothered driving the Passat CC, and I was actually very impressed. Everytime I sat in one I was always bugged by the visibility but when I actually drove it, it's not that bad. Underpowered though (but we did have 3 guys in the car for the test drive).
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

After sitting in the Genesis, the Sonata's interior is no match. Yeah I know we're talking about cars that have more than $10k base price difference, but a top of the line Sonata with navi is only 5k or so below the Genesis. The Sonata's interior does look very nice, but materials are meh.

I didn't spend too much time in the GM dealership actually looking at the car because the sales guy was a real car guy. He collected cars - 69 GTO, 80s Bentley, 65 Mustang, etc etc. But I remember being very impressed by the Lacrosse's interior last time I was in it. The CTS will have to be a very base model because of it's MSRP.

From the Ford lineup, I think the Taurus is simply too big. But MKZ on the other hand seemed very attractive. The dealership was offering $10k off the MSRP for their MKZ's before I even talked about price. They were asking $35k for a AWD version with sunroof (MSRP is about $45k). And $32k for a FWD one with sunroof - works out for us since my mom really wants a sunroof this time around.

Now the VW's. I'm really warming up to the CC. I think I'd go for the middle of the range highline - 4k above the base model, you get 18", xenons, touchscreen stereo, leather (vs. leatherette), brushed aluminum trim, etc. The MSRP for the highline was just about $40k, which is right around the Genesis's base price.

Eye of the Tiger

Fusion Sport AWD Sunroof 263 hp DOHC Duratak 3.5L V6 with six speed automagic $28,725.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Fusion Sport AWD msrp is $36k, but online says after "MSRP adjustment", it's $31k.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 21, 2010, 06:21:13 PM
Fusion Sport AWD msrp is $36k, but online says after "MSRP adjustment", it's $31k.

canadian?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

68_427

$10K off MKZ is a great deal.  Do you plan on driving one?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Catman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2010, 06:16:25 PM
Fusion Sport AWD Sunroof 263 hp DOHC Duratak 3.5L V6 with six speed automagic $28,725.

Awesome choice.  Racist approved.

dazzleman

Eddie, do they have a grudge against Japan because the Japanese previously ruled (and mistreated) Korea?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 21, 2010, 05:59:45 PM
Went to a load of dealerships today.

CPO BMW is out - I cannot stand BMW sales people. Yeah I'm only 20, but you wanna ignore me when I step into your showroom? You can go fuck yourselves. Too bad too, I would've really pushed for a CPO 5er for my mom.

Got brochures and numbers for:

Hyundai - Sonata and Genesis
GM - Lacrosse, CTS
Ford/Lincoln - Taurus, Fusion, MKZ
VW - Passat/CC/Wagon

I only bothered driving the Passat CC, and I was actually very impressed. Everytime I sat in one I was always bugged by the visibility but when I actually drove it, it's not that bad. Underpowered though (but we did have 3 guys in the car for the test drive).

Too bad you don't live around here.  I could hook you up with my salesman.  He's pretty cool.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2010, 06:16:25 PM

Quote from: Catman on April 21, 2010, 06:33:22 PM
Awesome choice.  Racist approved.

Don't forget the primary driver of the car (as in pretty much the ONLY driver) will be my mom.

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on April 21, 2010, 07:00:37 PM
Eddie, do they have a grudge against Japan because the Japanese previously ruled (and mistreated) Korea?

I think it started from there  :huh:

I never really asked

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on April 21, 2010, 07:00:37 PM

I think that's how a lot of older generation Koreans are, and if I'm not mistaken, yes, it does stem from that. My dad's bosses at his old job were a Korean couple, and although they had Japanese clients, things were always touchy with them. Also, they never had any Japanese cars.

The younger generation is a lot more open. A Japanese-American coworker of mine is married to a Korean-American woman.

Vinsanity

back on topic, if they can actually get a Genesis for $35k, then I'd say that's the best bet. I'd strongly suggest a certified Cadillac CTS if they're willing to go used, as that allows you to get that actually has options in it.

if used is a possibility:
Volvo S80?
Buick Enclave?

omicron

I think you should move to a proper country and get an Alfa 159 Ti!

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

the Teuton