~2008 Mid-size Trucks. Frontier or Tacoma?

Started by Pancor, May 09, 2010, 08:57:00 AM

Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier
9 (56.3%)
Toyota Tacoma
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on May 10, 2010, 04:34:21 PM
Tow rating doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with horsepower.  It comes down to the transmission (cooling capacity), differential (again, cooling), brakes, and how much weight the tow hitch can safely support (a function of spring rates and if it has any anti-sway features, not to mention just the strength of the structure).

I meant acceleration while towing, not tow rating actually.

The Pirate

I'm a big Tacoma fan (though I actually prefer the previous gen for size, styling and a real lever for the transfer case).  Still like the new one a lot though.

I'm going to be in a similar situation in a couple years, and as much as I love the Tacoma, it has stupid high resale.  I'd prefer one, but as others have said, it'd probably come down to availability (V6, extended cab, 4x4 and manual tranny for me) and the best deal.

Both are good trucks.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on May 13, 2010, 08:48:23 PM
I'm a big Tacoma fan (though I actually prefer the previous gen for size, styling and a real lever for the transfer case).  Still like the new one a lot though.

I'm going to be in a similar situation in a couple years, and as much as I love the Tacoma, it has stupid high resale.  I'd prefer one, but as others have said, it'd probably come down to availability (V6, extended cab, 4x4 and manual tranny for me) and the best deal.

Both are good trucks.

Which is why I currently, have in the past, and will for the foreseeable future drive a Ford.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on May 13, 2010, 10:16:16 PM
Which is why I currently, have in the past, and will for the foreseeable future drive a Ford.

I like the Ranger a lot, but have you driven a Tacoma?  It's a huge difference.  Better ride, better engine (quicker and more fuel efficient), and not quite as coarse in general.  I'm not a dash stroker, but those things are nice for a long highway slog.  Typical lifeless Toyota steering, but a pretty nice clutch and transmission (You know that Ranger/Explorer tranny as well as I do, and it's nothing to get excited about).

But you're right, the Ranger is a good truck, and I'll more than likely end up buying my dad's B4000 from him when he gets rid of it.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Yeah, I know the Tacomas/4Runners. Ya know, I honestly don't care about amenities and such, so long as there is cruise, AC, and a stereo. It's the superior off-road ability of the Toyotas that I like, as well as the durability. I figure that I have a second car for the nice clutch and all that.

If I didn't care about the money, I would absolutely get a last gen Tacoma over anything else in the small truck segment, but even the off road ability isn't worth that much.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

S204STi

Yeah, the Ranger manages to be a huge value.

GoCougs

I paid $14k for my Tacoma and 10 years and 166k miles later later sold it for $6500 - such a depreciation curve is virtually unheard of.

The operative point is, good resale for the buyer is poor resale for the seller. Sure the Tacoma will cost a lot more to buy but the depreciation curve will be a heckuva lot flatter than a Ranger.

Overall (i.e., difference between buy and sell) I'd bet the Tacoma would be less expensive to own; even more likely considering the Tacoma is a stouter more reliable vehicle.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on May 17, 2010, 09:48:59 PM

Overall (i.e., difference between buy and sell) I'd bet the Tacoma would be less expensive to own; even more likely considering the Tacoma is a stouter more reliable vehicle.

I can agree with everything but this, at least up to about 150 kmiles. The Ranger especially, but also the old S10, were well engineered to begin with, and were around for plenty of time for any kinks to be worked out. I can't speak for the new Taco or Colorado, etc.

Pancor

Aaaaarrrg!   I knew it would be a bit of work, but didn't think it would be impossible to find a crew-cab with a manual transmission!  Looks like the Ranger is sticking around a while longer...

thewizard16

Sorry to hear your truck search is postponed, I would have though there were at least some crew cabs with a manual option.
I've driven the current generation Tacoma bit and really liked it. I like the previous generation's styling better, but it's a nice truck and seemed very capable in the snow/ice, but I can't make any judgement about it's towing prowess. I know nothing personally about the Frontier beyond thinking it's a pretty handsome truck, so I can't offer any worthwhile input there at all.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

MaxPower

Quote from: Pancor on June 07, 2010, 06:52:25 PM
Aaaaarrrg!   I knew it would be a bit of work, but didn't think it would be impossible to find a crew-cab with a manual transmission!  Looks like the Ranger is sticking around a while longer...

I know that Toyota didn't even make the 2001-2004 Tacoma crew cab with manual.  Probably continued the trend to the next gen, but I'm not sure.

The Pirate

Quote from: MaxPower on June 08, 2010, 10:30:04 AM
I know that Toyota didn't even make the 2001-2004 Tacoma crew cab with manual.  Probably continued the trend to the next gen, but I'm not sure.

No, crew cab is available with the manual tranny in this generation.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Quote from: SVT666 on May 10, 2010, 01:16:19 PM
Or it could be gearing.

Or it could be the fact that the Frontier weighs 400 pounds more than the Tacoma.  The power to weight ratio numbers are actually in favor of the Tacoma (16.7 to 17.0), so the Tacoma should be faster on paper anyway.  It has nothing to do with the VQ not living up to peak HP.

All that weight in the Frontier goes to making a it much studdier and stiffer truck, being based off the Alpha platform of the full size Titan.   Most people don't expect trucks being fun to drive, but the stiff chassis of the Frontier and decent chassis makes it decent.  As this is a car enthusiast forum, a little extra fun to drive is never a bad thing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/05q2/2005_chevy_colorado_vs._2005_dodge_dakota_2006_honda_ridgeline_2005_nissan_frontier_2005_toyota_tacoma-comparison_tests

For the Toyota

"So what's the Tacoma doing in third place? Two things sank this truck: the low seating position and the flaccid chassis

What really set back the Tacoma was its imprecise, wallowing suspenders and numb steering. It heels over in turns, plows like a Deere, and bobs up and down long after you've passed road undulations. It was so unnerving that one driver scowled, "I tired to hustle through some turns, but the Toyota would have none of it. Not one ounce of fun-to-drive here."

For the Nissan.

"But the logbook was filled with comments like "best steering of the bunch" and "the body sets in a corner and there's no excess motion." For a truck, the Frontier was remarkably frisky.

During a run down a curvy mountain road, the Frontier was composed, communicative, and even a little fun ? a driving condition that was in short supply with this gang. And on the upward crawl to Barker Ranch, the Frontier drew nothing but praise for its sure-footedness."

Pancor

Got it!  Thats the dealer's shitty pic though.   It's older than I wanted ('05) and a lousy automatic, but I got a smokin' deal, and hey, it's a Nismo!

Towing the Ranger home.  The Frontier has fairly impressive towing capabilities for a mid-size truck!

CJ

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

thewizard16

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SVT666

Nice.  I'm not a big fan of manuals in trucks anyway.  They usually suck.

68_427

The truck looks great!  Congratulations.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Congrats! Everyone's getting cool new cars these days.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Cookie Monster

Automatic?! :cry:

Oh well, congrats though! Looks really nice.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Hey, congratulations!  I'm glad you took my advice. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Did they have the 4.0L VQ in the '05 or did that motor come later?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Quote from: MX793 on June 24, 2010, 03:16:24 PM
Did they have the 4.0L VQ in the '05 or did that motor come later?

It was standard in '05.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert