Precision + feedback
13 (59.1%)
Neither (late 70s domestic)
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

SVT32V

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 30, 2010, 12:02:54 PM
that drag racer is about as precise as a giant spork

You think getting that kind of power to hook and not drive into the wall is done with oxcart suspension tuning?

Vinsanity

Precision as is going around turns, not holding a straight line. That was the context in which this whole thread was being discussed. Sorry I was under the impression that drag racers with giant rear slicks and pizza cutter front tires and a big-ass blower up front weren't built for that sort of thing.

68_427

preciseness: the quality of being reproducible in amount or performance; "he handled it with the preciseness of an automaton"; "note the meticulous precision of his measurements"
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT32V

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 30, 2010, 12:44:09 PM
Precision as is going around turns, not holding a straight line. That was the context in which this whole thread was being discussed. Sorry I was under the impression that drag racers with giant rear slicks and pizza cutter front tires and a big-ass blower up front weren't built for that sort of thing.

I didn't mean to seem like a jackass, it just brought up an interesting point that such a drag car does have a sophisticated setup to put that power down.  Yes it is a different kind of handling, but it is handling just the same. Getting consistent launches and not driving into the wall during the shifts takes some serious suspension tuning that is no less sophisticated than a road racer.   Just putting giant sticky tires is not going to do it.

68_427

Quote from: SVT32V on June 30, 2010, 02:05:49 PM
I didn't mean to seem like a jackass, it just brought up an interesting point that such a drag car does have a sophisticated setup to put that power down.  Yes it is a different kind of handling, but it is handling just the same. Getting consistent launches and not driving into the wall during the shifts takes some serious suspension tuning that is no less sophisticated than a road racer.   Just putting giant sticky tires is not going to do it.

This was the point I was trying to make with that post.  Thank you.
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 68_427 on June 30, 2010, 12:24:51 PM
You know because you've driven it?  Or know anything about it?
I would pay top dollar to see that thing race a stock C6 on a road course. Precise my ass.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 30, 2010, 03:30:16 PM
I would pay top dollar to see that thing race a stock C6 on a road course. Precise my ass.
It seems that you think precision only applies to cornering.  They were simply making a point.

Vinsanity

Quote from: SVT32V on June 30, 2010, 02:05:49 PM

No worries. You make a good point about the precision it takes to keep a beast like that on the straight and narrow (it does deserve to be mentioned), but the context of the original premise was cornering.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on June 30, 2010, 03:35:50 PM
It seems that you think precision only applies to cornering.  They were simply making a point.
Yet this thread was started about going fast vs. turning ability. Precision with regard to putting down power doesn't apply.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: thecarnut on June 30, 2010, 06:11:55 PM
Yet this thread was started about going fast vs. turning ability. Precision with regard to putting down power doesn't apply.

Nowhere does the OP state this.  Even though we all know what he meant.  I just like to look at it other ways to get a reaction out of people.  Life is way more interesting that way.
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

If you guys consider precision the ability to keep a car in a straight line for a quarter mile.... :huh:

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 30, 2010, 07:59:22 PM
If you guys consider precision the ability to keep a car in a straight line for a quarter mile.... :huh:

It boggles the mind that a car enthusiast could not understand or appreciate that getting to 190 mph in a 7 second 1/4 mile is challenging and takes serious engineering of the suspension.  For that matter running 10s is not easy.
Yeah just bolt a big turbo on, point and squirt, it will go straight down the track, its that easy :rolleyes:
Something tells me you have never hammered a car with any real amount of hp or you would understand.

SVT32V

Quote from: thecarnut on June 30, 2010, 06:11:55 PM

Part of precise handling is putting power down, not just in a straight line but coming out of turns etc. A suboptimal rear suspension might axle hop or deflect among other possibilities that would greatly decrease handling.  Fwders also have the problem of asking the front tires to do all of the turning and acceleration, in higher hp models this certainly takes away from precise handling.

goldenlover1101

Brute Force, I want a new Camaro Z28 so bad. A Corvette ZR1 is one of my top dream cars, which I assume is counted as a brute force?

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

BimmerM3

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on June 30, 2010, 11:11:19 PM
Brute Force, I want a new Camaro Z28 so bad. A Corvette ZR1 is one of my top dream cars, which I assume is counted as a brute force?

I would say that the ZR1 is more brute force than precision, but I think it's precise enough to be taken out of consideration for this thread.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 30, 2010, 07:59:22 PM
Obviously you've never tried it with a truly powerful car.  It ain't easy. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT32V on June 30, 2010, 09:28:51 PM
It boggles the mind that a car enthusiast could not understand or appreciate that getting to 190 mph in a 7 second 1/4 mile is challenging and takes serious engineering of the suspension.  For that matter running 10s is not easy.
Yeah just bolt a big turbo on, point and squirt, it will go straight down the track, its that easy :rolleyes:
Something tells me you have never hammered a car with any real amount of hp or you would understand.
Who says I don't appreciate it? All I'm saying is it takes a bit more effort to make a solid + precise + powerful road car than a single purpose drag car. A good drag car has to keep its wheels on the ground and stay straight while accelerating. Tough with 1000 HP, but not as tough as say, making a 500 HP car keep its wheels on the ground, regardless of the ground condition or what the car is doing, accelerate effectively whether the car is going straight or turning, maintain stability while braking both in a straight line and while turning, etc. etc... you're talking about designing for 2 criteria vs designing for 10+ :huh:

Again not a knock at designing an effective drag car, just saying it's harder to design a car to do a lot of things well than to design a car w/a single purpose

68_427

I bet that car took more work than to make a Chevy blazer handle well.
'racecar is die'
no