VW Jetta!

Started by 2o6, June 14, 2010, 03:18:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Even Swifts have independent rear suspension  :facepalm:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 16, 2010, 04:07:34 PM
Even Swifts have independent rear suspension  :facepalm:

So do PlastiCars surprisingly.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

68_427

Needs more rusty hood, roof rack, and BBS rimz...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: r0tor on June 16, 2010, 11:05:50 AM
i'm guessing the torsion beam rear makes any 4motion hopes out of the question...
Damn near all VW's have had torsion beams in the back. They just switch to IRS when they go 4 motion.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on June 16, 2010, 03:50:26 PM
Come on, the Maxima had a beam axle for the longest time, and no one seemed to care.

People did care, and it was slammed for having a torsion beam.

2o6

Quote from: The Pirate on June 16, 2010, 04:00:28 PM
The third gen had IRS.  And you're still incorrect for the 4th gen and 5th gen.  It's a multi-link beam (also called a twist beam, also called a torsion beam), and while it's not as sophisticated as a true multi-link, it's decidedly not a beam axle.  While limited in this (relative to the aforementioned multi-link), the twist beam does allow some independent wheel movement.

Beam axle is what you see for the rear suspension of a Dodge Caravan.

Caravans use a Dion De Tube.  :tounge:

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 16, 2010, 04:52:06 PM
Damn near all VW's have had torsion beams in the back. They just switch to IRS when they go 4 motion.

No, the MKV Jetta/Golf has IRS.

The Pirate

Quote from: 2o6 on June 16, 2010, 08:55:59 PM
Caravans use a Dion De Tube.  :tounge:

AWD variants use a de Dion tube.  The FWD version uses a beam axle.  I don't know about the current gen, from 1984 to 2005ish that was the setup.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22235.msg1342490#msg1342490 date=1276712301
If you say so.  The Kizashi looks nowhere near as good as the Jetta, despite being as derivative as it is.  And there's no way it drives as well as a 2.0T Jetta.  Maybe as well as the 2.5 though...I've been meaning to write that review.  

The GLI is in an entirely different price range, and I don't think the 2.0T Wolfsburg even still exists (of course I could be wrong since Volkswagen never really acknowledged its existence in the first place).

The Kizashi looks much better than the Jetta I think, though I am actually a fan of both.

Atomic

let's not forget... vw is preparing us for the next generation passat. i think that car will be our "upscale" jetta and "lesser" passat in one awesome vehicle. i hope!

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: TBR on June 16, 2010, 09:11:33 PM
The GLI is in an entirely different price range, and I don't think the 2.0T Wolfsburg even still exists (of course I could be wrong since Volkswagen never really acknowledged its existence in the first place).

The Kizashi looks much better than the Jetta I think, though I am actually a fan of both.

The Kizashi is a far better looking vehicle, but I think one of the biggest problems with the Kizashi is its powerplant. Suzuki needs to jump on the turbo bandwagon and throw in a similar turbo to the 2.0T found in the Jetta GLI/Wolfsburg. It's not that the base engine is bad, but from the reviews, it's just another 4 cylinder powerplant. It is not anything special especially considering that Kizashi is supposed to be Something Great is Coming. The Kizashi is a good, good vehicle, but just lacks a better engine to make it that much more desirable. I think launching with a single engine was probably a mistake or they need to put a rush on the next engine. Suzuki said they would have other engine options within the next model year. Guess what is coming up in a few months? It has been on the market for a year and I have read ZILCH about getting other engine choices other than when the car was first released.

I wonder if the alliance with VW has delayed some things for Suzuki.

I'd still take a Kizashi over a Jetta even with a 2.0T.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

CALL_911

Wow, I don't know what you guys are talking about. This thing looks great! If nothing, it looks a LOT better than the current Corolla Jetta.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on June 19, 2010, 08:40:46 AM
The Kizashi is a far better looking vehicle, but I think one of the biggest problems with the Kizashi is its powerplant. Suzuki needs to jump on the turbo bandwagon and throw in a similar turbo to the 2.0T found in the Jetta GLI/Wolfsburg. It's not that the base engine is bad, but from the reviews, it's just another 4 cylinder powerplant. It is not anything special especially considering that Kizashi is supposed to be Something Great is Coming. The Kizashi is a good, good vehicle, but just lacks a better engine to make it that much more desirable. I think launching with a single engine was probably a mistake or they need to put a rush on the next engine. Suzuki said they would have other engine options within the next model year. Guess what is coming up in a few months? It has been on the market for a year and I have read ZILCH about getting other engine choices other than when the car was first released.

