Tc Vs. Used RSX Type S

Started by Minpin, August 30, 2005, 02:48:30 PM

Tc
7 (53.8%)
RSX Type S
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Minpin

Well i think i have it narrowed down to a new Tc and a used RSX type S. I cant relly decide if id rather go new or used, im afraid the type S may be all screwed up. Something that wouldnt show up in a test drive. The rsx would have ~20,000-30,000 miles on it. Thanks  :lol:  
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

ifcar

An RSX-S is a great candidate for abuse. The tC is a more laid-back and comfortable car, but it's a much better deal and buying new there's no risk of a previous owner having done something nutty to it.

Minpin

QuoteAn RSX-S is a great candidate for abuse. The tC is a more laid-back and comfortable car, but it's a much better deal and buying new there's no risk of a previous owner doing something nutty.
That's exactly my thinking.

Run Away

Drive both and decide.

Issues with the RSX-S:
Oil pan leaks on some, some burn some oil
2nd gear grind/notchiness when cold is another issue that some have, though it usually goes away once the vehicle is broken in

I don't know much about the Tc.

Minpin

QuoteDrive both and decide.

Issues with the RSX-S:
Oil pan leaks on some, some burn some oil
2nd gear grind/notchiness when cold is another issue that some have, though it usually goes away once the vehicle is broken in

I don't know much about the Tc.
Well the cold is def. not a problem since i am in Houston.  :P  

BMWDave

You never know what some crazy ricers did, or what some overhyper teenagers did to a Acura RSX.  I would not buy one used.  Thats not to say I agree with the tC as the good choice, but out of those two, go with the tC.  If you can, I would buy a RSX (base) new over a tC.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Minpin

Is the RSX about the same speed as the tc? I think it is but im not sure.

Tom

They really are not similar cars for one thing.  The RSX is much more nimble and sporty.  The tC may look sporty but really is not, not to say it is a bad car for what it is supposed to be.

MX793

QuoteIs the RSX about the same speed as the tc? I think it is but im not sure.
If it's the type-S, then it's significantly faster than the tC.  The base RSX is about the same speed as the tC.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Minpin

QuoteIs the RSX about the same speed as the tc? I think it is but im not sure.
If it's the type-S, then it's significantly faster than the tC.  The base RSX is about the same speed as the tC.
i was referring to the base in that post. My fault sorry

MX793

QuoteYou never know what some crazy ricers did, or what some overhyper teenagers did to a Acura RSX.  I would not buy one used.  Thats not to say I agree with the tC as the good choice, but out of those two, go with the tC.  If you can, I would buy a RSX (base) new over a tC.
A base RSX is quite a bit more than a tC when new.  The base RSX starts at $20.3K with no options and the tC is $16.2K and is really well equipped at that price.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Minpin

QuoteYou never know what some crazy ricers did, or what some overhyper teenagers did to a Acura RSX.? I would not buy one used.? Thats not to say I agree with the tC as the good choice, but out of those two, go with the tC.? If you can, I would buy a RSX (base) new over a tC.
A base RSX is quite a bit more than a tC when new.  The base RSX starts at $20.3K with no options and the tC is $16.2K and is really well equipped at that price.
Thats the reason why I like the Tc. It has got tons of standard features. I was also thinking that in a few years after i've saved up a few thoushand I could put a supercharger on it. :lol:  

thewizard16

QuoteYou never know what some crazy ricers did, or what some overhyper teenagers did to a Acura RSX.? I would not buy one used.? Thats not to say I agree with the tC as the good choice, but out of those two, go with the tC.? If you can, I would buy a RSX (base) new over a tC.
Thats the reason why I like the Tc. It has got tons of standard features. I was also thinking that in a few years after i've saved up a few thoushand I could put a supercharger on it. :lol:
That's true, and since it'd be TRD, it'd be covered under warranty. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the RSX style wise or interior wise. It's probably the better sports handler, but I'd rather have the tC for normal use, and it's probably not too bad in the handling department. I've heard from owners that it's decent, but I've never had the opportunity to play with one on a curvy road.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

850CSi

I've driven a tC. I didn't like it very much, but that might just be because I'm coming out of an A4, a small near-luxury AWD turbo sedan with superb dynamics.

The tC just felt nose-heavy to me.

