The Plymouth Volare

Started by cawimmer430, June 17, 2010, 05:22:31 PM

cawimmer430

Don't give up! Get a Plymouth Volare!  :lol:

For only $ 4,362!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5gcuE4VN4
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Northlands

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 19, 2010, 11:25:22 AM
The US cars from the 50s and 60s are hot to, but my favorite design era is from the 70s and 80s.  :ohyeah:

I mean look at this!  :wub:

If you like that, check this out:

My Dad had one of these when I was a kid.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 19, 2010, 12:05:33 PM
Wim are you being serious? Those cars are ugly as shit. You know what... maybe they look different to you... when I see them I'm instantly reminded of the era of sub-mediocrity that defined American cars from the late 70s up to... the mid 90s?

I'm being completely serious here. I realize these might not have been the best quality cars available back then, but from a design point of view I find them stunning, beautiful and attractive.  :ohyeah:

I grew up with these cars seeing them in the movies. And of course it's extremely rare seeing such a car here (mostly at classic car shows).  :ohyeah:

I'll say it again: the Plymouth Volare is hot!  :ohyeah:

Reminds me of the 1970s Toyota Cressida, which looks similar. A neighbor of mine in the Philippines had a 1970s Cressida and I always liked the design of that car. Guess that's one reason why I find the Plymouth Volare so hot.  :tounge:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2010, 12:14:14 PM
I admit I have an inexplicable soft spot for the 1980's box-style Caprice. Not so surprisingly, a large portion of survivors have ended up in South Central L.A., but surprisingly, many of them are in great condition.

I think that early B-body Caprices look great, especially ones with the glass back.

The later ones look bad.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Northlands on June 19, 2010, 12:16:29 PM
If you like that, check this out:

My Dad had one of these when I was a kid.

Hot.  :praise:

You could throw a college party in the trunk of that thing!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 19, 2010, 12:16:56 PM
Reminds me of the 1970s Toyota Cressida, which looks similar. A neighbor of mine in the Philippines had a 1970s Cressida and I always liked the design of that car. Guess that's one reason why I find the Plymouth Volare so hot.  :tounge:
Strangely I can see the lineage. Without knowing the history of those cars I can see where one would find beauty in them- especially coming from a place where cars tend to be smaller, etc....

It's gonna be hard (read: impossible) to find any fellow fans of those cars though lol. Cars from that era are almost universally hated in America. Your viewpoint, if nothing else, is very interesting....

ChrisV

I love a lot of cars of the '70s and early '80s, as well.

from my own '76 Pontiac Grand LeMans (I want another one):

To cars like teh '78-81 Monte Carlo:

Same year Malibu:

And same years Fairmont:

These cars, in fact, are far from universally hated.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

BTW, the Volare was the Plymouth version of the Dodge Aspen... Also far from universally hated. Oh, maybe by people ignorant of cars in general, through hearsay from other people that don't know much, or from young import fanbois who have little or no experience, but far from universally hated.

http://www.boogerracing.com/SuperCoupe.html

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Eye of the Tiger

My '79 Grand LeMans was universally loved.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on June 19, 2010, 01:28:40 PM

:wub:

However, while they aren't universally hated (after all, nothing is), there isn't exactly a huge following. I can appreciate the examples you've posted, as I imagine most car people would, but that doesn't do much to show that they were good cars. After all, the one's you posted are all modified. How many restored-to-period-correct examples of the above cars have you seen?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on June 19, 2010, 04:46:42 PM
:wub:

However, while they aren't universally hated (after all, nothing is), there isn't exactly a huge following. I can appreciate the examples you've posted, as I imagine most car people would, but that doesn't do much to show that they were good cars. After all, the one's you posted are all modified. How many restored-to-period-correct examples of the above cars have you seen?

If they were restored to period, they'd all have 180 hp 502 V8s or something. Those cars deserved better engines than what they got from the factory.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2010, 05:19:11 PM
If they were restored to period, they'd all have 180 hp 502 V8s or something. Those cars deserved better engines than what they got from the factory.

The Volare/Aspen only had a slant 6 (except R/Ts, those had a 360ci V8 with 170 hp and ran the 1/4 mile in a blistering 17+ seconds at 86 mph).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2010, 05:19:11 PM

Um, yes, exactly.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on June 19, 2010, 06:18:40 PM
Um, yes, exactly.

