Motor Trend: LFA vs GTR

Started by 565, May 10, 2010, 09:04:40 AM

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on May 15, 2010, 06:38:44 PM
When it comes right down to it, even if cost were no option I'd still go with the GT-R.  Better transmission, still stonkingly fast in pretty much every situation, and it's pretty badass looking IMO.  The LFA just looks like another Toyota styling abortion, isn't that much quicker really, at least not enough to justify the cost, and I wouldn't feel right driving it on a regular basis given the cost and rarity.  Oh, and it'll accelerate out of control and kill you.( :lol:  sorry, but that's just not old yet).  The GT-R on the other hand could easily pass as an all-season daily driver with appropriate rubber in the winter.

I'm very much warming to the GT-R (the hideous new automated Ferraris are making the GT-R much more attractive), but without a real stick, I'd still not consider one.  Give it a 6MT option, and I'd start saving my pennies (and then, admittedly, probably end up with an M3).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 18, 2010, 10:18:46 AM
That's the "History and Prestige" coming into play.

No car should ever get a free pass because of a badge in my eyes.  Some small things can be forgiven, but it's not right for me to complain about the GT-R being too automated if I just drool over an ugly Ferrari with the same shit on it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21985.msg1327599#msg1327599 date=1274201822
No car should ever get a free pass because of a badge in my eyes.  Some small things can be forgiven, but it's not right for me to complain about the GT-R being too automated if I just drool over an ugly Ferrari with the same shit on it.
I agree.  The only difference is that the Ferrari still provides a much more engaging driving experience regardless of the electronics.  But, the only Ferraris I like are the 599 and California...moreso the 599, and I will never have enough money to ever buy one so it doesn't really matter.

r0tor

the GTR might have a screaming initial price for supercar performance, but after that it still has typical supercar expenses to deal with so gtr owners probably will have just as much cash floating around as a ferrari owner... the low price of the gtr is wonderful, but it really doesn't mean diddly to me since the average cost of ownership is somewhere arounf $6k a year for a daily driver
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2010, 10:50:33 AM
I'm very much warming to the GT-R (the hideous new automated Ferraris are making the GT-R much more attractive), but without a real stick, I'd still not consider one.  Give it a 6MT option, and I'd start saving my pennies (and then, admittedly, probably end up with an M3).

At this point I'd likely just go for an Evo MR with either tranny.  Way less of the Me-Too-Subaru crowd will bug me, and it's a friggin quick car as it is.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2010, 10:57:02 AM
GT-R sounds like a vacuum cleaner and looks like an anonymous Hot Wheels car

458 looks like a (purpose built) Ferrari and sounds like a Ferrari

GT-R is a hell of an accomplishment but I don't think it will make anyone scream from the top of a mountain like the 458... there's no kind of craftsmanship or passion in its design

SVT666

LEXUS LFA OFFICIALLY SOLD OUT
By Drew Johnson

Some questioned whether Lexus would actually be able to lure buyers away from brands like Ferrari and Lamborghini with its new LFA supercar, but the Japanese automaker has apparently pulled off the trick with the entire 500 unit production run of the LFA spoken for.

Lexus announced earlier this week that it is officially sold out of the $375,000 LFA supercar. Lexus has stated that it only plans to produce 500 examples of the LFA, but it remains to be seen if the automaker will up that target in light of the strong demand.

Lexus failed to break down LFA sales by region, but did reveal about 33 percent of the car?s European sales were represented by Germany. Lexus heavily targeted potential German buyers, footing the bill for eight buyers to see the LFA in action at last month?s 24-hour race at the Nurburgring.

Each of the 500 LFA buyers have already put down at least $125,000 towards the purchase of the car.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on May 13, 2010, 02:15:55 PM
You're right about the Phaeton; though Clarkson did praise it and say it was a waste to buy the Bentley over it. 

I remember that some journalist called the Phaeton the "Best Car That Doesn't Sell."

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 13, 2010, 02:28:32 PM
If you were in the market for such a car, do you think you'd buy something because "it's faster and cheaper"?

Yes.

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 13, 2010, 02:39:58 PM
See this is what I'm talking about. It's guys like us who are enthusiasts who would care. But reality is, most people who can afford to buy such cars and do buy such cars, simply don't care.

People like that would probably rather have a Ferrari or Lamborghini than a plebeian Lexus anyway.

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2010, 04:46:53 PM
I'll bet that the LF-A is incredibly easy to drive at the limit. I would take an LF-A over a ZR-1.

If it were being given to me, so would I. Then I would sell it and buy several cars in its place.

The point is that sure, realistically, no one is going to cross shop an LF-A and a ZR-1. However, people would cross-shop an LF-A and a 599 or 458 or Murcielago or Gallardo or SLS.... etc.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2010, 10:57:02 AM

But it can get a free pass because of exclusivity?

Quote from: Raza  on May 13, 2010, 01:30:45 PM
The performance doesn't have anything to do with the price.  It's the exclusivity that you pay for with a car like this.  You think anyone cares that a Corvette can perform on the same levels as a Ferrari for much less?  Slap a prancing horse on the Lexus and no one would care what it costs. 

2o6

Honestly, I don't think people cross shop at all in this price range.

If I have the money for a car like this, I am going to get the one that "lights my fire", who cares how it performs relative to the competition.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 03, 2010, 12:52:17 PM
But it can get a free pass because of exclusivity?

In the market?  Yes. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

I just saw one sweet ass commercial for the LFA on tv
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Catman

Quote from: r0tor on June 03, 2010, 06:08:49 PM
I just saw one sweet ass commercial for the LFA on tv

I saw that.  Nice.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on June 04, 2010, 08:26:19 PM
The LFA isn't sold out.
Do you have a link? Because I've seen ones that have said it is.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

the Teuton

I say we pool in for a CarSPIN-owned LFA. We'll pass it around to one another.

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on June 04, 2010, 08:33:00 PM
Prepare yourself for a Your Mom joke!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Catman

Quote from: the Teuton on June 04, 2010, 08:33:00 PM

Just like your girlfriend.

Damn, that gauge display is awesome looking.

hotrodalex

Would have been better if the glass was just sitting behind the exhaust, no microphones. But still the best Toyota/Lexus ad I've seen, by far.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on June 04, 2010, 08:39:32 PM
Just like your girlfriend.

Damn, that gauge display is awesome looking.

How come I never got a turn? I have a whip, and other toys :heated: :rastaman:  :partyon: :ohyeah: :pee:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Ugh. 2GR-FSE'd Toyota badged IS based hatchback @ $40K >>>>>>> $400K LFA

thewizard16

I hadn't looked at anything LFA in over a year until reading that article. That V-10 engine sounds glorious. I saw that commercial last weekend and immediately wanted one. It's definitely the best commercial I've seen from Lexus in... well, possibly ever. And this may sound a bit silly, but the gauge cluster is one of my favorite non-mechanical things about the car. Sure the interior is beautiful, but the way the gauges look is just perfect, IMO.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.