Yea that motor in the Kizashi is a downer and a half. 4 banger + automatic + AWD, and they're touting it as a sports sedan? :wtf:

That shit needs a turbo like yesterday.

I'm still 'meh' about the Jetta. Kinda curious to see if they do the coupe thing. I always wanted an MK3 or MK4 Jetta coupe

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 19, 2010, 09:27:30 AM
Yea that motor in the Kizashi is a downer and a half. 4 banger + automatic + AWD, and they're touting it as a sports sedan? :wtf:

Huh?

Why would you get the AWD? You can get a 6-spd on the other models. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on June 19, 2010, 08:40:46 AM

It's certainly not a bad four-cylinder. Plenty of punch, quiet. A higher-end model wouldn't have likely represented many sales anyway; if anything, they might have considered putting in a smaller engine in base models. Mazda does it with the 3; Suzuki only has something comparable to a 3 S.

Vinsanity

and I know the swoopy-car bandwagon is getting a little crowded, but if there's one car in this segment that should be there, it's the Kizashi. From the side, that car looks just plain stodgy, compared to the dramatic front end. It reminds me of a Toyota Yaris sedan (the side angle, that is)

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 16, 2010, 09:11:33 PM

They actually put the 2010 Wolfsburg on the site this time.  It gets a black front instead of the chrome like on mine.  I'm thinking of doing it to my car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I can't believe you people like the Kizashi and don't like the cars it most blatantly ripped off.  I don't know what's wrong with you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22235.msg1345861#msg1345861 date=1277145708
I can't believe you people like the Kizashi and don't like the cars it most blatantly ripped off.  I don't know what's wrong with you.

Aside from the facia, they look nothing alike, and the Kizashi has better proportions.

2o6

The Jetta looks much taller and narrower. The Kizashi looks very sporty.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2010, 12:44:03 PM

Aside from the facia, they look nothing alike, and the Kizashi has better proportions.

You people are blind.  It's attractive, but nowhere near as good looking as a properly trimmed Jetta.  The base trims with the tiny wheels, big gaps, and chrome window trim don't look so good, sure, but the Wolfsburg and GLI look way better than anything Suzuki has put out...ever. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

The Jetta looks tall, and even when properly wheeled, it has a big butt and tall beltline which makes the wheels look tiny.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 21, 2010, 12:41:48 PM
I can't believe you people like the Kizashi and don't like the cars it most blatantly ripped off.  I don't know what's wrong with you.

A lot of times a derivative car looks better than the car it ripped off. Look at the previous generation Accord and Sonata. The Sonata looked much better even though it shared a lot with the Accord. It's the benefit of hindsight.

I am also not really sure how you can call us blind when you seem to think that the A3 and A5 Jettas look alike.

the Teuton

The Jetta looks like a used prostitute. The Kizashi looks tall and narrow, too, but it looks a little better.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 21, 2010, 01:21:11 PM
A lot of times a derivative car looks better than the car it ripped off. Look at the previous generation Accord and Sonata. The Sonata looked much better even though it shared a lot with the Accord. It's the benefit of hindsight.

I am also not really sure how you can call us blind when you seem to think that the A3 and A5 Jettas look alike.

You guys are blind because you can't see that....

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2010, 12:49:33 PM

The Jetta looks much taller and narrower. The Kizashi looks very sporty.

The Kizashi has larger wheels and relatively larger wheel arches/openings, but otherwise the silhouettes are pretty darn similar.  The Kizashi also has a slightly shorter rear deck and the rear fenders bulge a bit more.  Altogether, I think the little details make the Kizashi look a little sportier thanks to the bobbed tail and the larger wheel openings and wheels making the car look a little bit lower and a little more muscular.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Secret Chimp

The Kizashi looks like a mini Sebring from the side.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

mzziaz

Quote from: 2o6 on June 26, 2010, 10:37:26 PM
Guess what, guys!

We get the 2.slow back!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-jetta.html

:facepalm:

What? A 115 hp 2.0? in 2011? What the fuck?
Cuore Sportivo

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on June 26, 2010, 10:37:26 PM
Guess what, guys!

We get the 2.slow back!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-jetta.html

:facepalm:

well there's the explanation for the lower price tag...the question then becomes, how will the 5-banger be priced?