service questions

Started by rohan, May 26, 2010, 03:21:53 PM

rohan

1) How important is it to follow tune-up schedule (B)?  Can I go longer than 40,000 miles? (it's like $250 bucks)  Can I use platinum plugs and go longer or won't they work that way for the 5.7l?
2) Do any of you know anything about the additive for the diffs Dodge uses?  Is there a non-chrysler additive out there that doesn't cost $70?
3) Dodge dealership says no need to service transmission for 150,000 miles- does that sound right?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

JWC

If you tow a boat, I wouldn't trust the 150,000 recommendation on the trans.

Having had friends with Chrysler products, be careful about skipping any services.  After warranty repairs can be affected by those service records.  As to me, if it is running normally and there is not a loss of fuel economy, I have recommended customers to skip plug changes.  The exception being the 5.7 Ford.  The spark plugs in those engines carbon up and break off in the head.  If this isn't a problem with Chrysler engines, I'd skip it.

Same recommendation about additives as to AWR's.

rohan

thanks.

Expanded question- company recommends diffs fluids be changed every 15k miles- and it requires that additive ( I have zero idea what it is or what it does).  What's your thoughts about that?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

JWC

Quote from: rohan on May 26, 2010, 04:43:08 PM
thanks.

Expanded question- company recommends diffs fluids be changed every 15k miles- and it requires that additive ( I have zero idea what it is or what it does).  What's your thoughts about that?

Can only answer for Ford, which recommended diff service at 120,000, unless you towed a heavy trailer or routinely submerged the diff...say when off-road or putting a boat in the water.  Then, it went to 60,000.  The additive is to keep the diff clutches from sticking...assuming it it limited-slip.  If not, I can't imagine why they would recommend a diff additive.  Chrysler may not being using synthetic gear oil and that is why they recommend a diff service at 15K, which was common with dino fluid.

S204STi

I tend to take dealership recommendations with a grain of salt, but if your owner's manual has a tuneup schedule I'd follow that religiously if I were you.

The Pirate

Yeah, I've always been one to follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.  And to be honest, 150K miles seems like a really long time for an automatic transmission fluid change interval.  I'm sure that Chrysler knows better than I, but I'm still scratching my head a little there.  Also, as for fluids, I'd definitely use Chrysler OEM.  Not sure if it's still an issue, but there was a lot of premature failures from people using the wrong fluid (Dexron/Mercon instead of the Chrysler stuff).  Shouldn't be an issue if you're going to the dealership, but stay on top of that if you take it to an indie shop.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AutobahnSHO

Key to Chrysler Transmission is use the EXACT FLUID SPECIFIED. Many dealerships stick in whatever sounds close and FUBAR the transmission.

I had a 1992 Voyager that was fine at 160k, but supposedly it developed some transmission problems a little later.
Had a 1999 Caravan that was running strong at 140k and got totalled.

Will

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2010, 06:44:49 PM
I tend to take dealership recommendations with a grain of salt, but if your owner's manual has a tuneup schedule I'd follow that religiously if I were you.

Ditto x100.

Regarding the OP:

One can down load Dodge manuals here.

Per the factory Durango manual (second generation):

Normal conditions: 150,000 miles.

Extreme conditions (fleet, police, taxi, towing): 120,000 miles.

I would never use any additives or use any other fluid than that outlined in the factory manual.