Have the Koreans Gotten it Right?

Started by WookieOnRitalin, June 22, 2010, 09:48:54 AM

Payman

Quote from: the Teuton on June 22, 2010, 07:24:53 PM
The Koreans are starting to get everything right. But there's a reason they still come with 10-year warranties: they need 'em.

Dynamics are on par with the Japanese. Interior quality, imo, has surpassed the Japanese with this new generation. And to say the GDI isn't one of the most advanced engines ever produced would be retarded.

Reliability isn't quite there yet.

What exactly are you saying? They aren't reliable... they're better than the Japanese cars... but they aren't reliable?

the Teuton

Quote from: Rockraven on June 22, 2010, 07:33:49 PM
What exactly are you saying? They aren't reliable... they're better than the Japanese cars... but they aren't reliable?

Pretty much.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Except Toyotas are the least reliable cars out there at this point.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 22, 2010, 07:35:08 PM
Except Toyotas are the least reliable cars out there at this point.

No, they aren't. They'll keep you moving, and they're none too eager to brake. But they'll still likely run for a long, long time once you get past the unintended parts.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 22, 2010, 07:36:24 PM
No, they aren't. They'll keep you moving, and they're none too eager to brake. But they'll still likely run for a long, long time once you get past the unintended parts.

What is less reliable than a Toyota? Nothing I can think of.

Onslaught

The Koreans are starting to get everything right. But there's a reason they still come with 10-year warranties: they need 'em.

Dynamics are on par with the Japanese. Interior quality, imo, has surpassed the Japanese with this new generation. And to say the GDI isn't one of the most advanced engines ever produced would be retarded.

I think it has more to do with reputation. They have to get people into the cars and let's face it, "I drive a Hyundai" still sounds bad. Even if it shouldn't anymore.
I know many people who got a Hyundai just for the warranties and then it turned out they actually liked the car after having it for some time.

I don't keep up with problems with all the makes. But what's keeping a modern Hyundai from being reliable?

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 22, 2010, 07:37:24 PM

My cell phone, for one thing. My parents' Maytag washer and dryer for another...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 22, 2010, 07:38:56 PM
My cell phone, for one thing. My parents' Maytag washer and dryer for another...

You were supposed to say Subaru.

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on June 22, 2010, 07:38:27 PM
I think it has more to do with reputation. They have to get people into the cars and let's face it, "I drive a Hyundai" still sounds bad. Even if it shouldn't anymore.
I know many people who got a Hyundai just for the warranties and then it turned out they actually liked the car after having it for some time.

I don't keep up with problems with all the makes. But what's keeping a modern Hyundai from being reliable?

I pick up customers all the time from various dealers. While I don't have anything other than empirical evidence, most Honda owners, for instance, talk about tune ups, timing belts, freak mishaps. Hyundai owners are talking about 2011 Sonatas they've owned for three weeks that are overheating, cars with stalling problems, etc.

It's not scientific, but I've heard more "At least it has a 10-year warranty" jokes than I thought I would. All of the owners like their cars a lot...when they're running properly.

Jon?

Quote from: the Teuton on June 22, 2010, 07:42:10 PM
I pick up customers all the time from various dealers. While I don't have anything other than empirical evidence, most Honda owners, for instance, talk about tune ups, timing belts, freak mishaps. Hyundai owners are talking about 2011 Sonatas they've owned for three weeks that are overheating, cars with stalling problems, etc.

It's not scientific, but I've heard more "At least it has a 10-year warranty" jokes than I thought I would. All of the owners like their cars a lot...when they're running properly.

Hyundai doesn't care.  They don't need repeat customers.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

2o6

Are you sure? There are a handful of complaints (due to the nature of your job, and the Sonata is in it's first MY) but generally other models have gotten good reliability reviews.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on June 22, 2010, 04:13:42 PM
They've come a long way. I work on Korean cars and they're put together well these days. Years ago I found them to be a joke. You could pull the radiator support WAY out of shape with one arm back then. It was like working on a beer car with cheap plastic screwed on it. But now every car is built as good as anything at or near the same price. And every new car that comes out is much better than the last one.

