David vs. Goliath

Started by the Teuton, June 18, 2010, 05:50:05 PM

Rupert

That's pretty much a Mini track, yeah.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

QuoteWhile some sections favor MINI's go-kart handling, others set Porsche's 385 horses loose.

"Others?" I count one--maybe one and a half.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Personally I think the Mini won't win, even on that course.  Porsche should just put a good driver in a 911S and end this.

Honestly that course doesn't seem that much tighter than alot of autocross set ups, and it's not like Mini's blow everything away there.

Plus I can't really think of any situation where the Mini has enough of an advantage.  I thought the one place where the Mini could have an advantage was turning radius, but it doesn't even have an advantage there.

In terms of wheelbase, the 911 is actually much shorter, a 92.5in wheel base compared to the Mini's 97.1 inches.

That wheelbase advantage allows the 911 to actually beat the Mini's turning radius while having wider front tires.  The Mini's turning radius 35.1 feet, versus 34.8 for the Porsche.

Everyone thinks that super tight slow corners would favor the Mini's.  But I actually think that is where it will be the weakest.  I don't claim to be some sort of autocross expert, but from the very few autocrosses I've been to, I see the Mini's doing rather well for their class in the transitions and in places where you could use its narrow width to full advantage.  It's weakness is where all front wheel drive cars are weak, putting down power out of slow corners on full lock.  There is where the traction of the 911 will really pull ahead.  Though it is hard to compare because stock 997's are rare to see at autocross, because they don't dominate their class (and thus not a tool of choice), and the Mini's do dominate their class, so they are super common.

I think by the new SCCA rules, the 997.2 S is Super Stock (SS), and the Mini S is D stock.

http://scca.com/documents/resultfiles/Wendover%20Pro%20Results4.pdf

I mean this is just a recent sample of what usually happens.  The Mini's do well in their D class, but they are still a few seconds off the fastest laps of S stock.  

Another recent event

http://scca.com/documents/resultfiles/Wendover%20Results3.pdf

The Mini's are bit closer to S stock's number this time, but still a couple seconds off.

Remember this is all pretty much stock cars on racing slicks (to level the playing field on tires).  I don't know what tires Mini will be bringing to the event, but assuming it's bone stock tires too, the Porsche has the added advantage of stickier tires.

Rupert

I agree. It's not like the 911 isn't a nimble car. I think that the course they set up favors the Mini, but I still think the 911 would win.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on June 19, 2010, 01:11:51 PM
So then they're using the kart track at the south side of the real track (near turns 6 and 7)...

Yes. I've actually driven on that figure 8 and skid pad.

Rich

well that blows.  oh well

the Teuton

The Mini is still one hell of a fun car. If you were expecting it to win, you were kidding yourself. But for the money, there aren't more than a handful of cars that can match it for style, sportiness, and fun.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

My girlfriend has been considering purchasing a Cooper S...unfortunately, I have been only dreaming about buying a 911 S.  :(

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on June 21, 2010, 10:13:25 PM
My girlfriend has been considering purchasing a Cooper S...unfortunately, I have been only dreaming about buying a 911 S.  :(

My pick of the litter would have to be a first generation Cooper S with the JCW upgrade kit. That was before BMW made it a factory option. It was a bit more hardcore. And it had a real LSD.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on June 21, 2010, 10:15:32 PM
My pick of the litter would have to be a first generation Cooper S with the JCW upgrade kit. That was before BMW made it a factory option. It was a bit more hardcore. And it had a real LSD.

Right now, I'm just happy she want's one with a stick. 

But, if pricing would allow it, I would absolutely steer her in that direction. 

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on June 21, 2010, 10:18:47 PM
Right now, I'm just happy she want's one with a stick. 

But, if pricing would allow it, I would absolutely steer her in that direction. 

They're not the most reliable cars on earth. Be aware of that fact.

Laconian

Stupid stupid stupid. The obvious outcome occurred. Lame, contrived PR.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

Quote from: Laconian on June 21, 2010, 10:25:31 PM
Stupid stupid stupid. The obvious outcome occurred. Lame, contrived PR.

This is a lot more fun than if they spent money on some new commercial

Laconian

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 21, 2010, 10:47:14 PM
This is a lot more fun than if they spent money on some new commercial
Maybe. Corporate "viral" ad campaigns tend to backfire on me, anyways.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on June 21, 2010, 10:19:45 PM
They're not the most reliable cars on earth. Be aware of that fact.

I'm aware - her Saab hasn't been the most reliable vehicle either, though thankfully, most problems have come mostly from annoying but harmless electronic issues, and nothing mechanical. 

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on June 22, 2010, 12:05:34 AM
I'm aware - her Saab hasn't been the most reliable vehicle either, though thankfully, most problems have come mostly from annoying but harmless electronic issues, and nothing mechanical. 

The turbo is going to be better for her to drive in every single way.  It's bigger, more comfortable, more powerful, and definitely more reliable.  I'd prefer they stuck the turbo in the old Mini body, but since that isn't happening, the new shape Mini is the one to get.  While the older one may handle better, the new one is almost as good, and if you want to make it more hardcore, you always can. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.