This is just lovely...

Started by ChrisV, June 03, 2010, 12:27:56 PM

ChrisV

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/95410314.html

Ohio's highest court has ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it looked to a police officer that the motorist was going too fast. I realize that this used to be the "old way" of doing it before radar, but the whole reason for radar and the like was to get rid of the old school way of making it a judgement call from the officer, whom being only human could make mistakes (or just decide that he didn't like you).

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

Quote from: ChrisV on June 03, 2010, 12:27:56 PM

Ohio's highest court has ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it looked to a police officer that the motorist was going too fast. I realize that this used to be the "old way" of doing it before radar, but the whole reason for radar and the like was to get rid of the old school way of making it a judgement call from the officer, whom being only human could make mistakes (or just decide that he didn't like you).
I'm willing to bet that municipal budget deficits in Ohio will have a tendency to make cars appear faster.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

Ya think? Even for a trained officer that can estimate speeds to within a few mph, they can be influenced by sound, shape, and color. A red Porsche with louder exhaust WILL look faster at 60 than a quiet, beige Camry. ALWAYS. And if the speed limit is 60, and you're doing 60, do you really want them to have legal precedent to simply say, "he looks like he's going 67 mph" and pull you over? And have it stick because some do-gooder decided that an officer, by virtue of their position, IS more credible than you are? I don't.

Estimating speeds is pretty easy at lower speeds, and considerably more difficult the faster it gets, especially narrowing it down to within a ticketable limit. Even an untrained officer could tell that a person was doing 35 in a 20 mph zone within a couple mph variance. But at 60, it'll be a lot harder. Distance from the object in question also plays a part. 35 mph seems a lot faster when you're 5 feet from the car going by than it does a mile away. And I'd like to ask trained officers who think they are good at this sort of thing to estimate the speed of a 737 going overhead to within 10 mph...

Seems fitting that this legal precedent is trying to be set in the state that gave us New Rome...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rome,_Ohio

http://www.newromesucks.com/main.html

Gotta-Qik-C7

This has been on the news here all day. People are in a uproar.  :heated:  I'm really speechless........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

...and I'm not planning on going back home anytime soon now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

This would be great it if would be used instead of radar, and just to catch purely reckless drivers. Instead, I fear it will be used to hand out $300 speeding tickets like candy to little girls dressed as fair princesses on Halloween.

Like I've said before, the most just and fair thing to do would be to reduce speeding to a secondary offense, and only let cops pull you over if you are obvioiu8sly doing something reckless and dangerous in conjunction with a supposed excess of speed.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

This is not going to be good.

dazzleman

Teuton, what are you worried about?  PlastiCar always appears to be going 25 mph anyway.  You have nothing to worry about.

Whatever the ruling, I bet this type of speeding enforcement will remain rare and easily challengeable in court.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on June 03, 2010, 06:52:44 PM
Teuton, what are you worried about?  PlastiCar always appears to be going 25 mph anyway.  You have nothing to worry about.

Whatever the ruling, I bet this type of speeding enforcement will remain rare and easily challengeable in court.

My car is loud. They'll stop me for "speeding" the speed limit, then ticket me for a BS noise violation, even though my car is still relatively "quiet."

I see no good coming from this.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2010, 06:55:00 PM
My car is loud. They'll stop me for "speeding" the speed limit, then ticket me for a BS noise violation, even though my car is still relatively "quiet."

I see no good coming from this.

You need to put your fart can on to complete the package.

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 03, 2010, 06:55:26 PM
You need to put your fart can on to complete the package.

It'll happen. It's either going to be a Rage Speedmaster or nothing at all.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2010, 06:57:42 PM
It'll happen. It's either going to be a Rage Speedmaster or nothing at all.

If you ever put that thing on, I will follow suit buy putting a motorcycle can on the Swift.  :wub:

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on June 03, 2010, 06:52:44 PM

He'll lose the cops in the smoke screen.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2010, 07:08:03 PM

Oh, fuck off... :lol:

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 03, 2010, 07:00:45 PM
If you ever put that thing on, I will follow suit buy putting a motorcycle can on the Swift.  :wub:

Is that a motorcycle can? :wub:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2010, 07:33:13 PM
Oh, fuck off... :lol:

Is that a motorcycle can? :wub:

Naw, you got a fart can there.

