Met some interesting Americans today...

Started by cawimmer430, July 06, 2010, 06:45:27 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 06, 2010, 03:54:52 PM
Thinking about it, what good food is Germany known for? I would probably play it safe there too, I don't think Germans are known for their cuisine.

Typical German food is pretty hefty on the meat side, high in fat and calories and because of that usually very delicious. I'd say the typical representative foods of German cuisine are the Schweinebraten with Kn?del (oven-cooked pork with dumplings):

Wienerschnitzel with potato salad...

We have too many sausages to list...

Wei?w?rste (Veal sausage)

N?rnberger Rostbratwurst with Sauerkraut

Gegrilltes Hendl mit Kartoffelsalat roasted chicken with potato salad - very popular at social events

Wurstsalat (meat salad)

Schweinshaxn pork leg

Forelle a la M?llerin Art (trout M?ller style)

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cuisine  :ohyeah:

Wimmer's Tip: Always order WIENERSCHNITZEL when you're in Germany. It's usually lean meat and comes with large portions of either fries or potato salad. Plus you usually get a free salad to go with it. You can't go wrong. And it tastes good.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 06, 2010, 04:01:38 PM
Oh, and I'm assuming a large in Germany is similar to the small size in America. :lol:

This is a large at a German Burger King.

There's no such thing as free-refills here though - except at Subway:ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

68_427

This looks like someone put sausage gravy into a meat casing.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 06, 2010, 04:08:00 PM
This is a large at a German Burger King.

There's no such thing as free-refills here though - except at Subway:ohyeah:

I guess that's not too bad. About the size of a medium in America, maybe a bit bigger. Having no free refills is a shame, though. I love my refills.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

Quote from: 68_427 on July 06, 2010, 04:08:33 PM
This looks like someone put sausage gravy into a meat casing.

It's the traditional dish of Bavaria. It's served with a big pretzel and sweet mustard.  :ohyeah:

Weisswurst (German About this sound Wei?wurst (help?info), literally white sausage; Austro-Bavarian: Wei?wuascht) is a traditional Bavarian  sausage  made from very finely minced veal and fresh pork bacon. It is usually flavoured with parsley, also known as beiderl, lemon, mace, onions, ginger and cardamom, though there are some variations. The mixture is then stuffed into fresh, clean pork casings and separated into individual sausages about ten to twelve centimeters in length and about two centimeters in thickness.

As it is very perishable, Weisswurst is traditionally manufactured early in the morning and prepared and eaten as a snack between breakfast and lunch?there is a saying that the sausages should not be allowed to hear the church bells' noon chime.[1] Traditionally, Weisswurst may only be served until midday due to the fact that the meat is not smoked and hence the sausage is made fresh every day. Before modern refrigeration technologies, in summertime the sausages would go bad before nightfall. Even today, most Bavarians eat their Weisswurst before noon.

The sausages are heated in water, broth, or white wine just short of boiling, for about ten minutes, which will turn them greyish-white because no color-preserving nitrite is used in Weisswurst preparation.

Weisswurst is brought to the table in a big bowl together with the cooking liquid used for preparation (so it does not cool down too much), then eaten without the skin.[2] Ways of eating Weisswurst include the traditional way, called zuzeln, in which each end of the sausage is cut or bitten open, then the meat is sucked out from the skin.[3][1] Alternatively, the more popular and more discreet ways of consuming it are by cutting the sausage in half in the long direction so that the lower part of the skin remains intact, and then "rolling out" the meat from the skin with a fork, or just ripping the sausage apart and consuming the filling.[3]

Weisswurst is commonly served with a special Bavarian sweet mustard (Weisswurstsenf) and accompanied by Brezen and Weissbier.[3]

Weisswurst is rarely eaten in parts of Germany besides Bavaria although it is available at well-assorted grocery stores and butcheries throughout most of the country?a fact that helped coin the term Wei?wurst?quator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weisswurst

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 06, 2010, 04:10:44 PM
I guess that's not too bad. About the size of a medium in America, maybe a bit bigger. Having no free refills is a shame, though. I love my refills.

Quote from: 68_427 on July 06, 2010, 04:12:12 PM
Small picture but you get the idea.

Yep. I get the idea.  :devil:

:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Mustangfan2003

Cawimmer I gotta say I love your countries cars but I'm not sure about the food, but the roasted chicken I think I might like.  My grandmother makes sauerkraut sometimes because we have some German roots and I've never liked it. 

Laconian

I had sauerkraut with sausages in France and it was pretty darn good. It also made for some weird farts for a day or so after.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Laconian on July 06, 2010, 09:01:09 PM
I had sauerkraut with sausages in France and it was pretty darn good. It also made for some weird farts for a day or so after.

:wtf:

Rupert

I am a huge fan of German food. Just tonight, I had a gourmet sausage with sauerkraut and hot mustard.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Mustangfan2003

I think we got a German restaurant here in town if it's still open.  Might have to give it a try.

