Spied: Dodge considering Challenger SRT10 production?

Started by SVT666, April 23, 2010, 03:05:46 PM

giant_mtb

Dewd, it's a truck engine.  It's complete trash. :rolleyes:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 24, 2010, 10:45:19 PM
Too peaky.

The torque curve on that little turbo four is probably fatter than the Viper V10 :facepalm:

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 24, 2010, 10:52:58 PM
No, a joke is putting a Cavalier engine in a truck. Oh, snap.

Can't imagine what kind of *SNEEZE Sonoma* truck would have a Cavalier engine in it. That would be half-retarded.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 24, 2010, 11:04:40 PM
Can't imagine what kind of *SNEEZE Sonoma* truck would have a Cavalier engine in it. That would be half-retarded.

Today, I ate a delicious Sonoma Burger at the Cheesecake Factory, and later went to Williams and Sonoma and viewed quality kitchen items. Sonoma appears to be a name associated with fine things.

omicron

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 23, 2010, 04:02:14 PM
Fucking great. Now try building a decent midsize sedan.

+1. And why no production Demon? What a fantastic little car that would have been!

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on April 24, 2010, 09:37:10 AM
If we're going to be on the same side of an argument, stop doing that.  :facepalm:

Better than I returning the favor of insulting and calling names, no? Now that he knows he is wrong he can undertake the journey to correctness.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 25, 2010, 08:41:10 AM
Better than I returning the favor of insulting and calling names, no? Now that he knows he is wrong he can undertake the journey to correctness.

It's irritating. Tell him why you think he's wrong. Otherwise you come across like the little kid that goes nya-nya-nya-NYA-nya...
:lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on April 25, 2010, 08:47:54 AM
It's irritating. Tell him why you think he's wrong. Otherwise you come across like the little kid that goes nya-nya-nya-NYA-nya...
:lol:

Yes, that was kinda the idea; with the desired outcome being he searches for the answers himself. Plus, I get sick and tired of his insults and name calling. But, in being the nice and gracious guy that I am, I will play ball:

So SVT666:

First, I never make stuff up. Second, when an engine's peak torque RPM and peak power RPM are separated by less than 1,000 rpm, one know it's a peaky engine. Third, virtually no N/A gasoline engine has 80% of its peak torque available at 1,200 rpm - you'd be be hard-pressed to find that even with forced induction.

3.0L V6

Quote from: GoCougs on April 25, 2010, 09:18:46 AM
Yes, that was kinda the idea; with the desired outcome being he searches for the answers himself. Plus, I get sick and tired of his insults and name calling. But, in being the nice and gracious guy that I am, I will play ball:

So SVT666:

First, I never make stuff up. Second, when an engine's peak torque RPM and peak power RPM are separated by less than 1,000 rpm, one know it's a peaky engine. Third, virtually no N/A gasoline engine has 80% of its peak torque available at 1,200 rpm - you'd be be hard-pressed to find that even with forced induction.

I know this dyno graph only starts measuring at 3000rpm - but the torque curve seems relatively flat, as the engine is producing almost 500lb-ft of torque from 3000rpm to 6300rpm.

SVT666

So SVT666:

Yeah, when I typed 1,200 RPM I was thinking of the fact that it only turns 1,200 RPM at 60 mph in 6th gear.  But 80% of it's torque is available at a really low RPM (below 3000 RPM), and all you have to do is go look at any dyno graph of any stock Viper to see that.

MX793

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on April 25, 2010, 09:27:41 AM
I know this dyno graph only starts measuring at 3000rpm - but the torque curve seems relatively flat, as the engine is producing almost 500lb-ft of torque from 3000rpm to 6300rpm.

If you look at raw numbers, it wouldn't appear "peaky", but you need to normalize with respect to the peak value to truly determine how peaky a motor is.  "Flatness" generally assumes it produces some high percentage of peak over a broad spread (90% is a common reference).  If we use the 90% metric, the torque spread goes from 3950 to 6050.  2100 RPM out of a total usable rev range of ~6000 RPM (assuming it idles at around 300) means you're at 90+% peak torque over 35% of the band.  That's actually fairly peaky.