See, I want to get something like this, and for no reason other than being ridiculous, put it on the Swift:

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2010, 07:08:03 PM

:lol:
Believe me, you're right.  I can still smell the smoke from Teuton starting up PlastiCar in my driveway.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on June 03, 2010, 07:43:59 PM
:lol:
Believe me, you're right.  I can still smell the smoke from Teuton starting up PlastiCar in my driveway.

I just put some oil in it not too long ago. I was thinking that I'd capture some carbon residue in a bottle and mail it out to you just in case that smell ever wears off.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2010, 07:45:34 PM
I just put some oil in it not too long ago. I was thinking that I'd capture some carbon residue in a bottle and mail it out to you just in case that smell ever wears off.

Don't worry.  It won't.  The pollution is permanent.  :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on June 03, 2010, 07:46:41 PM
Don't worry.  It won't.  The pollution is permanent.  :lol:

I won't be happy unless you have a big carbon spot on your driveway.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2010, 07:51:27 PM
I won't be happy unless you have a big carbon spot on your driveway.

I have one, right on the spot where PlastiCar was parked.

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on June 03, 2010, 07:52:39 PM
I have one, right on the spot where PlastiCar was parked.

Then my work is done. :praise:

SVT_Power

This has to be a joke. If a ticket issued this way stands up in court, that's just BS.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on June 03, 2010, 12:27:56 PM

Yet another reason to avoid Ohio.  I'm glad I've already seen the only thing worth seeing in the state; the Air Force Museum.

GoCougs

Subjective law is the tool of the immoral state.

bing_oh

Quote from: ChrisV on June 03, 2010, 12:27:56 PMhttp://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/95410314.html

No, this wasn't the "old way" of doing it before radar. Before radar, LEO's generally used VASCAR, where an officer used a stopwatch to time a vehicle travelling a set distance to determine speed.

In reality, legal radar usage already requires that the officer visually estimate speed before activating the radar and the radar must correspond with the visual estimation. It's a required part of radar training and officers much show a consistant ability to estimate vehicle speeds in various conditions within a few mph. The courts are simply acknowledging an established and trained ability for the vast majority of LEO's.

I also find it interesting that people here think that such a legal precident would somehow encourage corruption and false citations. If I, as a LEO, am willing to faslify a citation with a visually estimated speed, then why wouldn't I falsify a citation with a radar or laser speed? Those speed measurement devices don't keep a log of every speed recorded and I'm not required by law to show you your speed when I pull you over. Likewise, such devices all have know errors that have to be recognized by a trained operator. Mistakes can be made with both radar and laser that would create a false speed. The likelihood of errors and the margin or error for a trained LEO doing visual speed estimation as opposed to radar or laser is negligable.

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on June 04, 2010, 08:43:35 AMSubjective law is the tool of the immoral state.

All law is subjective by its very nature as a thing made by man. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need the judicial branch of the government. :huh:

SVT_Power

Quote from: bing_oh on June 04, 2010, 11:57:24 AM
All law is subjective by its very nature as a thing made by man. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need the judicial branch of the government. :huh:

"You were doing exactly XX mph according to this machine. So you will be given a ticket for going yy mph over the limit"

Doesn't seem that subjective to me
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

rohan

It's completely subjective- the officers has the absolute right to write it for any speed over the limit up to what he clocked you at not to mention it's completely and absolutely up to him if he even pulls you over or writes the ticket.  We've had this law for probably 50 years in Michigan- Violation of Basic Speed Law and on the ticket we just write  "VBSL"  nothing else in the violation section.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: rohan on June 04, 2010, 02:22:54 PM
It's completely subjective- the officers has the absolute right to write it for any speed over the limit up to what he clocked you at not to mention it's completely and absolutely up to him if he even pulls you over or writes the ticket.  We've had this law for probably 50 years in Michigan- Violation of Basic Speed Law and on the ticket we just write  "VBSL"  nothing else in the violation section.

And yet, you wonder why people are upset about unjust speed enforcement, without even touching upon the morality of speed limits in the first place.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: bing_oh on June 04, 2010, 09:11:40 AM
No, this wasn't the "old way" of doing it before radar. Before radar, LEO's generally used VASCAR, where an officer used a stopwatch to time a vehicle travelling a set distance to determine speed.

