The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

Morris Minor

Seeing pics on Reddit of hand sanitizer damage to steering wheels & interior surfaces. Stay away from that stuff.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Hand sanitizer, sunscreen, bug spray, some lotions...all potentially bad for interior surfaces.

Eye of the Tiger

Fast fact: I use WD-40 to clean shit, including my hands. Safe for most surfaces? I dunno. I like the smell.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 09, 2022, 10:48:58 AM
Hand sanitizer, sunscreen, bug spray, some lotions...all potentially bad for interior surfaces.
Patina. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 09, 2022, 03:14:28 PM
Patina.

I get into way too many interiors with "patina". I mean, I'm not a neat freak, but some peoples' cars are just disgusting.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 09, 2022, 03:23:30 PM
I get into way too many interiors with "patina". I mean, I'm not a neat freak, but some peoples' cars are just disgusting.

Can confirm.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 09, 2022, 10:48:58 AM

The hi-DEET bug juice I use camping literally melted the color off the interior pieces on the Land Cruiser.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 10, 2022, 06:19:52 AM

The hi-DEET bug juice I use camping literally melted the color off the interior pieces on the Land Cruiser.

Yeeeep. DEET loves to destroy plastics. That's why people use bug spray as a "hack" to clean up clouded plastic headlights. Just eats it away.

I wish DEET worked better. Backwoods mosquitoes give zero fucks about it. Even the crazy 98% DEET stuff. No worky.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 09, 2022, 03:14:28 PM
Patina.

I can tell when people (usually women) wear lots of lotion or makeup. Gets caked all over the spots that are frequently touched.  Gearshift, arm rest, blinker/wiper stalks, the volume knob on the radio, their favorite resting position on the steering wheel, etc.  Usually doesn't leave any damage, but man is that stuff a PITA to clean off completely after months/years of buildup.

You can learn a lot about people from detailing their cars. lol

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 10, 2022, 10:27:44 AM
I can tell when people (usually women) wear lots of lotion or makeup. Gets caked all over the spots that are frequently touched.  Gearshift, arm rest, blinker/wiper stalks, the volume knob on the radio, their favorite resting position on the steering wheel, etc.  Usually doesn't leave any damage, but man is that stuff a PITA to clean off completely after months/years of buildup.

You can learn a lot about people from detailing their cars. lol

Yeah, people are gross :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 10, 2022, 10:11:57 AM
Yeeeep. DEET loves to destroy plastics. That's why people use bug spray as a "hack" to clean up clouded plastic headlights. Just eats it away.

I wish DEET worked better. Backwoods mosquitoes give zero fucks about it. Even the crazy 98% DEET stuff. No worky.
I've not tried it, but someone on the trails maintenance team here gave me a bottle of this: https://www.sawyer.com/products/picaridin-insect-repellent

More: https://www.outdoors.org/resources/amc-outdoors/health-and-safety/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 12, 2022, 05:37:33 AM
I've not tried it, but someone on the trails maintenance team here gave me a bottle of this: https://www.sawyer.com/products/picaridin-insect-repellent

More: https://www.outdoors.org/resources/amc-outdoors/health-and-safety/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent

insect repellants that work elsewhere don't seem to faze the kinds of bugs they get in the UP.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2022, 07:54:05 AM
insect repellants that work elsewhere don't seem to faze the kinds of bugs they get in the UP.

They work well enough around town where the skeeters are smaller and far fewer in numbers. But way out in the woods...pants and long sleeves are better protection than bug spray, though still not perfect when you're constantly swarmed by like 50 of the little monsters buzzing around all over you taking stabs to find any spot of clothing that's tight against your skin.

Morris Minor

I react really badly to chigger bites. They come out in June here (GA,) work their way up your legs to the crotch & inner thigh and burrow in. It's awful. The best defense is to stay out of the brush during their season.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 12, 2022, 10:10:56 AM
They work well enough around town where the skeeters are smaller and far fewer in numbers. But way out in the woods...pants and long sleeves are better protection than bug spray, though still not perfect when you're constantly swarmed by like 50 of the little monsters buzzing around all over you taking stabs to find any spot of clothing that's tight against your skin.

When I went canoeing in the boundary waters, the mosquitoes could bite through any thick clothing except my heavy rain gear that was literally 1/8" plastic. Thick wool socks, pants, etc were no match for those crazy long mouth beaks.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 12, 2022, 08:52:35 PM
When I went canoeing in the boundary waters, the mosquitoes could bite through any thick clothing except my heavy rain gear that was literally 1/8" plastic. Thick wool socks, pants, etc were no match for those crazy long mouth beaks.

Yep.  I had the best luck with an Army gore tex jacket.  That was about the only thing I found that could keep them off during long portages. 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

I wonder if a beekeeper suit would be effective. :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 13, 2022, 07:48:42 AM
I wonder if a beekeeper suit would be effective. :lol:
Or a hazmat suit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

I claybarred the Mazda the other day. Its reputation for thin & easily-chipped paint is well earned. Fantastic color, but c'mon guys.
Also there's a barely visible mark left on the hood from bird shit - whatever's in their digestive system is bad news for paint finishes.

giant_mtb

Bug guts and bird poop are acidic, so it etches into paint/clearcoat. Can try some rubbing compound on it if it isn't too bad. But if it's barely visible...meh.

giant_mtb

This stuff is awesome.  Works great on those road line paint oopsies, too (my main use for it).  I imagine it's some sort of mineral spirits or acetone-like stuff, but in a convenient aerosol that's safe for the average user.

CaminoRacer

Does it strip the wax? I assume yes.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Also, they finally started making my favorite off-the-shelf tire shine in aerosol form.  Meguiar's Endurance.  Previously only available in gel form, which is fine for everyday road tires, but a total PITA for knobbier SUV/truck tires (as any gel is).  This shit rocks.  The instructions say to let it dry 15-20 minutes, but you're better off with an hour or two so it can soak and dry off to a finish like this.

giant_mtb

Only downside to aerosol dressings is overspray, but it cleans off easy enough. I'm probably gonna make some cardboard cutouts of 17, 18, and 19 inch circles to hold on a wheel while applying spray tire dressings to save me the hassle.

Also, Meguiar's D16101 Silicone-free Dressing........avoid. It does not last at all on tires.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 15, 2022, 07:18:03 PM
Only downside to aerosol dressings is overspray, but it cleans off easy enough. I'm probably gonna make some cardboard cutouts of 17, 18, and 19 inch circles to hold on a wheel while applying spray tire dressings to save me the hassle.

Also, Meguiar's D16101 Silicone-free Dressing........avoid. It does not last at all on tires.
Wheel Shields™

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 16, 2022, 06:32:38 AM
Wheel Shields™

Not paying $30 apiece for a plastic circle with a handle on it. :lol:

If I want to get fancy, I could buy a couple sheets of lexan or something, cut circles, and mount cheap cabinet/drawer handles to them.

giant_mtb

Buff and wax on dis guy today.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 20, 2022, 03:39:04 PM
Not paying $30 apiece for a plastic circle with a handle on it. :lol:

If I want to get fancy, I could buy a couple sheets of lexan or something, cut circles, and mount cheap cabinet/drawer handles to them.
Could be a money maker: WheelShields™ brought to you by CarSPIN. Get a TV pitchman.

giant_mtb

Was looking at the contents of some tire shine I bought the other day (some Chemical Guys aerosol stuff, I like trying anything and everything), and it appears the main shine content comes from plain old mineral oil.

Hmmmmm.