For comparison, let's look at a decidedly peaky motor:  the 180 hp 1.8 from the last Toyota Celica (http://image.importtuner.com/f/8359668/0212it_ppcelica03_zoom.jpg).  The Celica made 90% of its peak torque in two spots on its powerband, rather than in a continuous stretch.  There was an 800 RPM stretch from 3500 to 4300 rpm, and then another stretch from 6100 to 7750.  That's a combined 2450 RPM from a car with a 7500 rpm band, or 32.6% (not much narrower than the Viper).

In contrast, the 2.0T in the VW GTI makes 90+% peak torque from about 1500 rpm to 5700 RPM.  Redline is at 6200 rpm and, assuming an idle of around 300 rpm, that gets you a 4200 RPM torque spread out of a 5900 RPM usable band, or 71% of the band.  Very flat.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

So SVT666:

You made up that part about not making stuff up.

93JC

Third, virtually no N/A gasoline engine has 80% of its peak torque available at 1,200 rpm - you'd be be hard-pressed to find that even with forced induction.

Eye of the Tiger

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2010, 09:45:16 AM
Yeah, when I typed 1,200 RPM I was thinking of the fact that it only turns 1,200 RPM at 60 mph in 6th gear.  But 80% of it's torque is available at a really low RPM (below 3000 RPM), and all you have to do is go look at any dyno graph of any stock Viper to see that.

Perhaps if you were concentrated in addressing the subject matter of my posts instead of taking shots at me perhaps you'd make fewer mistakes.

1200 rpm is a different universe than 3000 rpm however. Remember, I specifically said it's a peaky engine, not that it didn't make a lot of torque; less than 1000 rpm between peak power RPM and peak torque RPM defines "peaky," which is relative to the total torque output of the engine, not the absolute torque ouput; meaning that it makes x torque at 3000 RPM doesn't mean it still isn't peaky.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on April 25, 2010, 07:55:49 PM
Perhaps if you were concentrated in addressing the subject matter of my posts instead of taking shots at me perhaps you'd make fewer mistakes.

1200 rpm is a different universe than 3000 rpm however. Remember, I specifically said it's a peaky engine, not that it didn't make a lot of torque; less than 1000 rpm between peak power RPM and peak torque RPM defines "peaky," which is relative to the total torque output of the engine, not the absolute torque ouput; meaning that it makes x torque at 3000 RPM doesn't mean it still isn't peaky.

Swift.

Onslaught

the Teuton

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on April 25, 2010, 07:55:49 PM
Perhaps if you were concentrated in addressing the subject matter of my posts instead of taking shots at me perhaps you'd make fewer mistakes.  meaning that it makes x torque at 3000 RPM doesn't mean it still isn't peaky.

I'm so goddamn tired of you and your armchair engineering with the ONLY experience you have being with some beater old Camaro.

You don't know shit. DRIVE a goddamn Viper sometime. It's not "peaky" at all. In fact it's about as far from peaky as a performance car engine gets.

Almost 400 lb ft of torque at 1800 rpm, and it varies only about 100 lb ft from there all the way to over 6k rpm. While not 80% of it's torque, it still makes close to 75% of it's torque just off idle. As far as what you feel, that bitch is flat from off idle to redline. If you actually DROVE one, you'd fucking know.

Cougs, STFU. Better yet, leave the fucking site until you actualy learn something other than how to be the worlds most ignorant troll outside of Les Vipers.

Jesus this is turning into one of the DUMBEST car sites around with your incessant bullshit spewing.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Rich

Quote from: ChrisV on April 26, 2010, 09:08:57 AM
I'm so goddamn tired of you and your armchair engineering with the ONLY experience you have being with some beater old Camaro.

You don't know shit. DRIVE a goddamn Viper sometime. It's not "peaky" at all. In fact it's about as far from peaky as a performance car engine gets.

Almost 400 lb ft of torque at 1800 rpm, and it varies only about 100 lb ft from there all the way to over 6k rpm. While not 80% of it's torque, it still makes close to 75% of it's torque just off idle. As far as what you feel, that bitch is flat from off idle to redline. If you actually DROVE one, you'd fucking know.

Cougs, STFU. Better yet, leave the fucking site until you actualy learn something other than how to be the worlds most ignorant troll outside of Les Vipers.

Jesus this is turning into one of the DUMBEST car sites around with your incessant bullshit spewing.

Hey, seriously, stop with the attacks, you look ridiculous.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT