Motor Trend: LFA vs GTR

Started by 565, May 10, 2010, 09:04:40 AM

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rockraven on May 13, 2010, 02:10:58 PM
Really. The Corvette ZR1, Viper, Porsche 911 Turbo, Nissan GT-R all cost far less and are faster 0-60. It costs more than a Gallardo and a Ferrari Italia, but outperforms neither. If Toyota built this car at the $100,000 price point, then yes I'd be impressed.

If you were in the market for such a car, do you think you'd buy something because "it's faster and cheaper"?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rich

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 13, 2010, 02:28:32 PM
If you were in the market for such a car, do you think you'd buy something because "it's faster and cheaper"?

If I were in the market for a $400,000 car, I certainly wouldn't be knocking at Lexus' door.  Why would I want to buy the car that does nothing better than other premium $300,000 cars?  If the Ferrari cost more, I'd still buy the Ferrari, because it does things better
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

The only reason to buy the LF-A is to get exclusivity over the other supercars, as it does nothing more than sell in limited quantities.  That exclusivity reason is equivalent to the "history and heritage" argument wimmer makes that holds no water with me.  If I put my money down on something I better get something tangible in the product itself for the cost.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT_Power

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 13, 2010, 02:36:42 PM
The only reason to buy the LF-A is to get exclusivity over the other supercars, as it does nothing more than sell in limited quantities.  That exclusivity reason is equivalent to the "history and heritage" argument wimmer makes that holds no water with me.  If I put my money down on something I better get something tangible in the product itself for the cost.

See this is what I'm talking about. It's guys like us who are enthusiasts who would care. But reality is, most people who can afford to buy such cars and do buy such cars, simply don't care.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 13, 2010, 02:33:55 PM
If I were in the market for a $400,000 car, I certainly wouldn't be knocking at Lexus' door.  Why would I want to buy the car that does nothing better than other premium $300,000 cars?  If the Ferrari cost more, I'd still buy the Ferrari, because it does things better

If I were in the market, I'd probably pick up a Murcielago. Is it the fastest? No. Is it the best handling? No. Is it a Ferrari? No. But it is cool as hell, is a Lamborghini, and really how do you say no to something that looks like that.

See where I'm going with this?

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on May 13, 2010, 01:30:45 PM
The performance doesn't have anything to do with the price.  It's the exclusivity that you pay for with a car like this.  You think anyone cares that a Corvette can perform on the same levels as a Ferrari for much less?  Slap a prancing horse on the Lexus and no one would care what it costs. 

Think anyone cares about a Lexus? That argument holds no water. We're not talking about a Ferrari. It's a Lexus. Not exactly a brand known for supercars. Any car can be exclusive, the only thing that goes into that is how many are built. Building only 500 models doesn't make it a good car. It may be "special" in the fact that not that many people have one, but I don't give a damn about who has one. I buy a car for me and me only. If the car isn't special in any other way than being rare, I don't want it.

2o6

I'll bet that the LF-A is incredibly easy to drive at the limit. I would take an LF-A over a ZR-1.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2010, 04:46:53 PM
I'll bet that the LF-A is incredibly easy to drive at the limit. I would take an LF-A over a ZR-1.

If I had $400k, so would I. But I'd take a Ferrari over either of them.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on May 13, 2010, 04:48:46 PM
If I had $400k, so would I. But I'd take a Ferrari over either of them.

The 458 looks odd, the California is flat out ugly.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2010, 04:49:34 PM
The 458 looks odd, the California is flat out ugly.

Come on, the 599 can still be had for under $400k.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

I hate the way the 599 looks.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2010, 04:57:00 PM
I hate the way the 599 looks.

I'm not a fan, but a Ferrari is a Ferrari.

Who am I kidding that I would ever spend that kind of money on a depreciating asset?

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2010, 04:46:53 PM

When would you ever drive the LFA at its limit? If I could ever drive a car at its limit, I don't want "easy". I want "thrilling".

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on May 13, 2010, 05:12:07 PM
When would you ever drive the LFA at its limit? If I could ever drive a car at its limit, I don't want "easy". I want "thrilling".

You have to be very trained to use the ZR-1 well.

hotrodalex

Which makes it fun. Getting everything given to you on a silver platter provides no satisfaction.

