Why are we legally bound to wear seat belts?

Started by SVT_Power, June 06, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2010, 09:28:59 AM
The issue with requiring helmets for car drivers is unlike seat belts there are significant detriments to using a helmet in a car, most notably, vision and field of view.

So then why require helmets for motorcyclists?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on June 08, 2010, 10:37:13 AM
Taken at face value, that would make sense, but, stricter testing has the potential of discriminating against those with poor reading comprehensive.  Government mandated safety devices do not discriminate.

Screw reading comprehension, drivers need to be tested on driving comprehension. They have sone really awesome simulators nowadays that could be implemented into a driving skill training and testing program. But, they'd rather just hand out liceses like candy; after all, it facilitates the continued handing out of traffic tickets like candy, and all of these things make money, rather than cost money. Money > Safety.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

Cougs, you're still thinking of a daily car helmet (my term) to that of a motorcycle helmet (which I could argue proves that such weight is inconsequential) or a racing helmet to that of a bike helmet that weighs just a few ounces.    Even with a helmet, car or bike, not all head injuries are preventable.   I had a concussion after my car crash in 1998, though I had no external impact.

Besides, it is the same government that is abominable at technology, as you say, that required seat belts which you seem to think is a good idea.  Ford introduced seat belts in the 1950's, but no one wanted to pay extra and technology basically stalled.  The government mandated seat belts in all cars starting in 1968.  Though they were not perfect, they worked and the regulation has allowed advances so that seat belts are far safer and easier to use today. 

JWC

Quote from: Tave on June 08, 2010, 11:04:18 AM

I've often wondered why motorcycle riders are not required to be belted to their motorcycles.  It isn't like many know how to, or are willing to drop their bike before a crash.  Riders tend to "hang on" until they hit something that throws them thirty feet and breaks their neck.  Of course, a successful drop and slide means full leathers and most riders wouldn't be willing to wear them because of the heat.

GoCougs

Motorcycles are absent A/B/C pillars, have unlimited head room, and are a vastly smaller less restrictive vehicle (i.e., promote far greater spacial awareness).

GoCougs

Quote from: JWC on June 08, 2010, 11:07:33 AM
Cougs, you're still thinking of a daily car helmet (my term) to that of a motorcycle helmet (which I could argue proves that such weight is inconsequential) or a racing helmet to that of a bike helmet that weighs just a few ounces.    Even with a helmet, car or bike, not all head injuries are preventable.   I had a concussion after my car crash in 1998, though I had no external impact.

I understand not all head injuries are preventable but a helmet is profound a factor is preventing them and lessening their severity.

Besides, it is the same government that is abominable at technology, as you say, that required seat belts which you seem to think is a good idea.  Ford introduced seat belts in the 1950's, but no one wanted to pay extra and technology basically stalled.  The government mandated seat belts in all cars starting in 1968.  Though they were not perfect, they worked and the regulation has allowed advances so that seat belts are far safer and easier to use today.  

Sure, some things government can get right, but it will get most things wrong, and most notably, restrict/discourage advancement.

Absent government regulation, there would likely be some sort of private body comprised of automakers that would recommend certain design and safety factors. NASCAR's requirement after the Earnhardt crash is a perfect example.

rohan

Quote from: thecarnut on June 08, 2010, 10:40:36 AM
So you're saying you'd rather have an easier test for people who can't pass a harder test, and put those people in cars on the roads where everyone else can get affected?

Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous. Better driving requirements would be much more beneficial to all, especially for bicyclists (I have almost been hit way too many times to remember due to people not being able to drive their cars).
He didn't say that or anything of the kind.  He said there's potential so government takes the moral "easy" road.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

JWC

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2010, 11:30:21 AM
I understand not all head injuries are preventable but a helmet is profound a factor is preventing them and lessening their severity.

Sure, some things government can get right, but it will get most things wrong, and most notably, restrict/discourage advancement.

Seat belts are a perfect example and really are an apples to apples comparison.  When seat belts were first introduced, as well as airbags for that matter, the manufacturers ignored the potential safety benefits and didn't fit them in cars.  Another prime example is the rear shoulder harness.  All cars were required, by law, to have a mount for a rear shoulder belt in 1968, but left it up to the manufacturer to install the belt or the customer to special order it.   None, save for some Euro companies, did so.

History has shown that companies will not develop a private body to recommend  or require certain advancements, that has fallen to the government.   Only independent consumer groups have advocated change and did so by backing federal regulatory laws.  (Underwriter's Laboratories and Good Housekeeping's Seal of Approval come to mind).   Probably Consumer Reports comes closer to advocating for regulations in today's world.

Even when Ford advertised the safety benefits of padded dashes, seat belts and safety glass, no one wanted to buy it, though the benefits were widely advertised and approved by consumer groups at the time.   It took a federal mandate and once that was in place, technological advances began.  

ChrisV

Quote from: rohan on June 07, 2010, 06:03:26 PM
You're required to wear them because a)they do save lives  b) they do reduce injuries  c) a + b = insurance savings for the rest of us long term.

Not driving a car would reduce injuries, save lives and save insurance costs. Since so many people say driving is a privilege that can be taken away at will, then simply ban cars. Problem solved.

If you're going to use the "saves lives" argument (or worse, "if it saves just one life it's worth it"), then don't do half measures, or it really isn't about that. Just like most other traffic laws.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

thewizard16

That's not a law here, interestingly. At least 75% of the people I see on motorcycles here don't wear them, but that's in town. I don't know if it's as bad on the interstate.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

MX793

Quote from: thewizard16 on June 08, 2010, 04:08:59 PM
That's not a law here, interestingly. At least 75% of the people I see on motorcycles here don't wear them, but that's in town. I don't know if it's as bad on the interstate.

I'd say 75% of motorcyclists in your area are morons.  I grew up riding dirt bikes.  I've hit the dirt at everything from 2 mph to 50+.  You can just as easily bust your head falling at a "slow" 20 mph as you can at highway speed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

I wear a helmet, condom, and socks at all times. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22168.msg1339297#msg1339297 date=1276285214
I wear a helmet, condom, and socks at all times. 

:lol:
Isn't a condom a little uncomfortable to wear all the time, Raza?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

JWC

Helmets?  We don't need no stinkin' helmets...but maybe a condom.

ONSLOW COUNTY, NC -- State troopers say a man and a woman were both naked when their motorcycle crashed early Friday morning in Onslow County.

The man behind the handlebars is a Marine gunnery sergeant at Camp Lejeune.

Troopers say Gunnery Sergeant Steven Sheals was headed east on Meadowview Road when his motorcycle ran off the right side of the road. Both he and passenger Jennifer Smith were thrown off the motorcycle. The Highway Patrol says even though Smith broke her leg and arm in the crash she managed to either walk or crawl a third of a mile for help.

Troopers tell us both Sheals and Smith were not wearing clothes and that alcohol played a factor in the crash.

Sheals has been charged with DWI, reckless driving, driving without a license, license revoked, expired inspection, no insurance and no helmet.

Sheals was taken to New Hanover Regional Hospital where he is in fair condition, while Smith was treated and released from Onslow Memorial Hospital.

Camp Lejeune says Sheals is an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician with EOD Company, 8th Engineer Support Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 25. They say he's been in the Marines for almost 18 years.

From WITN TV today.

To show just how good news reporters are...the report this evening said that Ms. Smith was charged with failure to wear a seat belt.  REALLY?

Eye of the Tiger

Alcohol was a factor. YEAH, YA THINK!? LOL. EOD guys are crazy, man.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)