And I've said it before even if it wouldn't matter to any of you. They make the easiest cars to work on. They should show all the others how to make some of this stuff.
There was a time people said this about Hondas....

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 22, 2010, 08:38:22 PM
There was a time people said this about Hondas....
Yes, and the Koreans are getting better even faster then the Japanese did.

AutobahnSHO

I have a friend who is fairly smart about finances and life in general, he wants a Forte Koup just because they're a decent buy, look nice, and he doesn't need anything more right now.

As cheezy as they are, I would buy a Soul if I could find one cheap enough. (From what I've seen/read. Testdrive would be required, as well..)
Will

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 22, 2010, 07:37:24 PM

Land Rover perhaps. 

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on June 22, 2010, 07:38:27 PM

Exactly, there was a time when "Made in Japan" was a synonym for poorly designed and manufactured cheap tinny crap.  "Made in Hong Kong" carried much the same connotation.  Hyundai was similarly labeled that way when their first cars hit our shores.  At the time the only car sold here with a poorer reputation was the Yugo.  My guess is it generally takes a human generation, about 20 years, for those kind of reputations to change. 

Jon?

They've come a long way since the 'Pony'.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Byteme

Quote from: the Teuton on June 22, 2010, 07:42:10 PM

But what you don't encounter is the other 99.9% of the car buying public that don't have problems and hence aren't at the dealership with their cars.

ChrisV

I've driven the Soul and really like it. I loved the funky style, however from the first viewing.

And now the Optima...

I'd have to drive one, but so far, it looks really good.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

2o6

The Optima is literally the best looking midsized sedan on the market.

I'd even put it ahead of the VW CC.

the Teuton

Yes that car is rather good looking.  Though I imagine that C pillar blocks rearward visibility,

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on June 23, 2010, 10:09:19 AM
The Optima is literally the best looking midsized sedan on the market.

I'd even put it ahead of the VW CC.

I don't like it anymore.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on June 22, 2010, 01:42:13 PM
The problem with the auto industry and chasing market share is product development cycles. It takes 4-5+ years to develop a product yet tastes/economies/regulations/et al., can change in a week. If like Toyota you chase the truck/SUV craze and catch it right it can catapult you to the top of the heap, but when things change that inertia can have the opposite effect.

Overall Toyota quite possibly would have been financially better off had it not gone down the "want"-based products (Tundra/Sequioa/Highlander/FJ/LX/GX, etc.) and instead thrown all that money into existing "need"-based products (Camry, Corolla, Rav4, Tacoma, etc.) but then again it likely never would have become the world's largest and richest automaker (for a short time).

You're probably right about that.  Not easy to be the life when you're late to the party.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

I went to the Kia website to build a 2011 Optima, but that feature isn't available yet. So I did the next best thing... I built a 2011 Sonata. 2.0T, 6 speed auto (for a family car the wife can drive), nav, leather heated seats... basically a loaded car. Applying this info and price to the Optima, and given $5000 down and $5000 trade (the STS), I'm looking at less than $270/month purchase financing. I think this might be my next new car buy.

omicron

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on June 28, 2010, 10:19:51 AM
I went to the Kia website to build a 2011 Optima, but that feature isn't available yet. So I did the next best thing... I built a 2011 Sonata. 2.0T, 6 speed auto (for a family car the wife can drive), nav, leather heated seats... basically a loaded car. Applying this info and price to the Optima, and given $5000 down and $5000 trade (the STS), I'm looking at less than $270/month purchase financing. I think this might be my next new car buy.

Have you seen the Sonata in person?  Absolutely hideous. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on June 28, 2010, 11:38:15 AM

I saw my first the other day. Undoubtedly, the new Hyundai Pickled Anchovy.

Vinsanity

I love how it looks from the back and the side. If the front-end styling gets toned down a bit for a mid-cycle refresh in a few years, that would be just lovely. Besides, he's looking at buying the new Optima, not the Sonata.

Payman

Your reading comprehender broke, numbnuts.