Getting the Itch for a New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, May 28, 2010, 01:34:44 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on June 12, 2010, 04:05:58 PM
Congratulations on the new car.  It looks pretty sweet.  :rockon:

You need to get something like it when it comes time to replace the 5er. Time to have some fun again instead of being all stodgy. :devil:

Then you can through a loud, tasteful exhaust on it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on June 12, 2010, 04:13:55 PM
You need to get something like it when it comes time to replace the 5er. Time to have some fun again instead of being all stodgy. :devil:

You're calling my car 'stodgy?'  Them's fighting words, man... :rage:

I intend to keep the 5er for a while longer.  I'm just not in the mood to spend money right now, when the direction of the economy is still so up in the air.   I'd rather save my money at this point.  I don't do financing, so I'd need to draw down on my liquidity to get another car.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Loud exhausts are much cheaper than new cars. :ohyeah:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sportyaccordy

Quote from: dazzleman on June 12, 2010, 04:44:18 PM
You're calling my car 'stodgy?'  Them's fighting words, man... :rage:

I intend to keep the 5er for a while longer.  I'm just not in the mood to spend money right now, when the direction of the economy is still so up in the air.   I'd rather save my money at this point.  I don't do financing, so I'd need to draw down on my liquidity to get another car.
Dude a new car is tiddlywinks to you. Plus it wouldn't even have to be anything crazy. Something light like an old Aston Martin Vanquish or Ferrari 550 Maranello. I mean saving money is nice, but waking up to a sultry coupe with a V12 exhaust note is nice too yanahmean????

r0tor

that is one sweet piece of ass... i'd love to have one some day
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Congrats dude.  I really like it.

Catman

I would have gotten a bike instead but damn that's a nice car!

hotrodalex

This is what I miss when I don't come in the Luxury section for a month.

I'm jealous. Awesome car, awesome color.

SJ_GTI

Bump! Dazzleman bumping his thread made me curious about this one. A lot of funny stuff in this thread. GoCougs was a douchebag even back then.  :lol:

He called this one right. Dazzleman ended up by a car with the exact same engine (well, almost exactly the same).  :dance:

What ever happened to this guy (Teuton)? I remember him posting here but can't remember why he stopped? Was it a ragequit?

68_427

When is the tune going on your car?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 30, 2014, 08:09:09 AM
Bump! Dazzleman bumping his thread made me curious about this one. A lot of funny stuff in this thread. GoCougs was a douchebag even back then.  :lol:

Well, it was very important to ameliorate this concern about MPG on a ~$50k car (and I did so, so you should thank me, which I know you do).

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2014, 11:22:49 AM
Well, it was very important to ameliorate this concern about MPG on a ~$50k car (and I did so, so you should thank me, which I know you do).

:golfclap:

Lebowski

So ... Can't help but notice you got the "itch" for a new car after having the GTI after four years, which you noted at the time was the longest you had ever owned a car. You took delivery of the S4 in June 2010 ...

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on June 30, 2014, 11:55:20 AM
So ... Can't help but notice you got the "itch" for a new car after having the GTI after four years, which you noted at the time was the longest you had ever owned a car. You took delivery of the S4 in June 2010 ...

This is a very valid point.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

AFAIK the M235i will very soon be available with xDrive in the US.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on June 30, 2014, 11:55:20 AM

Nope, I am still super happy with my car. I plan on keeping it as long as possible.

In a way getting the S4 will be a "good deal" for me because I will likely keep the car longer. I can easily see this car lasting through "2 cycles" of my old car buying habits.

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 30, 2014, 12:32:34 PM

Nope, I am still super happy with my car. I plan on keeping it as long as possible.

In a way getting the S4 will be a "good deal" for me because I will likely keep the car longer. I can easily see this car lasting through "2 cycles" of my old car buying habits.

Yep, I was mainly just ribbing you. 4 years is a short time to own a car you purchased new IMO, seems like you just bought it and should have several more years of enjoyment out of it IMO.

MrH

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 30, 2014, 12:22:34 PM
AFAIK the M235i will very soon be available with xDrive in the US.
Really? I hadn't heard that. That's interesting.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on June 30, 2014, 12:08:58 PM
This is a very valid point.

New S4 is still a bit out there (12-18 months)...

dazzleman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 30, 2014, 08:09:09 AM

He called this one right. Dazzleman ended up by a car with the exact same engine (well, almost exactly the same).  :dance:

What ever happened to this guy (Teuton)? I remember him posting here but can't remember why he stopped? Was it a ragequit?

I love reading these old threads to see what people were up to a few years ago.  We forget a lot.

Teuton left because he was working in the industry, and he thought that posting on a car forum created a conflict of interest for him.  I'm friends with him on Facebook and still talk to him, and he continues to meet up with 'spinners who go out to Los Angeles.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Teuton did call this pretty well (though I'll never get loud exhaust -- that's too trashy for me).

dazzleman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 14, 2010, 06:11:32 AM
Dude a new car is tiddlywinks to you. Plus it wouldn't even have to be anything crazy. Something light like an old Aston Martin Vanquish or Ferrari 550 Maranello. I mean saving money is nice, but waking up to a sultry coupe with a V12 exhaust note is nice too yanahmean????

Even back then, people were telling me how to spend my money!

That was a very bad period (2010) and I wasn't secure enough with anything back then to make a major purchase that wasn't forced.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on June 30, 2014, 07:38:03 PM
I love reading these old threads to see what people were up to a few years ago.  We forget a lot.

Teuton left because he was working in the industry, and he thought that posting on a car forum created a conflict of interest for him.  I'm friends with him on Facebook and still talk to him, and he continues to meet up with 'spinners who go out to Los Angeles.

Teuts left because he started spamming us with lame links, and we called him on it. It's where the "big things are coming soon" jokes came from.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on June 30, 2014, 08:52:43 PM
Teuts left because he started spamming us with lame links, and we called him on it. It's where the "big things are coming soon" jokes came from.

He ended up becoming too cool for us.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on June 30, 2014, 08:52:43 PM

Yeah, it was a total ragequit. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on June 30, 2014, 12:56:25 PM
Audi S4 v Audi RS4. Does Supercharging Rule? - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

Interesting video.

Honestly I haven't even considered any upgrades to the car. I know 330 HP is getting to be somewhat pedestrian nowadays, but on public roads it still feels faster than what I would ever need.  :huh:

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 01, 2014, 08:28:00 AM
Interesting video.

Honestly I haven't even considered any upgrades to the car. I know 330 HP is getting to be somewhat pedestrian nowadays, but on public roads it still feels faster than what I would ever need.  :huh:

It's ridiculous. My car is pretty quick, but my brother's S4 would destroy it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

S4 is definitely a car I would consider pedestrian.

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on July 01, 2014, 10:53:44 AM
S4 is definitely a car I would consider pedestrian.

With your arsenal, that's hardly the news of the year

2004 S2000
2016 340xi