MrH's Great Car Shuffle of 2010

Started by MrH, May 31, 2010, 11:14:01 AM

Submariner

Out of all the cars you listed, I would be most interested in the MS6 and the Cooper S - just my .02 cents. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on June 05, 2010, 06:33:00 AM
Those rates are pretty low, man.  What level of coverage are we talking about?

I pay about $1,100 per year for insurance, but I had to really shop around to get that.  $370 every six months, or $740 per year, is really cheap if it's for full coverage.
Quote from: dazzleman on June 05, 2010, 06:33:32 AM
Is the Mini you're considering a convertible?

Yep, full coverage with low deductibles (I think it's $250/$500).  And that's for a 22 year old with relatively sporty cars.  I had two speeding tickets on my record before I was 18 too :lol:.

USAA is the shit :rockon:  My parents have been with them for probably 30 years.

And no, I'm not considering a Mini convertible.  I think they're horribly proportioned and awkward.  Only convertibles I'm considering are 2 seaters that are specifically designed as convertibles.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on June 05, 2010, 11:21:06 AM
Yep, full coverage with low deductibles (I think it's $250/$500).  And that's for a 22 year old with relatively sporty cars.  I had two speeding tickets on my record before I was 18 too :lol:.

USAA is the shit :rockon:  My parents have been with them for probably 30 years.

And no, I'm not considering a Mini convertible.  I think they're horribly proportioned and awkward.  Only convertibles I'm considering are 2 seaters that are specifically designed as convertibles.

Those old tickets are probably off your record by now, and not affecting your rates.  Are those rates for you on your own policy, or as a driver on your parents' policy?  That would make a huge difference.  You were quoted great rates, IMO.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MrH

Quote from: Rupert on June 05, 2010, 04:22:04 PM
What, no Sebring?

:lol:

Probably my least favorite car in existence.
Quote from: dazzleman on June 05, 2010, 04:24:08 PM
Those old tickets are probably off your record by now, and not affecting your rates.  Are those rates for you on your own policy, or as a driver on your parents' policy?  That would make a huge difference.  You were quoted great rates, IMO.

Driver on my parent's policy.  It makes no sense for me to get off my parent's policy.  I'll ride these cheap rates as long as I can :praise:.

Test drove a purple (yes, purple :facepalm:) 2005 Mini Cooper S today.  I'll post a review of it, and the Miata sometime this week.  I'm hunting for a used RX-8 to test drive (might just go drive a new one instead), and then the search for the exact car begins.  I've been driving the tacoma all week, and finally experience the problem my dad was talking about.  Feels kind of like the power steering is gone, but I think that'll all go away with a new wheel bearing, which will be going in this week.  Protege is getting a fender bender from a little while ago repaired this week.  I'll be parting some things out of the protege this week to sell/give to Adam, and getting the whole car pretty close to stock.

Reviews coming soon!
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Sounds busy, but fun!

Good luck with your search!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: 68_427 on June 05, 2010, 07:42:05 PM
Purple cars are awesome.

Meh...

I found a deal of the century on a NB Miata around here a while ago. $5k for 40,000 miles. Miata prices are super jacked up in canada too. It should've been going for about double that amount. But I just couldn't do it because it was purple. I didn't have the money at that moment but my buddy was willing to lend me the money since he knew I've wanted to move to a Miata for a while (and he hates my car  :lol: )
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

68_427

Why does he hate your car?  I've been looking for SVT Contours...
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: 68_427 on June 05, 2010, 08:53:51 PM
Why does he hate your car?  I've been looking for SVT Contours...

Well more than anything he loves bustin' my balls. He's a hardcore car guy - pretty much only cares for driving feel and involvement. I could never live with his S14's ride harshness, although I admit the handling on that car is very impressive for pretty much a dead stock car. He's running stock springs with aftermarket gas struts. His main problem with my car (which I agree with) is that it's FWD.

Then I just shoot right back at him with "you realize your car is a slushbox right?"   :devil:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

68_427

I don't mean to hyjack but are there chips/tunes out there to raise the rev limiter to 7K or a little higher?
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: 68_427 on June 05, 2010, 08:58:50 PM
I don't mean to hyjack but are there chips/tunes out there to raise the rev limiter to 7K or a little higher?

I know there are a few tunes out there for SVTC's but I dunno if it raises the limiter at all.

I once made a thread on the contour boards about why our cars redline rather low (I mean it's a 2.5L V6), and everyone started going "Are you dumb? Our cars actually revved higher than most cars back when it was released". That site is the most hostile place that i know of. It's stupid.

68_427

I don't think it would be a huge issue raising it up to 7K unless you're a douche and lets the rpm hang at 7K for extended periods.  Saying your car redlines at 7K sounds better than saying 6750.  lol

Does your car have the purple/midnight blue interior?   :wub:
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Raising the rev limit probably wouldn't matter for 250 RPM unless the engine is already maxed out as far as it possibly can while still being safe. I wouldn't rev a pushrod V8 that much unless it was built specifically for that, but a Contour engine should do it easy.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 68_427 on June 05, 2010, 09:10:13 PM
I don't think it would be a huge issue raising it up to 7K unless you're a douche and lets the rpm hang at 7K for extended periods.  Saying your car redlines at 7K sounds better than saying 6750.  lol

Does your car have the purple/midnight blue interior?   :wub:

Meh I just say 7k  :lol:

Silver SVTC's only came with midnight blue interior. It's pretty much a black except in bright direct sunlight.