For decades, they didn't use VASCAR, they simply sat behind billboards and if you looked/sounded fast, you were pulled over. Maybe your "old days" only go back to about 1970 or so...

QuoteIn reality, legal radar usage already requires that the officer visually estimate speed before activating the radar and the radar must correspond with the visual estimation. It's a required part of radar training and officers much show a consistant ability to estimate vehicle speeds in various conditions within a few mph. The courts are simply acknowledging an established and trained ability for the vast majority of LEO's.

And I gave some examples I'd like to see demonstrated. Different locations, different distances, different looking and sounding cars. It's plainly obvious a jet flying overhead doesn't LOOK like it's doing 375-500 mph, but it is. If we didn't already KNOW it, from general knowledge, how close do YOU think YOU could estimate it's speed by looking at it? And a red 911 with a louder exhaust will seem faster if it goes by you fairly close, than a gold Camry would going a little faster further away. No matter how well you're trained, you KNOW that 's going to be the case. And I can also guarantee that if you took 10 officers and had them visually estimate the speed of the same car in the same spot, you'd get 10 different answers and few of them would match the radar gun. Change the kind of car and the distance/angle to it, and that disparity will change, as well. That's the reason for multiple measurements, both visual and mechanical... to reduce error, and reduce the risk of it being a simple judgement call.

QuoteI also find it interesting that people here think that such a legal precident would somehow encourage corruption and false citations.

You mean in places like New Rome? Or the deep south? I realize that you have to have a very high regard for your fellow officers, and I have high regard for a lot of officers, including most on this board, but sorry, police abuse of power is a long standing "tradition" and reality in MANY jurisdictions. In most places, there is recourse after the fact, but it would be nice to reduce the opportunity to NEED after-the-fact recompense for mistakes. We have the ability to reduce subjectivity, this is in effect going backwards. And for what reason, really? Why would officers want to open themselves up to looking even more like bad guys in the eyes of the general citizenry?

I think history has made it blatantly clear that giving people (including police) power without some type of check system will result in said power being abused. That is fact.

QuoteIf I, as a LEO, am willing to faslify a citation with a visually estimated speed, then why wouldn't I falsify a citation with a radar or laser speed? Those speed measurement devices don't keep a log of every speed recorded and I'm not required by law to show you your speed when I pull you over. Likewise, such devices all have know errors that have to be recognized by a trained operator. Mistakes can be made with both radar and laser that would create a false speed. The likelihood of errors and the margin or error for a trained LEO doing visual speed estimation as opposed to radar or laser is negligable.

In most, if not all cases of mechanical verification of speed, the accused has recourse to question the veracity of the claims. And yes, falsification has happened, in both claims of using it (no, your honor, it did not pick up the much larger truck behind the defendant) and in calibration (yes, your honor the device was calibrated before each stop in accordance with policy and the operating manual). But you do have a way of questioning it.

This ruling is in effect stating "the officer's word is final law and he doesn't have to actually KNOW you were going fast, only that he FELT you were going fast. And you can't question that."

"A rational trier of fact could find testimony by a police officer who
is trained, certified by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (?OPOTA?) or a
similar organization, and experienced in visually estimating vehicle speed, that he
estimated a vehicle?s speed to be in excess of the posted limit sufficient evidence
to establish a violation of R.C. 4511.21(D) beyond a reasonable doubt. "

Sorry, but we're tuning everyday citizens into criminal suspects whose word is worth less than an officer's. And all in the name of filling the coffers easier. You clock me over for 70 in a 55 zone, you got me. But if you pull me over for 70 in a 65 zone when I was DOING 65, just because my modded car LOOKS/SOUNDS fast to you, I better be able to ask you to prove it other than "well, I'm trained to estimate speed." My problem with estimate speed type tickets are that you have no logical legal way to fight them. To fight them is to call the ticketing officer a liar in court, vs merely mistaken, and how the heck do you convince a judge (that knows the cop) of that?

And let's not get into the whole "kill 'em all and let God sort it out" mentality of let them write as many tickets as they want and if you're in the right you can simply fight it and win. I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced by HAVING to try to fight it in the first place, just because some officer decided that they didn't like what I was driving that day, even if I was doing nothing wrong. I've already had to fight officers making mistakes like that, and see no good in canonizing that behavior.