John Heinricy shifting the **** out of the old ZR-1

Started by 565, June 27, 2010, 06:26:10 PM

Scroll to the 1:55 mark or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgyIrH4OiZw

I remember back in the day alot of magazines had trouble matching the times quoted for the ZR-1.  Probably it's because they didn't try their hardest to stomp the clutch through the floorwell. 

Man I don't know how he doesn't massively lose traction going into 2nd when power shifting like that.  Maybe if you do it fast enough there is a small enough gap in power delivery that you don't lose traction.  I just know that whenever I shift hard into 2nd and get on the gas, I break loose like crazy.

sportyaccordy

Well FWIW, doesn't the Corvette's 1st gear go to 50 MPH or so? Still, damn good driving; I don't think he broke traction once. Maybe they were on a hot prepped track? I'm surprised they did that test w/the roof out

SVT666

Eye of the Tiger

Not impressed. I can shift faster than that, and I suck at life.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

I went through a phase where I was really obnoxious to my 4runner--dropping the clutch, shifting too fast for the transmission, throwing it into lower gears when I didn't have to--which was probably a big reason why I had to replace the clutch at 75K. This video reminds me a lot of the stupid shit I used to do.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

The clutch in my SVT Focus has been pretty impressive thus far.  I shift hard every time I drive and it doesn't matter where i'm driving.  The aftermarket tune I got revised the engine management system to allow the revs drop off real fast for hard driving.  Now I have to shift faster then normal even in lazy driving to prevent rough engagements.  I have put 30,000 hard driven miles on my car and the clutch is holding up great.  The car now has 80,000 miles and it's still on the original clutch. *knocks on wood*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on June 28, 2010, 09:30:09 AM
I went through a phase where I was really obnoxious to my 4runner--dropping the clutch, shifting too fast for the transmission, throwing it into lower gears when I didn't have to--which was probably a big reason why I had to replace the clutch at 75K. This video reminds me a lot of the stupid shit I used to do.

It's only stupid in a 4Runner
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Nothing special really - Rodder types have been doing it for ever - it's called power shifting.

It has nothing specifically to do with hitting the clutch hard. He's trying to get the fastest actuation as he's not lifting off the gas during the shift (fast actuation = hopefully not hitting the rev limiter as the engine for a split moment is under full throttle but no load).

He's simply abusing the whiz out of the car. Any times had that way are bogus IMO. Sure you'll get a wee bit better times but the car isn't designed for it and will not last long at all. Specifically, note the syncro crunch on the 1-2 shift. Read the fine print on any reputable car mag's testing procedures and they'll specifically state they do clutch in/gas off shifting.

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on June 28, 2010, 12:54:07 PM
Any times had that way are bogus IMO. Sure you'll get a wee bit better times but the car isn't designed for it and will not last long at all. Read the fine print on any reputable car mag's testing procedures and they'll specifically state they do clutch in/gas off shifting.

LOL car mags also do clutch drop launches.  The car "will not last long at all" doing that and those times are bogus

:rastaman:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 28, 2010, 06:03:22 PM

LOL car mags also do clutch drop launches.  The car "will not last long at all" doing that and those times are bogus

:rastaman:

Nah, dumping the clutch ain't extreme abuse like power shifting is save for something extreme like a 600 hp/2500 lb-ft Peterbilt.