2o6

Doesn't it not matter? Doesn't power really level off at XXX RPM's, so extra revs wouldn't matter?

68_427

It would help performance if it makes more hp at 7K than ~5-5.5K.  (RPMs drop to about 5-5.5K after each shift.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: 2o6 on June 05, 2010, 09:46:36 PM
Doesn't it not matter? Doesn't power really level off at XXX RPM's, so extra revs wouldn't matter?

With regular cams, the 2.5L duractec starts running out of steam around 5k, with SVT cams, it pulls pretty hard until redline.

MrH

Well, the GTI is back on the to test drive list.  I found a nice 2007 with 32k miles and is CPO for only $14,400.  That's cheap enough that the slightly higher insurance doesn't matter much.

The Mini Cooper-S interior was pretty awful.  It's mostly down to Miata, RX-8, GTI, and Civic Si.  I think the Civic Si is going to be out based on what I heard about the steering feel.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

2 crazy test drives today. 2nd gen cooper s with an awesome salesman begging for me to really push it, and thanked me when i went all out. The other was a GTI by myself.  Well, after the GTI drive, both generation Mini Cooper-s's are out of the running for sure. More in depth reviews later.  Down to a nc miata, mkV gti, or rx-8 now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

the Teuton

When you get the boost going on a JCW and discover what torque steer feels like, you know you're finally starting to push the thing enough. Fun cars.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MrH

Quote from: the Teuton on June 16, 2010, 03:53:10 PM
When you get the boost going on a JCW and discover what torque steer feels like, you know you're finally starting to push the thing enough. Fun cars.

I felt torque steer in the 2007 Cooper S.  It wasn't pleasant.  Uphill S-bend, nearly pulled me into upcoming traffic.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

the Teuton

Quote from: MrH on June 16, 2010, 07:29:54 PM
I felt torque steer in the 2007 Cooper S.  It wasn't pleasant.  Uphill S-bend, nearly pulled me into upcoming traffic.

Yeah, I did it in a straight line. Catastrophic understeer into traffic wouldn't have been as fun. Sorry your experience with the car sucked.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

I really can't wait to drive a new Mini. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Ok, I'm going to do my best to give short reviews on the cars I've driven so far.  I'm quickly learning what I value in a car more than anything else.

NC Miata

I test drove a 2006 Miata Sport.  It was a bright red 5-speed without any options really.  It felt pretty quick, great turn in, steering feel, and quality.  That was the best way to describe the Miata.  Fun to drive and pretty high quality.  Interior was nice, the roof mechanism was hands down the best and easiest to operate of any convertible I've seen.  Decent sized trunk for how small of a car it is.  I love the idea of a convertible.  Merging onto the freeway was so simple.  Looked over my shoulder...oh wait, there isn't any pillars blocking my view.  Down shift into third, pick a spot, and blast into it.  

Just a great sense of fun and speed when I really wasn't going fast at all.  Head room is a little tight though.  If I leaned forward about an inch with the roof up, my head hit one of the supports for the roof.  I later found out in another miata, I can get much more comfortable by moving the seat up a click or two, and reclining it more.  That frees up a little more room.  The big benefits of an NC Miata:  Crazy fun to drive, an amazing deal on the used market (looking at '06's with under 30k miles for $16,000 completely loaded), tons of cool gadgets in the loaded up models (Xenon headlights, keyless ignition, etc), should be pretty reliable along with pretty good gas mileage.  Surprisingly the lowest insurance out of everything too (even lower than my Protege5).  The downsides are obvious:  size.  Can I live with something this small daily?  That's the big question.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rich

As long as you don't take any long trips that you need to make good time.  700 miles a day in Miata is pretty uncomfortable.  If you bought something big, and it's raining, just ask a friend to help bring your stuff home.

And yes, I love not having any pillars.  Wait til you drive through a tunnel with the top down at night.  It's pretty amazing too

IIRC the 2006s don't have seat height adjustment, it's on the 07 and up
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TBR

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 17, 2010, 09:58:52 AM
As long as you don't take any long trips that you need to make good time.  700 miles a day in Miata is pretty uncomfortable.  If you bought something big, and it's raining, just ask a friend to help bring your stuff home.

And yes, I love not having any pillars.  Wait til you drive through a tunnel with the top down at night.  It's pretty amazing too

IIRC the 2006s don't have seat height adjustment, it's on the 07 and up

Would you mind going into more depth regarding long distance comfort? During my test drive of a NB I was pleasantly surprised with the ride and the noise level,at least below 55 it seemed to match or exceed the Prelude in both departments.

BimmerM3

Miatas have always been known for their easy to operate tops. You should be able to lower any generation Miata top from the drivers seat as long as the top mechanics are in good condition. Of course, they just made it better in the NC since, IIRC, there's now just a single latch.