SVT_Power

All this talk about driving at the limit, but honestly how many of us will actually develop enough driving skill to fully take advantage of the cars? Now don't get me wrong, I know driving at the limit and driving the car as fast as it will go are two different things, but either way really I don't think any of us are gonna be that good.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 13, 2010, 09:23:26 PM
All this talk about driving at the limit, but honestly how many of us will actually develop enough driving skill to fully take advantage of the cars? Now don't get me wrong, I know driving at the limit and driving the car as fast as it will go are two different things, but either way really I don't think any of us are gonna be that good.

This is why we all need to STFU and get Morgan Aero 8s and Ariel Atoms.

SVT666

I've driven my car at the limit once...and only once...and I guaranty that a driver with skillz would have been able to go even faster then I was going.  The limits of the SVT Focus are way higher then I ever expected and way higher then any jurisdiction in the civilized world will allow.  That's why supercars just aren't doing it for me as much as they used to.

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on May 13, 2010, 02:10:58 PM
Really. The Corvette ZR1, Viper, Porsche 911 Turbo, Nissan GT-R all cost far less and are faster 0-60. It costs more than a Gallardo and a Ferrari Italia, but outperforms neither. If Toyota built this car at the $100,000 price point, then yes I'd be impressed.

OK, which one of those has a screaming V10, has a carbon fiber chassis, and has a actual quality interior?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

A truly good car is fun at any speed.

S204STi

When it comes right down to it, even if cost were no option I'd still go with the GT-R.  Better transmission, still stonkingly fast in pretty much every situation, and it's pretty badass looking IMO.  The LFA just looks like another Toyota styling abortion, isn't that much quicker really, at least not enough to justify the cost, and I wouldn't feel right driving it on a regular basis given the cost and rarity.  Oh, and it'll accelerate out of control and kill you.( :lol:  sorry, but that's just not old yet).  The GT-R on the other hand could easily pass as an all-season daily driver with appropriate rubber in the winter.

the Teuton

The wheels on the GT-R are knurled so the tires don't slip off at high speeds (assuming you can get to Gs where that kind of thing would be possible). I wonder if you can get snow tires for it. That would be frickin awesome.

The best winter beater I've ever seen is a V10 Audi S8 that an NSX/R8 V10 owner uses. Not only is it practical and all-weather beastly with Blizzaks, but it's also aluminum, so it won't rust! :lol:

S204STi

Oh, well I guess you'll have to have some aftermarket wheels/tires setup to swap on and off seasonally then.

Well, I guess if we're talking about great all-season rockets we sort of end up talking about the EVO and STD, which on real world roads offer pretty blistering performance as well. 

2o6

Yeah, the GTR seems to be a strong alternative to a Vette, or even a MB CL or 6-series.

S204STi

Well here's the thing... it's a strong alternative to pretty much every car on the planet.  That's what's so great about it.

the Teuton

Nissan did a hell of a job on it. It's just a shame that it costs as much as a greatly inflated Motorex R34 GT-R did back in the day.

Quote from: the Teuton on May 15, 2010, 06:44:58 PM
The wheels on the GT-R are knurled so the tires don't slip off at high speeds (assuming you can get to Gs where that kind of thing would be possible). I wonder if you can get snow tires for it. That would be frickin awesome.

There actually is an O.E. snow tire for the GT-R

Actually the GT-R has 4 original equipment tires designed for the car.

Bridgestone Potenza RE070R RFT (premium models)

Dunlop SP Sport 600 DSST CTT (base models, even stickier but less practical)

Dunlop SP Sport 7010 A/S DSST (All-Seasons, comes with the cold weather package)

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT (Dedicated snow tires)

Basically Nissan really set out to design a high performance car for any purpose, and has a variety of tires dedicated to that goal.

GoCougs

The one unique aspect I like about the GT-R is that it is relatively anonymous - LFA, F458, R8, etc., sound like great fantasies but in the real world they'd be real PITAs - from parking lot looky-loos to ricers looking for a showdown to LE looking to make an example. The vast majority of the uninitiated would give cars far less capable and far less costly - from the 370Z to the Camaro to the WRX - a lot more attention.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21985.msg1327577#msg1327577 date=1274199446
:rolleyes:

That's the "History and Prestige" coming into play.