Rupert

One of my all time favorite restaurants is here in Boise. It's a mom and pop place, and they specialize in authentic Eastern European food. Soooooooo gooooooood.....!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Minpin

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 06, 2010, 03:54:52 PM
Thinking about it, what good food is Germany known for? I would probably play it safe there too, I don't think Germans are known for their cuisine.

Duuuuuude. Seriously? Americans eat German cuisine each and every day without realizing it. You must check out some German restaurants. Not only do they have fantastic food, they have beer menu's out the wazoo!  :rockon:

I'm gonna have to agree with Psilos and say it's some of my favorite food.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Middle_Path

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 06, 2010, 09:42:41 PM
I think we got a German restaurant here in town if it's still open.  Might have to give it a try.

And if you are friends with CJ then you live in my town too. It's called Bavarian Grill. Good stuff, but I gotta warn you some of the German foods are downright funky. Good place that's been around forever though.

Wimmer, that Rostbratwurst with kraut looks awesome. Don't know what kind of sausage that is(looks excellent though), but I make something kinda similar(kielbasa, kraut, and "cowboy beans.") Also, you can't screw up roasted chicken, muy bueno.

edit: Hurrr...Durrr....Rostbratwurst.....roasted or grilled bratwurst. I eat that shit all the time with kraut, spicy mustard, and maybe fresh onion/relish. EXCELLENT!
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Mustangfan2003

Not in the same town, I'm from Mississippi.  I've just known Clay a while through the internet.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 06, 2010, 08:52:44 PM
Cawimmer I gotta say I love your countries cars but I'm not sure about the food, but the roasted chicken I think I might like.  My grandmother makes sauerkraut sometimes because we have some German roots and I've never liked it. 

Food tastes are subjective. No offense taken.  :ohyeah:

I don't like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for instance.  :tounge:

Oh, and I hate Sauerkraut to!  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Middle_Path on July 07, 2010, 04:42:58 AM
Wimmer, that Rostbratwurst with kraut looks awesome. Don't know what kind of sausage that is(looks excellent though), but I make something kinda similar(kielbasa, kraut, and "cowboy beans.") Also, you can't screw up roasted chicken, muy bueno.

edit: Hurrr...Durrr....Rostbratwurst.....roasted or grilled bratwurst. I eat that shit all the time with kraut, spicy mustard, and maybe fresh onion/relish. EXCELLENT!

That's the N?rnberger Rostbratwurst which is incredibly fatty and has a light herbal taste to it.  :ohyeah:

What's really tasty is the Schweinsw?rstl, but there's no decent picture of them on the whole Internet for some weird reason!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 07, 2010, 08:24:03 AM
Not in the same town, I'm from Mississippi.  I've just known Clay a while through the internet.

I just remembered where I remember your screename from!

MCAD, MT AND truestreets....

CJ

Quote from: Middle_Path on July 07, 2010, 04:42:58 AM
And if you are friends with CJ then you live in my town too. It's called Bavarian Grill. Good stuff, but I gotta warn you some of the German foods are downright funky. Good place that's been around forever though.

I don't like Bavarian Grill.  I'm not a huge fan of German cuisine, to be honest. 

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: 2o6 on July 07, 2010, 07:53:37 PM

I just remembered where I remember your screename from!

MCAD, MT AND truestreets....

Yep, you caught me.

SVT_Power

There's a german place run by actual german people just outside of the city here. (This whole area used to be a German area apparently)

So damn good.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Nethead

The Nethead here's absolute favorite German foods were jagerschnitzel and brunettes, together or separately.  I like corned beef & cabbage, too, which is probably an Americanized German dish.
So many stairs...so little time...

Mustangfan2003

Now if you ever want to eat a sauerkraut sandwich again, you gotta show me on this map where they are, you gotta tell me how many there are, and you gotta tell me what kinda artillery they're carrying with 'em.

thewizard16

Not all German food is suspect. I had some great ravioli-like things while I was there, and the cheese Sp?tzle I had at a little mill restaurant outside Schorndorf is officially one of my favorite foods ever. Weinerschnitzel is also good, and although it's not German, I fell in love with the doner kebab despite initially thinking it sounded terrible. I hate sauerkraut though, and you people put that with everything. Also, I refuse to eat white sausage. The regular brats I'm okay with.
Also, Apfelschorle is amazingly good for something seemingly simple.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

mzziaz

You guys are useless.

Sauerkraut is excellent, although an aquired taste.
Cuore Sportivo

Raza

Sausage, sauerkraut, meat, and potatoes.  Sounds like heaven to me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mustangfan2003

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 08, 2010, 01:15:13 PM
Don't forget about the beer.

Nah, don't forget the babes.  :ohyeah:

Can't wait for Oktoberfest this year!  :rockon:

WIMMA DA PLAYA!  :rockon:

Who's coming over for that?

www.wimmerfotografie.de