That's not a whole lot of power for such a massive, yet constricted, engine.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2010, 06:22:12 PM
That's not a whole lot of power for such a massive, yet constricted, engine.

His point was that the ones that have survived have been modified because they rolled out of the factory lousy.

Rupert

Quote from: ifcar on June 19, 2010, 06:22:58 PM
His point was that the ones that have survived have been modified because they rolled out of the factory lousy.

Yes, indeed.

Cookie Monster

Teuts is having a hard time reading lately. Not so good for a journalism major. :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on June 19, 2010, 06:47:55 PM
Teuts is having a hard time reading lately. Not so good for a journalism major. :devil:

I work 10 hours a day a lot of days. I have writing projects for other shit. I wish I were more talented.

And I'm not a journalism major.

Rupert

the Teuton

Rupert

The only time I can't spell, grammerate, or comprehend the written word is at 3 am, after eight or so strong drinks. :lol:

(Yes, I am aware that grammerate is not a word).

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on June 19, 2010, 08:10:23 PM
The only time I can't spell, grammerate, or comprehend the written word is at 3 am, after eight or so strong drinks. :lol:

(Yes, I am aware that grammerate is not a word).

Yeah, it's "grammarate."

Rupert

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 19, 2010, 12:37:27 PM
Strangely I can see the lineage. Without knowing the history of those cars I can see where one would find beauty in them- especially coming from a place where cars tend to be smaller, etc....

It's gonna be hard (read: impossible) to find any fellow fans of those cars though lol. Cars from that era are almost universally hated in America. Your viewpoint, if nothing else, is very interesting....

The reason I like these cars is because of their design. Most Americans seem to think these are boring and bland but I find them exciting and lovely from a design point of view: classiness is written all over them. I don't expect them to be high quality since Detroit was going through a turbulent times in those days (especially Chrysler), but there's no law that states I can lust over them.  :praise:

When I see something like this in Germany, which is rare, I seriously get excited. My pulse doesn't even rise anymore when I see a Ferrari, Lamborghini or exotic sports car in Munich - but when I see a classic American car from the past for example I almost suffer a heart attack.  :tounge:

Check this out: Plymouth Volare Estate in Germany!

And here's a Plymouth Volare Taxi in Switzerland!

Even American cops loved them!  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: ChrisV on June 19, 2010, 01:28:40 PM

Sweet ride.  :praise:

By the way, what was the underlying difference between Plymouth and Dodge? Was Plymouth a sort of entry-level brand below Dodge?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 19, 2010, 11:25:22 AM
The US cars from the 50s and 60s are hot to, but my favorite design era is from the 70s and 80s.  :ohyeah:

I mean look at this!  :wub:

I think you're losing it, Wimmer..... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

3.0L V6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 20, 2010, 06:02:24 AM
Sweet ride.  :praise:

By the way, what was the underlying difference between Plymouth and Dodge? Was Plymouth a sort of entry-level brand below Dodge?

That was Plymouth's role exactly. It was to compete with Chevrolet and Ford as the everyman's car - in fact Plymouth was in the top selling three brands from the 1930s to 1970s in the US. Sadly, Chrysler corporation shifted Dodge into that role and neglected Plymouth by limiting the number of cars in Plymouth's lineup (Plymouth never had a version of the Dodge Intrepid, for example) letting the brand slowly expire in 2001.

Onslaught

Like most cars from that time I find it ugly and probably a POS.

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on June 20, 2010, 08:32:28 AM
I think you're losing it, Wimmer..... :lol:

The '80s Caprice was one of the hottest American cars ever. IMO it should have won an award for its pure classiness and beauty. I've seen a handful over here - beautiful.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on June 20, 2010, 08:39:12 AM
That was Plymouth's role exactly. It was to compete with Chevrolet and Ford as the everyman's car - in fact Plymouth was in the top selling three brands from the 1930s to 1970s in the US. Sadly, Chrysler corporation shifted Dodge into that role and neglected Plymouth by limiting the number of cars in Plymouth's lineup (Plymouth never had a version of the Dodge Intrepid, for example) letting the brand slowly expire in 2001.

Sad that Plymouth had to die.  :frown:

www.wimmerfotografie.de