I'd go for a base RSX. Mini Cooper over them both.

Run Away

I wouldn't be so much worried about being driven hard than I would being maintained properly.

The previous owner wouldn't have driven it any harder than what I would drive it anyways.

It's not common that young kid would have an RSX Type S anyways, they're not cheap.

MX793

QuoteI wouldn't be so much worried about being driven hard than I would being maintained properly.

The previous owner wouldn't have driven it any harder than what I would drive it anyways.

It's not common that young kid would have an RSX Type S anyways, they're not cheap.
I see swarms of RSXs being driven by kids who are either high school or college aged.  The kids may not be able to afford them, but mom and pop sure can.
Needs more Jiggawatts

jadewolf123

Have you considered the Corolla XRS? My friend has one and its really high quality. Nice 6-speep and once the good cams come on its darn quick. Interior quality is good, and everything TRD will fit on it.  
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Fire It Up

QuoteHave you considered the Corolla XRS? My friend has one and its really high quality. Nice 6-speep and once the good cams come on its darn quick. Interior quality is good, and everything TRD will fit on it.
I'd take a tC over that.

I'd take a tC over a base RSX too, 1)because its got more stuff 2)it wont be abused 3)its got a damn retractable roof.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

I really dislike Scion and the marketing behind it, so I wouldn't buy one under any circumstances.  I don't think I'd sink my money into an RSX either.

What about a used TSX?  Or even a used IS300?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteI wouldn't be so much worried about being driven hard than I would being maintained properly.

I see swarms of RSXs being driven by kids who are either high school or college aged.  The kids may not be able to afford them, but mom and pop sure can.
There were about 6 RSXs in my high school parking lot.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteI really dislike Scion and the marketing behind it, so I wouldn't buy one under any circumstances.  I don't think I'd sink my money into an RSX either.

What about a used TSX?  Or even a used IS300?
I'm not sure you could get either into his price range. Maybe the IS but it would have to be from the first model year, which was '01 I think.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteI really dislike Scion and the marketing behind it, so I wouldn't buy one under any circumstances.  I don't think I'd sink my money into an RSX either.

What about a used TSX?  Or even a used IS300?
I'm not sure you could get either into his price range. Maybe the IS but it would have to be from the first model year, which was '01 I think.
That's still only 4 years or so.  That's nothing for that car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

QuoteI really dislike Scion and the marketing behind it, so I wouldn't buy one under any circumstances.? I don't think I'd sink my money into an RSX either.

What about a used TSX?? Or even a used IS300?
If everyone's worried about some jackass screwing up the RSX, I'd be even more worried about what type of condition an IS would be in. The RSX is just driven by brats, but the IS would most likely have been driven by rich brats who probably never saw a manual shifter in their life before that car.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteI really dislike Scion and the marketing behind it, so I wouldn't buy one under any circumstances.  I don't think I'd sink my money into an RSX either.

What about a used TSX?  Or even a used IS300?
If everyone's worried about some jackass screwing up the RSX, I'd be even more worried about what type of condition an IS would be in. The RSX is just driven by brats, but the IS would most likely have been driven by rich brats who probably never saw a manual shifter in their life before that car.
Probably not.  Most manaul ISs I've seen are driven by post college grads who seem to take pretty good care of the care.  It's the same demographic that buys 325i manuals.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

The 2001 IS300 was auto only.

Minpin

Thanks for all of your suggestions, i appreciate it. About the Tc being nose heavy, would some springs and shocks help that out? I'm not the most mechanical of guys :)

MX793

QuoteThanks for all of your suggestions, i appreciate it. About the Tc being nose heavy, would some springs and shocks help that out? I'm not the most mechanical of guys :)
It's nose heavy because it's got 60% or more of its weight hanging over the front wheels.  Springs don't shift weight around.  Now, if you wanted to lay some lead bricks in the trunk to move the center of gravity back, you could make the car have a 50/50 weight distribution between the front and rear wheels, but it will weigh substantially more than it did when you started.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Minpin

I see, heh I told you im not that mechanical :)

CaseyNPham

The 01 IS was loud, uncomfortable, and had some ugly fitment from what I've seen. The last few years have improved a LOT but I don't think an 01 would be such a great choice.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

Raza

Okay, fine.

I'd buy a Mazda 3s over both the tC and used RSX-S.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i