Maybe SUV handling does matter, Cayenne dodges out of way of crashing truck(vid)

Started by 565, May 30, 2010, 06:50:15 PM

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2010, 08:34:45 PM
There's so much more...

Lockable center diff? Yes.
Lockable f/r diffs? Yes, rear. Although the new model loses this (and 400lbs) for more on road sporty manners.
Two speed t-case, and if so, what is the low ratio? Yes.
Stock tires, and clearance to put on larger tires? Yes. Stock tires suck, but so do the ones on the Range Rover Sport and plenty of other posh luxury SUV's.

Betcha on total the Xterra is the better rig off road.

Rupert

Why do you keep bringing up the RR Sport? We are clearly not using it as a benchmark for good SUV, as evidenced by one of my previous posts.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2010, 08:34:45 PM
There's so much more...

Lockable center diff?
Lockable f/r diffs?
Two speed t-case, and if so, what is the low ratio?
Stock tires, and clearance to put on larger tires?

Betcha on total the Xterra is the better rig off road.

I hate betting (cause I generally lose), and I would, in fact, bet on that.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Strangely, Porsche's website is absent off-road technical data for the Cayenne, choosing rather to snowball with ACRONYMS and pseudo enthusiast language. That they call it "AWD" tells me quite a bit.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2010, 09:44:22 PM
Strangely, Porsche's website is absent off-road technical data for the Cayenne, choosing rather to snowball with ACRONYMS and pseudo enthusiast language. That they call it "AWD" tells me quite a bit.

While I'd guess that the Xterra is also a better truck offroad, I wouldn't read too much into Porsche's website.  They know their audience, and they know their audience doesn't care.  The idea is to make a car good enough on-road for women to drive, yet manly enough for men not to be ashamed to drive it.  Any offroad credibility has little meaning to their demographic. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2010, 09:44:22 PM

Are you looking at the 2010? The new generation lost a lot of it's off road capability.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on June 09, 2010, 01:34:05 PM
Are you looking at the 2010? The new generation lost a lot of it's off road capability.

It lost it is off-road capability? Really?

The diffs are now part of an off-road option package, I believe.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on June 09, 2010, 02:24:16 PM
It lost it is off-road capability? Really?

The diffs are now part of an off-road option package, I believe.

IIRC, the locking diffs were removed.

And I'm not an english major.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

AltinD

Yes, both the Touareg and Cayenne lost the locking differential and the air suspensions with the new redesigned models, however you can still get that as an option on the V6 Diesel powered Touareg model.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD