Hi.

Started by 2o6, June 23, 2010, 06:06:48 PM

NomisR

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 23, 2010, 05:27:30 PM
have you parallel-parked your car on a downtown city street yet?

Parallel parking with no power steering would be really hard.. regular city street, not too bad, but if it's something like NYC where everything is literally bumper to bumper, i'd kill myself.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on August 23, 2010, 04:23:52 PM

Yeah, no.
No assist on a steering rack with a ratio designed for power steering = Yeah, yeah.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 23, 2010, 04:00:24 PM
that maybe true in a MR 2000-lb street-legal go-kart like an Elise :lol:

but power steering is a must in anything with a FF layout.

Well, more importantly, aren't you risking damage if you drive a power-steering car without power steering? (Not that it's necessarily going to do more damage than fixing it now would cost anyway)

2o6

My power steering does work. Sometimes it feels really light, and sometimes it feels kinda heavy. No
problems as of yet (and Neons.org says generally this is a dummy code and typically means a connector is dirty).

Quote from: ifcar on August 23, 2010, 05:42:26 PM
Well, more importantly, aren't you risking damage if you drive a power-steering car without power steering? (Not that it's necessarily going to do more damage than fixing it now would cost anyway)

PS works (fine, but it sometimes feels a bit odd, as described above) so I'm going to ignore it.

Quote from: NomisR on August 23, 2010, 05:35:42 PM
Parallel parking with no power steering would be really hard.. regular city street, not too bad, but if it's something like NYC where everything is literally bumper to bumper, i'd kill myself.

There are plenty of Neons with the PS delete. I was looking at one that has the A/C and PS delete. I would have bought it, but since it was an AT to MT conversion the CEL was on, giving codes for the AT lockup and such. And since I would either have to

- Get a new PCM from an MT car

- Swap an AT into the car

to get the CEL off. Otherwise, the car would be unable to pass Emissions.

hotrodalex

Running no P/S on a P/S car is fine. You can burn out the P/S pump if it's still connected and doesn't have enough fluid, like I did, but other than that it should be fine. I believe the steering is sloppier, though.

CJ

I'd check the fluid level.

2o6

Hit my 1,000 mile anniversery sometime a few days ago.

Impressions:

- I have been misreading the fuel gauge, and thus miscalculating the MPG's. I'm getting around 24-25 in the city. My bad.

- This car is nice to handle and drive. It's odd how people don't care how their car drives......I like going around corners and feeling like the car isn't going to roll over.

- When street parking, I miss my passenger side mirror. I can't see how close I am to the street.

- Pulls well in 5th.

- Passenger side footwell seems really shallow. Seat doesn't move that far back.

Problems

- PS Leak. Very slow though, so I can afford to simply put in PS fluid every now and again. It's been 1000 miles and this is the first time in which it has become (somewhat) of a problem.

- Coolant hose needed a clamp, re-clamped and so far, the problem of running the coolant out and overheating has not happened anymore.

- Parking brake still broken (slipped off handle). I should probably fix that.

- Driver's seat is still broken, doesn't want to sit up. It's ok, though. I'm comfortable. (It's stuck somewhere in the middle)

- It has this strange niggle, sometimes If it stalls (I replicated this a few days ago by manually letting it stall in 4th) I can't get it started again. The Speedo drops to zero, I still have electrics (but I lose steering and brake vacuum) and no matter what, I can't get it to start. It will crank all day, but not start. I have to turn the ignition all the way off (usually I take the key out) and then put it back in and start the car. This has only happened to me a couple of times, so I'm not worried. But why is this happening?

Otherwise, It's treat me well for a $1000 beater car that has had no "real" problems yet. I love it.

Laconian

You shouldn't be calculating the MPGs by reading the fuel gauge? You are supposed to zero the odometer when you fill up your gas tank, and then when you have to fill up again, divide the odometer reading by the volume of the gas required to refill the tank.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on September 01, 2010, 06:40:34 PM
You shouldn't be calculating the MPGs by reading the fuel gauge? You are supposed to zero the odometer when you fill up your gas tank, and then when you have to fill up again, divide the odometer reading by the volume of the gas required to refill the tank.

........stuff you learn.  :banghead:

Laconian

Yeah, those gauges are a joke. Particularly in Japanese cars, where they hang onto F for half the tank and then drop like a rock to E.

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on September 01, 2010, 06:46:56 PM
Yeah, those gauges are a joke. Particularly in Japanese cars, where they hang onto F for half the tank and then drop like a rock to E.

Hey, my Boobaru did that!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

BENZ BOY15

SVT_Power

Quote from: NomisR on August 23, 2010, 03:34:32 PM
Powersteering's overrated anyways.. you don't need it...

I wish I had a car without power steering. Not a power steering equipped car with a non-functioning power steering, but a car properly designed without power steering...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: CJ on August 23, 2010, 08:05:58 PM
I'd check the fluid level.

And don't forget the blinker fluid while you're at it.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

heelntoe

Quote from: 2o6 on September 01, 2010, 06:37:52 PM
- It has this strange niggle, sometimes If it stalls (I replicated this a few days ago by manually letting it stall in 4th) I can't get it started again. The Speedo drops to zero, I still have electrics (but I lose steering and brake vacuum) and no matter what, I can't get it to start. It will crank all day, but not start. I have to turn the ignition all the way off (usually I take the key out) and then put it back in and start the car. This has only happened to me a couple of times, so I'm not worried. But why is this happening?
A friend's Fiat Palio did that. You'd have to turn off the ignition and start over every time the car stalls. are you sure that's not supposed to happen?
@heelntoe

r0tor

The ps in my girlfriends neon doesn't work half the time in parking lots... Tis always fun wrestling with it

Actually I'm not sure it works at all half of the time -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

omicron

Quote from: Laconian on September 01, 2010, 06:46:56 PM

Or in Jaguar XJs with the dual fuel tanks, when a heavy foot away from the lights meant watching the needle sweep majestically from F to E in three seconds.

2o6

Rupert

Yup, that's a Neon. Look, leaves on the ground!

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sparkplug

Be careful driving that car around. It's more than an old fiesta but a bread truck will make it into a can.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

TBR

Quote from: sparkplug on November 03, 2010, 09:26:43 PM
Be careful driving that car around. It's more than an old fiesta but a bread truck will make it into a can.

A light pole will too...

2o6

Quote from: sparkplug on November 03, 2010, 09:26:43 PM

OK

omicron

I thought you had written 'Fail pics', and I was going to vehemently agree.

Dang.

MrH

Quote from: omicron on November 04, 2010, 01:36:27 AM
I thought you had written 'Fail pics', and I was going to vehemently agree.

Dang.

:clap:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV